[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Diana was featured a lot in this documentary. From beginning to end. She actually came off as very likable. Great footage and photos. She nailed her solo in what looked like one take. No complaining about the time, or anything else. Others also spoke highly of her.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Diana was featured a lot in this documentary. From beginning to end. She actually came off as very likable. Great footage and photos. She nailed her solo in what looked like one take. No complaining about the time, or anything else. Others also spoke highly of her.
    Appreciate your input khansperac

when you say 'featured a lot' do you mostly mean she's seen a lot visually in the footage, or she's shown in action [getting signatures for instance ] , or she's mentioned in the reflective interviews a lot?

What does Smokey bring to the table??
    Who else is "new " that's talking about it this time around??

If Diana's featured a lot from beginning to end, surely they were interested in having her commentary , and must have informed her "you're in this a lot Miss Ross", so why in the heck did Miss "I never want this to end!" decline a chance to revisit it??

It doesn't bode well, something doesn't seem right unfortunately.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-01-2024 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I used to have an internet friend who worked as a sound technician [[something like that) on We Are teh World and I asked him specifically about what DR was like on the set. He said she could not have been nicer or easier to work with. He did say that all he remembered specifically was that she wanted to stand next to Michael Jackson in the video, and then she wanted to be by Stevie Wonder, so they put her in between them. He didn't see it as ego or anything--more like she knew them the best out of all the singers. My memory is a bit cloudy at this point, but I could swear that he said DR was originally supposed to be next to the Pointer Sisters, but didn't want to for whatever reason.
    I really appreciate knowing the perspective of someone who was actually there. Diana being between Michael & Stevie only seems natural and perfect to me. Motown music, influence and spirit pervades the room.

I find it interesting how some of you interpreted Diana not wanting to stand next to the Pointers! What came to my mind was a little different. I assumed she thought people might think the Pointers were the Supremes, and she was at that point a very established solo star. We completists know the Supremes when we see them, but as a college kid in 1985, I can tell you the average person on the street really didn't know who was who. Kind of like how most of the public assumed Aretha was a Motown artist, even though she never was.
    Interpretations are [almost always] interesting here. It didn't occur to me that some might mistake the Pointers as Supremes, and so Diana might want to avoid that.
    Aretha mistaken as a Motown artist has always been disturbing to me. I wonder how the Queen of Soul felt about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Appreciate your input khansperac

when you say 'featured a lot' do you mostly mean she's seen a lot visually in the footage, or she's shown in action [getting signatures for instance ] , or she's mentioned in the reflective interviews a lot?

What does Smokey bring to the table??
    Who else is "new " that's talking about it this time around??

If Diana's featured a lot from beginning to end, surely they were interested in having her commentary , and must have informed her "you're in this a lot Miss Ross", so why in the heck did Miss "I never want this to end!" decline a chance to revisit it??

It doesn't bode well, something doesn't seem right unfortunately.
    I don’t remember much about Smokey. Lol. Regarding Diana it was various things. Photos, live behind the scenes video, pictures of her, her name on place cards and things like that. At the end they did include a live “interview clip” that may have been filmed that night. I remember seeing it before on what may have been the first/original “behind the scenes” documentary about this night from the late 80’s/90’s?

This documentary is a trending topic on social media. I’m a little surprised at just how much of a positive impact Diana had with viewers.

I watched the Netflix doc last night. It was really well-done, I thought. It was also sad to see just how many of the participants are no longer with us.

I'm hearing a lot of Michael Jackson fans are pissed he doesn't get brought up much in the documentary... lol

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I really appreciate knowing the perspective of someone who was actually there. Diana being between Michael & Stevie only seems natural and perfect to me. Motown music, influence and spirit pervades the room.

Interpretations are [almost always] interesting here. It didn't occur to me that some might mistake the Pointers as Supremes, and so Diana might want to avoid that.
    Aretha mistaken as a Motown artist has always been disturbing to me. I wonder how the Queen of Soul felt about it?
    Very disturbed. I think they did that to a bunch of Detroit-area soul singers. Folks who didn't know any better would assume they all came from Motown.

Here’s a post from someone who saw the new film:

I watched "The Greatest Night In Pop" last night. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I had seen some outtakes of the evening over the years, so I thought I had already 'seen' it. But there is a really interesting story there. A couple of things stood out to me: Michael Jackson was probably at his peak-he looked great, he was in great voice, he seemed really humble. Lionel Richie comes across as a really great guy. And Diana Ross maybe more than anyone really seems genuinely kind and humble-I don't know why I had pegged her as a Diva. Cindy Lauper stayed in character the whole night. Bob Dylan seemed really lost-but humble. Stevie Wonder was a good-natured trouble-maker, like in school. Everyone was just human and humble. Everyone except Prince, who was at a Mexican restaurant down the street and couldn't deign to show up unless he could do a guitar solo. It seemed like they used Sheila E. to get Prince to come. And when he didn't, they gave his line to Huey Lewis. All in all, worth watching.

I watched the Netfix doc last night. may I say my takeaways? Even though I am not exactly a newbie when it comes to the music industry, I am always stunned at how good these singers really were. As a kid who came up in the 70's and 80's, I always assumed they were products of recording trickery, making them sound better than they did live. Even singers I didn't exactly think were talented back in the day, were INCREDIBLE on We Are the World. Huey Lewis comes to mind--he killed his verse!

That being said, the only two performers there that stuck out like a sore thumb to me were Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. I love Bruce's voice and was one of his original fans in the 70's, but he did not fit in with more controlled crooners like Dionne Warwick and Lionel. Bruce was also a bit melodramatic in the video like it was a heart-felt song he wrote. It wasn't. And Bob Dylan--he isn't much of a singer and that isn't exactly news. He was very humble and just hummed along when the others were singing. He knew to stay in his lane. But honestly, why was he chosen in the first place? I love him but he is not a pop singer

That being said, the only two performers there that stuck out like a sore thumb to me were Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. I love Bruce's voice and was one of his original fans in the 70's, but he did not fit in with more controlled crooners like Dionne Warwick and Lionel. Bruce was also a bit melodramatic in the video like it was a heart-felt song he wrote. It wasn't. And Bob Dylan--he isn't much of a singer and that isn't exactly news. He was very humble and just hummed along when the others were singing. He knew to stay in his lane. But honestly, why was he chosen in the first place? I love him but he is not a pop singer
    Along with Cindy Lauper, the raw emotion in Bruce Springsteen’s performance is one of the most memorable vocals from the whole We Are The World sessions, being a welcome diversion from those smooth crooners you mention.
    This was after all about sending aid to people who were literally starving to death as opposed to romantic involvement.

I watched the Netfix doc last night. may I say my takeaways? Even though I am not exactly a newbie when it comes to the music industry, I am always stunned at how good these singers really were. As a kid who came up in the 70's and 80's, I always assumed they were products of recording trickery, making them sound better than they did live. Even singers I didn't exactly think were talented back in the day, were INCREDIBLE on We Are the World. Huey Lewis comes to mind--he killed his verse!

may I say my takeaways?
    Lol. Yes, you may, and thank you. I agree that Bruce Springsteen's vocal was a bit melodramatic and jarring, especially after Dionne Warwick's and Billy Joel's, two of my favorite vocals that night. I prefer his vocal at ~7.00 minutes, when the vocals had become more impassioned compared to the more reflective ones in the beginning.

I loved that Bob Dylan was there and I enjoyed his vocal more than I usually do . I also loved that Willie Nelson was there, one of my favorite country artists. I just want to know why Dan Akroyd was there.

My takeaway: everyone was stellar on the lead vocal lines. My favorites: Dionne Warwick, Billy Joel, Kenny Loggins, Steve Perry, Huey Lewis, Ray Charles.

I'll have to watch the Netflix doc now. I've heard good reports and comments from those who have watched it.

Hi Lucky! Back in 1989, I waited on Willie Nelson several times when I worked at the Olive Garden here in Austin. We waiters would fight to not wait on him because he smelled like body odor and weed, and often forgot to leave a tip. He was nice, though. The only other celeb I recall waiters fighting to NOT wait on, was infamous athiest Madalyn O'Hair. She and her family were terrible tippers and were nasty as hell.

Anyway--one thing I learned from this documentary of We Are the World was what a logistical nightmare it was to coordinate all these performers and their touring schedules! I didn't realize that all these vocals were done in ONE NIGHT. That is pretty astounding. Bruce Springsteen literally came to record on the day after his biggest tour. That is insane--he must have been exhausted but he did it anyway. Unlike a certain purple artist.

Hi Lucky! Back in 1989, I waited on Willie Nelson several times when I worked at the Olive Garden here in Austin. We waiters would fight to not wait on him because he smelled like body odor and weed, and often forgot to leave a tip. He was nice, though. The only other celeb I recall waiters fighting to NOT wait on, was infamous athiest Madalyn O'Hair. She and her family were terrible tippers and were nasty as hell.
    Thanks for sharing Bobby. Always good to hear peeps experiences of other celebs.

Oh God if you only knew. Thanks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post

anyway--one thing i learned from this documentary of we are the world was what a logistical nightmare it was to coordinate all these performers and their touring schedules! I didn't realize that all these vocals were done in one night. That is pretty astounding.
    it is astounding, but that isn't anything that wasn't already covered in the jane fonda special
    made fifty years ago about this recording . where's the new stuff? What was netflix purpose for this revisit?
    bruce springsteen literally came to record on the day after his biggest tour. That is insane--he must have been exhausted but he did it anyway. Unlike a certain purple artist.
    diana ross can top that. She came over from doing a major feature / appearance for the american music awards on national TV, which is enough to qualify as a full night in of itself, especially for a middle-aged woman, and then went and stayed for the entirety of this recording session until she was the last performer there!! But then, as was described, she was watched closely as she was 'on it' that night!

Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-15-2024 at 02:24 AM.

As for the recalling of the witnessing of a "so on it" Diana Ross coming across the room and for some worrisome reason approaching Daryl Hall ....*

Well, which slanted media honcho would you put your faith in??

This is how netflix now tells it:

Diana Ross went up to Daryl Hall and asked for his autograph, telling him she was his biggest fan, prompting the whole group to start signing one another's music.

BUT
    back in 1985 The Los Angeles Times told a different tale:

Near the half-way mark in the session, Warwick began collecting autographs on “We Are the World” sheet music for Wonder. This led to an epidemic of autograph signing. Among the more amusing sidelights: the distinguished Belafonte bending over, asking orange-haired Lauper for an autograph.

One of the two has it completely wrong.

* as told in People magazine:

Originally Posted by Boogiedown

https://people.com/diana-ross-asked-...-world-8549478

“Diana is one of my favorite artists that I’ve ever worked with,
    but at first, she is so on it that you better be ready for her. So I had my eyes on her, and I saw her coming toward Daryl,” the song’s vocal arranger Tom Bahler tells PEOPLE of the special moment. “Diana was walking toward Daryl, and when she got there, she opened up her book like a little girl getting an autograph and she said, ‘Daryl, I’m your biggest fan. Would you please give me your autograph?’”
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-18-2024 at 12:14 PM.

As for the recalling of the witnessing of a "so on it" Diana Ross coming across the room and for some worrisome reason approaching Daryl Hall ....*

Well, which mainstream media honcho would you put your faith in??

This is how netflix now tells it:

Diana Ross went up to Daryl Hall and asked for his autograph, telling him she was his biggest fan, prompting the whole group to start signing one another's music.

BUT
    back in 1985 The Los Angeles Times told a different tale:

One of the two has it completely wrong.

* as told in People magazine:
    If i were a betting man i would go with Dionne.

Aren't we all just a bit disappointed that Diana didn't come to the studio that night demanding that Michael and Lionel re-write the song as "I am the World" and that she sing the entire lead of the song with the rest of the singers present to provide background vocals that would be set/mixed to barely audible on the record so that Miss Ross could shine ever brighter, and when that diva demand was turned down she went on a slapping spree cussing everyone out including the starving children of Ethiopia because she didn't get her way?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Aren't we all just a bit disappointed that Diana didn't come to the studio that night demanding that Michael and Lionel re-write the song as "I am the World" and that she sing the entire lead of the song with the rest of the singers present to provide background vocals that would be set/mixed to barely audible on the record so that Miss Ross could shine ever brighter, and when that diva demand was turned down she went on a slapping spree cussing everyone out including the starving children of Ethiopia because she didn't get her way?
    Lol. Not so funny is that there may be someone[s] here who is[are] probably "just a bit" disappointed.

YES !! You're right! Very good points. A total calamity was avoided!
    That's exactly what Tom Bahler was expressing his angst about!

We just have to count our blessings that grabbing Prince's intended lead with Michael and positioning herself front and center between Michael and Stevie in the choir satisfied her.

YES !! You're right! Very good points. A total calamity was avoided!
    That's exactly what Tom Bahler was expressing his angst about!

We just have to count our blessings that grabbing Prince's intended lead with Michael and positioning herself front and center between Michael and Stevie in the choir satisfied her.
    At least it wasn’t centre front and two steps forward lol. Given Diana's by then historic reputation for wanting to be the centre of attention, i’m sure everyone involved must have been holding their breath. On this occasion at least, she appeared to understand the reasons all were gathered being far more important then self ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    At least it wasn’t centre front and two steps forward lol. Given Diana's by then historic reputation for wanting to be the centre of attention, i’m sure everyone involved must have been holding their breath. On this occasion at least, she appeared to understand the reasons all were gathered being far more important then self ego.

"Don't be sticking me back there with those stinkin' Pointer Sisters!"
    hee haw!

Don't forget the footage of her hanging all over Stevie Wonder as he's pausing because he's futilely trying to deliver something usable and she's insisting they keep going because she's: "easy to get along with".

So maybe ......Netflix and the LA Times stories could each be more true than not: Maybe Dionne Warwick was first collecting signatures on behalf of Stevie Wonder and then Diana Ross observed this and decided she too would collect autographs and that started the ball rolling.

What still strikes me as suspicious is Stevie even wanting such signatures in the first place ... it's not as though he would be looking at them ....

Have any of these signed versions of the sheet music ever materialized??
    Any ever find their way to ebay ?