[REMOVE ADS]

Clear video of Mary performing Midnight Dancer on TV 1980

Just came across this on YouTube. The thing that jumps out at me are the close ups on Mary's background singers. It's as if Mary and her back ups are regarded as a Supremes type act.

The woman leaves me cold as ice. She is a bit creepy to me.

Who are these background singers?

To me this is all fine enough but it’s no surprise that this was not a hit; this song would never be a hit by anyone; it just rolls along aimlessly with no real hooks at all. Barry Manilow recently said you need a hook in 15 seconds; this song never comes up with a hook in the entire song.

This is quite subdued for Mary lol. A nice enough song let down by weak lyrics.
    The cameraman does seems to favour the backing singer to the left. I bet Diana wouldn’t have been very happy with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    She is a bit creepy to me.
    Please explain; I'm seriously interested in what you're seeing and how you define "creepy".

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Just came across this on YouTube. The thing that jumps out at me are the close ups on Mary's background singers. It's as if Mary and her back ups are regarded as a Supremes type act.

One of Mary's biggest mistakes, as evidenced by the endless amount of comments and threads, was to keep the Supremes image. The gowns should have been retired immediately.

Smartly, when Diana started her solo career, she left her backup singers in the shadows. So even though her group sound didn't change, she certainly gave the illusion of a single artist.

Personally, I've always liked "Midnight Dancer" and have thought it's much stronger than "Red Hot". Most disco have throwaway lyrics anyway; it's the beat that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Who are these background singers?

To me this is all fine enough but it’s no surprise that this was not a hit; this song would never be a hit by anyone; it just rolls along aimlessly with no real hooks at all. Barry Manilow recently said you need a hook in 15 seconds; this song never comes up with a hook in the entire song.
    They are Gloria Scott and Karen Jackson.

I always thought that this song, which was the B side of Red Hot was better than Red Hot. There was nothing on her debut album that stood out as a major hit but this would have done better than Red Hot. I always liked I Love A Warm Summer Night the most.

Mary was so used to having 2 backup singers that she always performed with a Supremes type feel. Even to her last years she performed with Parnell and Lucy. I can see why the camera operator also included close ups due to the group feel presented. He did a few close ups of Karen Jackson.

Motown told Mary they were only releasing dance music when they let her go. Her voice did well enough with these types of songs but her forte was more of what she intended her second album to be. Yes, Mary is more subdued than usual in this performance. I don't get some of the comments but I guess we can all make snarky comments about any former Supreme if we choose to because I have yet to meet a perfect human being that could not be criticized or made you feel a certain way.

Oh look! Another song about dancing for dancing sake! That never happened in the late 70's.

LOVE Mary Wilson's Midnight Dancer.

My memory is that by as late as 2010, Mary Wilson had not sold more than 10,000 copies of her solo work.

I would hope the most recent anthology sold at least a couple thousand more copies.

It’s the kind of song that gets in your head and stays there. Mary’s voice sounds as smooth as velvet, but i think she should have performed it alone to get away from the Supremes image. Good point about disco songs tending towards throwaway lyrics.
    I always found “Red Hot” to be the weakest song on the album, so was perplexed when chosen as lead single. “Midnight Dancer” or “ Warm Summer Night” were for me the obvious candidates.
    Sabotage i suspect.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 11-24-2023 at 04:59 AM.

Karen Jackson had the looks and the sound to be an official Supreme, plus she was a sweet lady. She was dedicated to Mary for about five or so years.

I like that Mary is more subdued here, she is sexy in the sheath and love the hairstyle. Was this a European tv show? When her lp came out I only saw her on Dinah and Merv Griffin. Pedro could have gotten her on Soul Train if he tried.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I always thought that this song, which was the B side of Red Hot was better than Red Hot. There was nothing on her debut album that stood out as a major hit but this would have done better than Red Hot. I always liked I Love A Warm Summer Night the most.

Mary was so used to having 2 backup singers that she always performed with a Supremes type feel. Even to her last years she performed with Parnell and Lucy. I can see why the camera operator also included close ups due to the group feel presented. He did a few close ups of Karen Jackson.

Motown told Mary they were only releasing dance music when they let her go. Her voice did well enough with these types of songs but her forte was more of what she intended her second album to be. Yes, Mary is more subdued than usual in this performance. I don't get some of the comments but I guess we can all make snarky comments about any former Supreme if we choose to because I have yet to meet a perfect human being that could not be criticized or made you feel a certain way.
    Well put all around!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    They are Gloria Scott and Karen Jackson.
    Is this the same Gloria Scott who Barry White produced back in the early '70s?

Anything was better than Red Hot. Inane, tawdry disco.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Is this the same Gloria Scott who Barry White produced back in the early '70s?
    It is!

Gloria also worked with Sly Stone and was an Ikette for a time.