[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Dancing Diana?

Dancing Diana?

Bobby C's expressed passion for all things disco ....gotta dance to keep from crying ....hee haw!

has me thinking .....yes Diana did some disco ...and did very well career wise by doing so .....[including her biggest career album singing with Chic , a #1 record with LOVE HANGOVER, and the greatest grand finale song possible with I WILL SURVIVE ] but those tunes lyrically had more than a shake your groove thing substance to them.

Amongst her 1,262 recordings, did Diana Ross ever record any songs about dancing ..... disco or other wise??

Off hand I 'm not thinking of any....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-09-2023 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Bobby C's expressed passion for all things disco ....gotta dance to keep from crying ....hee haw!

has me thinking .....yes Diana did some disco ...and did very well career wise by doing so .....[including her biggest career album singing with Chic , a #1 record with LOVE HANGOVER, and the greatest grand finale song possible with I WILL SURVIVE ] but those tunes lyrically had more than a shake your groove thing substance to them.

Amongst her 1,262 recordings, did Diana Ross ever record any songs about dancing ..... disco or other wise??

Off hand I 'm not thinking of any....
    “Keep On [Dancin’)” from “WO”
    “If The World Just Danced” from ”Thank You”.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 11-09-2023 at 12:49 PM.

thanks Ollie!!

took her long enough !!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-09-2023 at 01:05 PM.

you're right that 99.9999999% of her tunes are about love, relationships, heartache, etc. there are a few though that might qualify:

Work That Body
    those dj shows
    Shake
    having a party
    mickey's monkey [[outtake from A Go Go)
    Sweet soul music [[from RHRAB)
    Beach Ball

Here are a few maybe a little off topic but might count

Dancing on the Ceiling from the R&H set
    The Man with the Rock And Roll Banjo Band
    Heigh Ho and Supercalifragilistic
    Girls - not sure aobut this one

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    you're right that 99.9999999% of her tunes are about love, relationships, heartache, etc. there are a few though that might qualify:

Work That Body
    those dj shows
    Shake
    having a party
    mickey's monkey [[outtake from A Go Go)
    Sweet soul music [[from RHRAB)
    Beach Ball

Here are a few maybe a little off topic but might count

Dancing on the Ceiling from the R&H set
    The Man with the Rock And Roll Banjo Band
    Heigh Ho and Supercalifragilistic
    Girls - not sure aobut this one
    seems like she's avoiding the word "dance" there ....

I wonder if there was a concerted effort from day one at Motown to not have the girls be thought of as just a dance fad group .... fads are just that and get dated quickly ....mash potato ... and other girl groups were already cornering that market .... maybe there was a mandate from Berry ....no dance songs !.....

seems like she's avoiding the word "dance" there ....

I wonder if there was a concerted effort from day one at Motown to not have the girls be thought of as just a dance fad group .... fads are just that and get dated quickly ....mash potato ... and other girl groups were already cornering that market .... maybe there was a mandate from Berry ....no dance songs !.....
    well they released Buttered Popcorn which i guess would be an attempt to do a dance-fad song

how is that a dance song??

all around the world, we're popping to a brand new beat ....

how is that a dance song??

all around the world, we're popping to a brand new beat ....
    haha i think it was more about creating [[or hoping to create) a dance fad called "the popcorn" like the mashed potato, watusi, the chicken, the pony, hitch hike, etc.

well you're right the record has a dancable beat ....

but as far as The Popcorn becoming a dance in of itself ..... the dance floor is gonna be sticky and gooey .... but then again if its suitable for breakfast .... then why not ....

[Likely saved the girls from being trivialized that this record wasn't their big introduction to the world especially if with teeny boppers doing The Popcorn ...]

well you're right the record has a dancable beat ....

but as far as The Popcorn becoming a dance in of itself ..... the dance floor is gonna be sticky and gooey .... but then again if its suitable for breakfast .... then why not ....

[Likely saved the girls from being trivialized that this record wasn't their big introduction to the world especially if with teeny boppers doing The Popcorn ...]
    In a full circle moment, during their last Hollywood Palace appearance, Diana and the Supremes brought a group of kids up onto to stage to dance to LOVE CHILD. When Diana asked one little girl what dance she was doing, she answered "The Popcorn!"

thanks Ollie!!

took her long enough !!
    Your welcome. I think both these songs are great.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In a full circle moment, during their last Hollywood Palace appearance, Diana and the Supremes brought a group of kids up onto to stage to dance to LOVE CHILD. When Diana asked one little girl what dance she was doing, she answered "The Popcorn!"
    wow! could it have been a staged inside joke???

no Popcorn but
    Marvin at 3:25

wow! could it have been a staged inside joke???
    I doubt it. The Popcorn was a popular dance during that time, I gather. I'm much too young myself but I know my mother had James Brown's record MOTHER POPCORN.