[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Little Quiz

Little Quiz

Little quiz. The title of a great Funk Brothers track is featured in the opening line from a great Marvelettes song. Name the title of both songs?

Clue, the Marvelettes song was a UK single only.

Reachin' for Something I can’t Have

He was Really Saying Something
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 11-08-2023 at 01:14 PM.

Whilst researching I stumbled over these treated versions of Too Many Fish In The Sea.

What a powerful voice Georgina had!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Reachin' for Something I can’t Have

He was Really Saying Something
    Good try Mike but not correct.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Whilst researching I stumbled over these treated versions of Too Many Fish In The Sea.

What a powerful voice Georgina had!!!
    When I heard this on one of those Motown Karaoke CDs it was one of the most amazing things I'd ever heard as far as Motown records. To hear Gladys's lead as well as those backing vocals crystal clear was a real revelation. The girls were developing their vocal harmonies and were sounding great. I didn't know if others had heard this so I thought I'd share it.

OK, I think that I'll have to give you the answer. The Marvelettes song is 'Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers'. It was issued as UK only single in 1980. The opening line is 'I found the love of a "True Fine Boy" which is the title of a great track by the Funk Brothers.

That was a really hard one

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    OK, I think that I'll have to give you the answer. The Marvelettes song is 'Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers'. It was issued as UK only single in 1980. The opening line is 'I found the love of a "True Fine Boy" which is the title of a great track by the Funk Brothers.

I NEVER would have even stumbled onto this one! I was completely rutted in thinking of 60s releases- I completely forgot about this latter-day release! I was literally going line-by-line of "Reaching For Something" and "When You're Young And In Love", even checking the DFTMC site to see if any of the lines matched up with song titles!

Well done!

It was a bit of a fluke. I was playing 'Finders Keepers' for the umpteenth time when it dawned on me that Funks had a track called 'True Fine Boy' which of course had been vaulted for years.

I love "Too Many Fish" because it was still ALL Marvelettes, no Andantes on that record.

Having bought my very first Motown 45 in Spring 1964, Fall of '64 provided a crash course in the all new and improved "Motown Sound" which included The Marvs' "Too Many Fish In The Sea" along with The Sups' "Where Did Our Love Go", Martha's "Dancing In The Street", and The Tops' "Without The One You Love." What a great lesson learned! It provided a natural, musical lifetime high for which I remain forever grateful.