[REMOVE ADS]

Katy Perry Nears Feat Only Accomplished by Michael Jackson

Katy Perry Nears Feat Only Accomplished by Michael Jackson

Katy Perry looks set to have five Hot 100 chart toppers from one album

June 28, 2011

Katy Perry is unstoppable.

The pop star is probably about to match a record achieved by the King of Pop himself, Michael Jackson.

Should her latest single from her Teenage Dream album, Last Friday Night [[T.G.I.F.), hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, Perry will become just the second act, and first woman, to score five No. 1s from one album in the chart' 52-year history.

Currently, the track sits in fourth place, where it flew from No. 31 last week, behind LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem, Pitbull's Give Me Everything and Adele's Rolling in the Deep.

Perry's previous chart toppers from the album are California Gurls, the title track, Firework and E.T.

The feat was previously achieved by Michael Jackson, with the 1987 album Bad, which spawned five toppers with I Just Can't Stop Loving You, Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Man in the Mirror and Dirty Diana.

The Billboard Hot 100 will be released Thursday.

Who is Katy Perry?

Is she on Motown

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Is she on Motown
    I don't have a clue. I'm thinking she is the woman that played Al Bundy's wife, Peg on " Married With Children".

I'm not sure what label she's on. But she's a popular vocalist. She's probably best known for her songs I KISSED A GIRL and TEENAGE DREAM. There was also a bit of controversy recently over an appearance on SESAME STREET in which, I believe, she might have shown too much cleavage. She is also married to actor Russell Brand.

Not being a Chart-watcher it's of no interest to me...however if she's married to Russell Brand it comes as no surprise she kissed a girl.

I heard that song. Wasn't it just a novelty record?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I heard that song. Wasn't it just a novelty record?
    I think it might have been. I'm more familiar with TEENAGE DREAM.

That said, I stopped listening to Top 40 radio years ago, so many of these people are just names to me. But because I watch the entertainment shows like ACCESS HOLLYWOOD and ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT, I learn about them.

I DJ on weekends, and as such, am the world's oldest teenager after Dick Clark;
    Motown at home, Katy, GaGa, Rihanna,Beyonce, Pitbull,etc at work!..
    Best Of Both Worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She is also married to actor Russell Brand.
    An actor!!!

*eyes roll*

She may not be the best singer around, but she is hot in more ways than one! Her "Teenage Dream" album is eight months old now, and it's a really good pop album, her third. I doubt anyone on this forum would like it. I bought it when it came out and was instantly one of my all-time-favorites. Sure it's a sampled, Pro-Tooled production, courtesy of producer Dr. Luke, but it's fun, infectious music. I know older R&B lovers who like some of the songs.

BTW, she's on the Capitol label.

Here's an in-depth article about it:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...ppable/240986/
    Last edited by soulster; 06-29-2011 at 01:38 AM.

I only know those 2 songs.........Teenage Dream and I Kissed A Girl; but she is immensely popular. Her and that Adele lady's CD stay in the Top 10 endlessly; she sounds slightly Motownish to me.

Perhaps those two ladies have pushed Beyonce into the background a bit; never thought of that.

Um, but who is Russell Brandt?

Katy Perry does not sound Motownish to me at all. She sounds like everybody else out there right now. She's got that electronic dance pulse.

She's a beautiful gal, but she can't sing live to save her life.

Russel Brandt is her husband. He is a popular comedian/actor/personality in the UK. He's starting to gain some momentum in the U.S. He looks like a werewolf.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I only know those 2 songs.........Teenage Dream and I Kissed A Girl; but she is immensely popular. Her and that Adele lady's CD stay in the Top 10 endlessly; she sounds slightly Motownish to me.

Perhaps those two ladies have pushed Beyonce into the background a bit; never thought of that.

Um, but who is Russell Brandt?
    Russell starred in the recent ARTHUR remake. He was also in the films GET HIM TO THE GREEK and FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    An actor!!!

*eyes roll*
    Now then Mr theboyfromxtown .. at least Reese didn't describe him as "A Comedian" ..

I've seen KATY PERRY interviewed a couple of times on TV and she came across as a very pleasant and well adjusted young lady. Musically she does very catchy pop, not the sort of thing I would play at home but O.K. in its own kind of way.

Roger

If you hang around a gym, it's hard to avoid Teenage Dream and I Kissed A Girl.

I agree with Carlo that there is a lot of kind of lightweight teen girl stuff out there again........and it is VERY popular; Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and quite a few others that don't really fall in the category but come close.

I must be a lot younger at heart than I thought; I know all of Katy's big hits. I can't say that I'm a "fan", but I didn't know you could go anywhere to get away from "California Gurls" and "Firework". While I did think "I Kissed a Girl" would have been a One Hit Wonder, Katy certainly has proven that she's a bonified pop superstar.

"California Gurls" jams! It has a cool rap by Snoop Dog, too, with a call and response with Katy. The song has a nice little R&B vibe.

You just have to think "young" when you hear today's music. If you can't do that, then you'll never appreciate it.

Well I have two favorites.............one is Teenage Dream by Katy and the other is Justin Bieber & Usher.........and the other one about DJ's Got Us On The Dance Floor??