[REMOVE ADS]

The 100 Greatest Debut Albums of All Time : did not know this SUprems

Well glad someone rates Meet The Supremes that highly.

I think this may the only time Meet The Supremes gets on a 100 Greatest list. At first, I thought this may be a UK list, since WDOLG was released there as Meet The Supremes.

The compiler is very serious about the album. I love the range of all our opinions, loves, likes & dislikes.

haha ok. i guess to each their own. i think though that the importance of MTS is what it HINTED at rather than what it actually displayed. yes there are certainly moments where you can see that something magical was on the horizon. but it is just that - still on the horizon.

MTS works because you have the whole history and catalog of the group. it's a wonderful Page 1 of their story but in and of itself, it's not sensational.

if the group had disbanded and the 3 women all retired from the entertainment world, this album would be considered terrible.

What? Sinead O'Connor's first record isn't on this list? I'm storming out...And where is Chaka Khan's solo debut?

Or Dreamboat Annie by Heart? Or Hot Fuss by the Killers?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    if the group had disbanded and the 3 women all retired from the entertainment world, this album would be considered terrible.
    Sure, if the album only had "I Want a Guy" and "Who's Lovin You" on it.

Meet The Supremes is definitely not the group at it's peak in terms of, well, everything. But there is some really good stuff on the album. They definitely show their chops as singers, and the songs are mostly well written and produced. I think if it were the only material available on the Supremes, it would be considered a good effort, although mostly forgettable.

I’ve read a review where a fuss was made over the solo version of I Want A Guy on the EE- saying it hinted at what was to come.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sure, if the album only had "I Want a Guy" and "Who's Lovin You" on it.

Meet The Supremes is definitely not the group at it's peak in terms of, well, everything. But there is some really good stuff on the album. They definitely show their chops as singers, and the songs are mostly well written and produced. I think if it were the only material available on the Supremes, it would be considered a good effort, although mostly forgettable.
    I Want a Guy, Buttered Popcorn, Never Again and Who's Loving You are all very weak. he's 17 is barely much better. that's nearly 50% of the album.

Baby don't go is moderate. the group's sound is cleaner here and mary does an acceptable job. but she sounds exactly like what she was - a 16 year old right out of the high school choir. Play a sad song is ok. not too bad but not great.

Let me go, You bring back, time changes, your heart belongs are by far the strongest tracks. but 4 out of 11 does not make a strong lp

but again all of this is in the lens of MTS being their ONLY album. hearing Flo do something as meaningless as Popcorn and then going onto her lines on Makes No Difference or Good News - wow!!!! or mary's growth, or diana's growth. that's what makes the album MTS fun.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I Want a Guy, Buttered Popcorn, Never Again and Who's Loving You are all very weak. he's 17 is barely much better. that's nearly 50% of the album.

Baby don't go is moderate. the group's sound is cleaner here and mary does an acceptable job. but she sounds exactly like what she was - a 16 year old right out of the high school choir. Play a sad song is ok. not too bad but not great.

Let me go, You bring back, time changes, your heart belongs are by far the strongest tracks. but 4 out of 11 does not make a strong lp

but again all of this is in the lens of MTS being their ONLY album. hearing Flo do something as meaningless as Popcorn and then going onto her lines on Makes No Difference or Good News - wow!!!! or mary's growth, or diana's growth. that's what makes the album MTS fun.
    I disagree about "Popcorn" and "Never", both of which are favs of mine. But even if I sit aside my personal love of them both, I think they still make for good early girl group album stuff. "Popcorn" is early 60s novelty nonsense which was all the rage, while "Never" has such a heartfelt lead by someone so young. It's really a very serious song. I've never cared for "He's 17", but even it sounds like standard girl group fare.

The only two songs I would categorize as terrible on the album are "Guy" and "Who's". Even "Guy" isn't all that bad. I think the track stinks, and that coupled with Diana's whiny singing...it just doesn't come together. "Who's" is really a lot of bad singing on a stale track. Nothing on the album comes close to how badly these are.

I just don't believe that anyone would have listened to this album from beginning to end and thought "I see why these girls didn't go anywhere. This stuff is terrible!"...not when I've heard some of the stuff that girl groups were cutting at the time that did make it.

OT but I was gonna get pissed if Whitney wasn't mentioned and she was so I'm not.

Wish I could agree with this assessment, I just never listen to that lp. It's so raw and Ross is so nasal. I still don't know what the company was thinking with I Want A Guy. All of Side A is throw away except for Your Heart Belongs To Me and Buttered Popcorn. Side B is a bit funkier.

Was disappointed with the Motown lps not mentioned as debut masterpieces. Most debut lps, like Meet, were simply single releases with some vault tracks thrown together.

I'd have to give a shout to the Four Tops first lp which featured a couple producers searching for a hit. That lp is great from start to finish.

Also Martha's first lp Come And Get These Memories better demonstrates to me the early girl group sound.

I'd have to give nods to Bonnie Pointer, Rick James and Switch for having great debut sets as well