Diana's return to motown seems to be a mix of creative achievement and sales disappointments, to paraphrase Randy. most fans find WO to be a big miss but the other albums were much better and more in line with a "Diana Ross sound."

but given FBTP's release in 1991, do you really think it would have been a major US hit for her? There's a lot to discuss in why the record might have stalled - she did heavy promotional work on tv and her tour but the album wasn't even on store shelves for several months, motown would release 1 single and then a week or two later change their minds and promote another song.

i'm not so sure though that the material would have delivered a US pop hit for her.

When You Tell Me - this is a pretty song but even i remember thinking it wasn't anything special. and my friends that heard it were even less impressed. it just wasn't new or different or exciting

Force - the beat is a little better but the positive, feel-good lyric just makes it too cheesy for me

Change of heart - it's ok. sounds contemporary without the cheesy lyrics. but i don't know that it was special or really different

Waiting in the wings and You're Gonna Love It - these are probably the two strongest songs on the album. they sound contemporary and exciting. i think they should have used one of these, maybe YGLI, as the lead single

One Shining Moment - this is the album's "oprah" song. something for Diana to sing while making her obligatory appearance on the show meanwhile Oprah stands in the audience crying and waving her arms back and forth.

Battlefield - i like this song a lot. frankly i think it's a better modern take on "the motown song" like Chained Reaction was. it's a great tune and adds life to the album. but i think releasing it as a single would be very risky. diana needed to be seen as contemporary and this is a throwback song

Blame it one the sun - beautiful album track but that's all

Heavy weather - a very solid album cut but again that's all