[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys & Marvin Grapevine Together

Thanks for posting that.I vaguely remember that from a Dick Clark Special.I personally liked the song best by Gladys Knight & the Pips, but the Marvin Gaye 45 from what I read, somewhere, was the biggest selling 45 in Motown history.

Thanks Jobeterob for sharing this clip. I remember seeing it on TV sometime late in 1983 [and the audio track for this version of "Grapevine" was included on Marvin Gaye's box set The Master 1961 - 1984]. And yes, Marvin's version of the song the biggest selling single on Motown up until that time [but I still love both Gladys' & Marvin's versions of "Grapevine"].
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 11-05-2023 at 04:27 PM.

I prefer the Gladys version - I think I’ve heard Marvin’s too many times, just like Baby Love

I had never seen this version
    Last edited by jobeterob; 11-05-2023 at 06:46 PM.

this is fantastic .

it occurs to me that THESE TWO should have dueted at Motown ....they really sound good together. Gladys' fuller deeper voice a pleasant blend instead of the shrillness heard in others.

[ah but then .... what to do with those guys .....]

I prefer Gladys version too [Gaye's not far behind].... for some reason each time Marvin says "GRAPE vine" it grates at me... it's one of those small things in a song that can make it not sit right....

added:

this is what a duet is supposed to be about
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-06-2023 at 05:24 PM.

What a super duet! I love both Gladys' and Marvin's version equally. Yep -- Marvin's version proved to be Motown's biggest seller to date [[1968). And to think that Norman had to beg and PLEAD over and over again for Berry to release it!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    What a super duet! I love both Gladys' and Marvin's version equally. Yep -- Marvin's version proved to be Motown's biggest seller to date [[1968). And to think that Norman had to beg and PLEAD over and over again for Berry to release it!
    And it's a good thing that Norman Whitfield begged & pleaded to get Marvin's version of "Grapevine" out the door. In the end it worked out well for both Gladys Knight & Marvin Gaye since both of their versions of the song were Smash Hits [and Classic Recordings in their careers].

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    And it's a good thing that Norman Whitfield begged & pleaded to get Marvin's version of "Grapevine" out the door. In the end it worked out well for both Gladys Knight & Marvin Gaye since both of their versions of the song were Smash Hits [and Classic Recordings in their careers].
    ***** Yes, Sir! *****

I too prefer the Gladys version. This was one of Marvin's last appearances before he was murdered. His dancing with the Pips was not rehearsed and he looked like he was having a lot of fun as a Pip.

My only irk about Gladys, when she does a duet such as here, she seems to interject a spoken reaction to every line the other person is singing. Like here, watch carefully to her reactions to Gaye's singing. To me, it distracts from the other singer.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I too prefer the Gladys version. This was one of Marvin's last appearances before he was murdered. His dancing with the Pips was not rehearsed and he looked like he was having a lot of fun as a Pip.

My only irk about Gladys, when she does a duet such as here, she seems to interject a spoken reaction to every line the other person is singing. Like here, watch carefully to her reactions to Gaye's singing. To me, it distracts from the other singer.
    I like to see impromptu interacting between a singing duo, it gets back to one of the points of dueting imo, but yes I see what you're saying here ... its better when measured out in proper doses .
    Good observation!!

It also strikes me that Gladys is really enjoying performing with Marvin , and he's having a good time with them as well. When Motown was so involved with TV appearances for their acts this seems like it might've been a good concept.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-06-2023 at 05:20 PM.

It was nice to see when so much is made of Gladys being annoyed that Motown released Marvin’s version so soon after releasing hers.

I remember in an interview her talking about this performance a few years after Gaye died.

It seems they had to have a Plan B ready to go because they weren't sure if Gaye would show up. His drug problem was well known in Hollywood and he often made plans and never showed for them.

But he did show to Gladys's surprise. They both were told they would be doing a duet on Grapevine. But this show as actually a celebration of Gladys Knight so she assumed they would be doing her version. Gaye was adamant that he only wanted to sing HIS version of the song and they went into what was called a friendly loggerhead. Finally Dick Clark said do a medley of BOTH versions for the two. That worked. Gaye was unusually relaxed here and his impromptu decision to become a Pip behind Gladys was unrehearsed and quite endearing. Gladys said this was the last time she saw him.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I remember in an interview her talking about this performance a few years after Gaye died.

It seems they had to have a Plan B ready to go because they weren't sure if Gaye would show up. His drug problem was well known in Hollywood and he often made plans and never showed for them.

But he did show to Gladys's surprise. They both were told they would be doing a duet on Grapevine. But this show as actually a celebration of Gladys Knight so she assumed they would be doing her version. Gaye was adamant that he only wanted to sing HIS version of the song and they went into what was called a friendly loggerhead. Finally Dick Clark said do a medley of BOTH versions for the two. That worked. Gaye was unusually relaxed here and his impromptu decision to become a Pip behind Gladys was unrehearsed and quite endearing. Gladys said this was the last time she saw him.
    I'm trying to wrap my head around either of them being "told" what to sing....but GRAPEVINE would be the logical one. I'm wondering what other songs were being considered for the two to sing to each other ......SEXUAL HEALING ?? hee haw !

Ah thanks for pointing out that it was a split rendition of the two versions. I wonder if they flipped a coin as to which one would be first. Anyway they both did great with both.

[I noticed that Gladys, to accurately sing Gaye's version, she sang it as "GRAPE vine".]

There was no discussion of them singing anything other than Grapevine. Dick Clark wanted to bring the two together because they both had massive hits with the same song less than a year apart but had never sang the song together. It was a great idea and made for a historic performance, especially since Gaye was dead about a year or so later. I hasten to add that the discussions over which version to sing were never tense or anything, Gladys felt since the show was her tribute that both should sing her version and Gaye felt that since his was the bigger hit.... So the logical suggestion was to do a medley featuring both. Both artists liked the idea apparently because Gaye would not have done it if he didn't agree.

Again this particular show was part of a syndicated series that Dick Clark Productions was putting out that paid tribute to the classic rock stars. The show was a tribute to GKATP. Marvin was a guest.