[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Sad Supremes

Sad Supremes

Am I the only one who has noticed just how sad the Supremes singles discography is? It's weird that when I [[and I assume I'm not alone here) think about the Supremes' music, it feels like "feel good" music. But when you examine those singles, very few were actually feel good stories.

"I Want a Guy" kicks it all off, where she is basically begging to get with somebody, anybody. Even "Buttered Popcorn" she is bemoaning her second place to her dude's popcorn obsession. "Your Heart Belongs To Me" is iffy, depending on your interpretation of the lyrics, and it's all downhill into heartbreak and relationship issues from there until "Lovelight", when she ends up getting the guy, even though she was a real witch. And then for the follow up, "Run, Run, Run", she's being warned that this dude [[presumably the same guy from "Lovelight") is bad news but she's going for it anyway. Next she's left asking this guy "Where did our love go", and things just continue to spiral until "Back In My Arms Again", at which point she's overjoyed with having him back. But he's back to his old tricks on "Nothing But Heartaches".

Then I guess they dump the chump and finally fall for somebody that has them hearing symphonies. But he bounces for "My World Is Empty". Presumably the girls are still going through the troubles because they're likening love to an itching in their hearts, being sick and being thirsty. "You Can't Hurry Love" has them single and almost desperate, but hopeful, so I guess that's more positive than not. But then it's back downhill into the abyss of bad relationships with "Hangin On", and the troubles don't stop until "Forever Came Today" when she finally gets somebody she can do "forever" with.

But forever don't last always cuz she single again for "Somethings You Never Get Used To". I guess she found somebody again because she's having to tell him he aint getting no coochie right now lest they create a "Love Child". I'll assume he bounced and Eddie comes along, with he and Diana declaring their devotion to one another. Apparently she marries "Eddie" and has a son, but it's all a big mess because she's ashamed of her mother, and her mother died making homemade jam, and...ugh, it was all a big mess. But "Eddie" was understanding, declaring his love again in "I'll Try Something New", even though he revealed a little bit of passive aggressive anger at her lies with that crack about his lovin being warm as mama's oven, knowing that her mother died making jam for bread that was in her oven.

However, it's nothing but good stuff for the next two singles, and then maybe some kind of acid trip for "The Weight", before getting a foot hold back on the hopeful train with "Someday We'll Be Together". And then it's happy ever after until "Nathan Jones". Back on track for "You Gotta Have Love". Even though she admits to knowing she's one of a million of "Floy Joy"'s girls, she's okay with it, so...

Everything is all good, perhaps the Supremes' longest streak of singles where everything is good, until "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" and then it's back downhill until "He's My Man". And then it's back down again until "High Energy", at which point this lady named Supremes finally gets a real happily ever after.

Anybody else notice this?

Yeah i think because heartache is such a universal concept. everyone had experienced it.

what's interesting is that they able to find so many innovative ways to sing it and not always be oppressive.

in the 70s, you had more variety as nature, humanity and god themes became vogue. and disco was more about feeling good

Talk about a tumultuous journey! You did a great job in taking us on this ride; I never really gave much thought into this.

If I could name a non-Supremes song title to sum all this up: Love Rollercoaster.

Selling heartache and despair to teenagers is liking selling water to fish. They buy it by the bucketful. I think this is why the Supremes were so popular in the 60s. They sang how people felt. Once they fell out of that, they fell out of favor.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Selling heartache and despair to teenagers is liking selling water to fish. They buy it by the bucketful. I think this is why the Supremes were so popular in the 60s. They sang how people felt. Once they fell out of that, they fell out of favor.
    You're right, Al. Misery loves company!

Doesn't Soul Music generally reflect this trend?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Talk about a tumultuous journey! You did a great job in taking us on this ride; I never really gave much thought into this.

If I could name a non-Supremes song title to sum all this up: Love Rollercoaster.
    Thanks Gary! Just wanted to open up the discussion a little differently this time.

Yes, "Love Rollercoaster" suits the Supremes' singles discography perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Stax_of_Motown View Post
    Doesn't Soul Music generally reflect this trend?
    I don't know. I would think "falling in love" just as much a part of the soul music genre as falling out of love or heartbreak.

What was interesting to me was that the Supremes, in my mind, come across so cheerful. I never think of them as a group who sings sad songs, but yet most of their singles, especially during the 60s, was really about the negative side of love and relationships, and I don't think many people noticed just how often these girls were down. Lol

What would you all say is the saddest song the Supremes recorded?

I think my pick would be "You're Gone but Always In My Heart". It just has a sad tone to everything about it: the funeral march beat, Diana's forlorn vocal, Flo, Mary and Lamont's depressing chant and "oohs". And if my interpretation of the song is correct, that the guy died, it just makes the song that much more sadder.

On the other hand, "Bill", in the midst of Vietnam, just strikes a cord with me. The fear that she sings about, I can feel it. And I know there were so many people in her position. What makes the song sadder is knowing how many folks ended up with the worst case scenario. Jean gets me every time when she sings about rushing to this guy only to find that he's a stranger, she getting "the strangest look from a stranger's eyes". She knocks me out with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't know. I would think "falling in love" just as much a part of the soul music genre as falling out of love or heartbreak.

What was interesting to me was that the Supremes, in my mind, come across so cheerful. I never think of them as a group who sings sad songs, but yet most of their singles, especially during the 60s, was really about the negative side of love and relationships, and I don't think many people noticed just how often these girls were down. Lol
    Didn't Gordy once instruct Diana not to smile while singing “My Man”. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Didn't Gordy once instruct Diana not to smile while singing “My Man”. Lol
    Sounds familiar. Didn't she smile all through it at the tribute a few years ago?

The lyrics may be sad but, in contrast, the music itself is uplifting.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The lyrics may be sad but, in contrast, the music itself is uplifting.
    Yeah, that and I think Diana's voice sounding as it did, didn't always lend itself to capturing the sadness of the lyric. Listen to "Baby Love". She's singing so sweetly but the guy she's singing about is scum. Not that this is a criticism of her skills. Her tone is matching that of the musicians. It's just so interesting to me that their songs can come across so "cheerful", belying the sadness of the lyric.

What would you all say is the saddest song the Supremes recorded?

I think my pick would be "You're Gone but Always In My Heart". It just has a sad tone to everything about it: the funeral march beat, Diana's forlorn vocal, Flo, Mary and Lamont's depressing chant and "oohs". And if my interpretation of the song is correct, that the guy died, it just makes the song that much more sadder.

On the other hand, "Bill", in the midst of Vietnam, just strikes a cord with me. The fear that she sings about, I can feel it. And I know there were so many people in her position. What makes the song sadder is knowing how many folks ended up with the worst case scenario. Jean gets me every time when she sings about rushing to this guy only to find that he's a stranger, she getting "the strangest look from a stranger's eyes". She knocks me out with that.
    Remove this doubt is one i'd add to the list. the haunting track. here are a few more

My World is Empty
    I Guess I'll Miss the Man - and i think that's why this wasn't a good single. beautiful tune and beautifully performed though
    Don't let my teardrops
    Sleepin'
    I thought that we were still in love
    My Man - the lyrics are really heart wrenching

"I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying." Given the right music and the right beat, you can dance right over the pain. I think I've read more than a few times that it's a production choice to contrast sad lyrics with a diametrically upbeat music bed; think: "The Tears Of A Clown," The Eagles' "Heartache Tonight," Candi Stanton's "Young Hearts Run Free". Also, I think it's actually more difficult to write "happy" songs than "sad" songs. I don't know why, but in writing happy songs you have to take caution that you don't end up with a song Pollyanna herself would wholeheartedly endorse - in other words, you don't want a song that ends up so corny and drips more sap than a million maple syrup trees pumping overtime. When you produce a record so good that people TOTALLY miss that the lyrics express sadness and heartache, you've really done something!
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 11-10-2023 at 06:12 PM.

Sounds familiar. Didn't she smile all through it at the tribute a few years ago?
    I will let her off that one as she was being playful with Mr Gordy.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Remove this doubt is one i'd add to the list. the haunting track. here are a few more

My World is Empty
    I Guess I'll Miss the Man - and i think that's why this wasn't a good single. beautiful tune and beautifully performed though
    Don't let my teardrops
    Sleepin'
    I thought that we were still in love
    My Man - the lyrics are really heart wrenching
    "Remove This Doubt" is a good one. All of those are.

I would add "Love Is Here", "Play A Sad Song".

Flo's "My Heart" and "Yesterday", the latter of which I always thinks she sounds like some drunk lady at a bar, lamenting her past, which makes it all the more sadder considering where Flo was going and how things ended up.

"This Is the Story" is another one.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    "I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying." Given the right music and the right beat, you can dance right over the pain. I think I've read more than a few times that it's a production choice to contrast sad lyrics with a diametrically upbeat music bed; think: "The Tears Of A Clown," The Eagles' "Heartache Tonight," Candi Stanton's "Young Hearts Run Free". Also, I think it's actually more difficult to write "happy" songs than "sad" songs. I don't know why, but in writing happy songs you have to take caution that you don't end up with a song Pollyanna herself would wholeheartedly endorse - in other words, you don't want a song that ends up so corny and drips more sap than a million maple syrup trees pumping overtime. When you produce a record so good that people TOTALLY miss that the lyrics express sadness and heartache, you've really done something!
    That's a great explanation! I hadn't thought of it that way.

"Remove This Doubt" is a good one. All of those are.

I would add "Love Is Here", "Play A Sad Song".

Flo's "My Heart" and "Yesterday", the latter of which I always thinks she sounds like some drunk lady at a bar, lamenting her past, which makes it all the more sadder considering where Flo was going and how things ended up.

"This Is the Story" is another one.
    TITS is a great one! forgot about it.

It's So Hard To Say Goodbye is another

I suspect this was the issue holding back almost all of the songs of the "Promises Kept" sessions. Those are some seriously depressing songs, from mentioning suicide in "Chained to Yesterday", to the stalker vibe in "I'm Not That Easy to Lose", to the shock of "And I Thought You Loved Me", to the pathetic "Oh My Poor Baby".