[REMOVE ADS]

Should this be considered a duet?? Marvin Gaye and Marvin Gaye on INNER CITY BLUES

Marvin Gaye dueting with himself:

Is it not just as authentic a result of two voices being put together and [singing 'together'] as :

If dueting is simply a matter of blending two voices as was done with Ross and Gaye , why is INNER CITY BLUES, iyo, not technically a duet? Clearly there are two vocal lines there singing in tandem.

Is it necessary for the vocals to be from two different people??

or another way to ask it,
    if INNER CITY BLUES, with the two vocals by Gaye singing throughout is not dueting ......what is it??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-03-2023 at 02:57 PM.

A duet is defined as a performance by two people, especially singers. So the answer is no.

are you sure??

I would consider "Inner City Blues" a vocal overdub.

So this comes into question: If Marvin and Diane recorded their vocals separately, is that a duet, overdub or both?

duo
    noun
    a pair of people or things, especially in music or entertainment.
    "the comedy duo Laurel and Hardy"
    MUSIC
    a duet.
    "two duos for violin and viola"

My understanding is that Ain’t No Mountain High Enough was a completed Tammi Terrell song that Marvin came in afterwards and recorded his vocals and was edited into a duet

is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    My understanding is that Ain’t No Mountain High Enough was a completed Tammi Terrell song that Marvin came in afterwards and recorded his vocals and was edited into a duet

is that right?
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    G.
    I would consider "Inner City Blues" a vocal overdub.

So this comes into question: If Marvin and Diane recorded their vocals separately, is that a duet, overdub or both?
    I think overdub is a more correct term for that vocal creation.....as its done the same way as are Marvin's two separate vocals.

If there's an artificial blending to create the illusion of a "duet", an asterisk should be attached that explains these two are not really singing together.

As for INNER CITY BLUES, if Diana Ross were doing one of Marvin's two vocal tracks instead of him , would that then be a duet?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    True.

Thanks I thought so

Does anyone know if Marvin also recorded the whole song on his own and the producers decided how they wanted to edit it together?

If so, I would love to hear Marvin's solo version

I would also love to hear a duet version with Marvin and Tammi's parts reversed

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    Thanks I thought so

Does anyone know if Marvin also recorded the whole song on his own and the producers decided how they wanted to edit it together?

If so, I would love to hear Marvin's solo version

I would also love to hear a duet version with Marvin and Tammi's parts reversed
    I've never heard of a Marvin solo version. But there was a mix that was initially released on the STEPMOM soundtrack that had Marvin and Tammi singing the same lines on the last verse.