[REMOVE ADS]

Mary: One Night With You

https://youtu.be/lmDRR8Dd5ic?si=k3zBTFLtA-xTCuxU

I always loved this song, and thought it should have been a decent hit for Mary. This was the lead single from her "Walk the Line" album. In fact, it was being reported in her Fan Club Newsletter was to be entitled "One Night With You". On a side note, the original track listing included "Love Child" instead of "You Keep Me Hangin' On". The backing track of LC was the same that Sweet Sensation had used in 1990 for their cover version.

Anyway, I've always gotten a kick out of the ONE NIGHT video; who cast the college student as Mary's love interest? Lol.

A couple of notes:

-The guy doesn't look that young MaryB. Lol

-Gosh, was this lady gorgeous or what?

-She sounds great.

-On it's own the song is good. I think it would have been far better in someone else's hands, writing, arranging and production wise.

-The song sounds dated by 1992 standards, IMO. Had she released this in 1986/87 it may have stood a chance. At this point it was nothing more than a good album track, the video a good choice for Midnight Love on BET.

-Mary had the goods. She needed the right parts to make the goods work.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    A couple of notes:

-She sounds great.

-On it's own the song is good. I think it would have been far better in someone else's hands, writing, arranging and production wise.

-The song sounds dated by 1992 standards, IMO. Had she released this in 1986/87 it may have stood a chance. At this point it was nothing more than a good album track, the video a good choice for Midnight Love on BET.

There's no denying Mary looks sensational. It's no wonder they called her "the sexy one".

I agree that it does sound dated; I compare it to the same vein of Rita Coolidge's "We're All Alone" or Melissa Manchester's "Fire in the Morning". That soft, sensual rock.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    https://youtu.be/lmDRR8Dd5ic?si=k3zBTFLtA-xTCuxU

I always loved this song, and thought it should have been a decent hit for Mary. This was the lead single from her "Walk the Line" album. In fact, it was being reported in her Fan Club Newsletter was to be entitled "One Night With You". On a side note, the original track listing included "Love Child" instead of "You Keep Me Hangin' On". The backing track of LC was the same that Sweet Sensation had used in 1990 for their cover version.

Anyway, I've always gotten a kick out of the ONE NIGHT video; who cast the college student as Mary's love interest? Lol.
    LOL. Hoping Mary cast the college student and hopefully she tried him out first. LOLOLOLOL

A couple of notes:

-She sounds great.

I remember seeing Mary perform this during a Lou Rawls Parade of Stars telethon. As I recall, it was in the late 80s so maybe this was amongst a batch of songs that Mary was shopping around. In any event, she gives a nice performance although if I was producing it, I might have reigned in her vocals a wee bit.

That soft, sensual rock.
    Yes! That sounds like how I would describe it. Would have been interesting to hear what Mary would have done with one of those big rocking ballads that were popular during the mid to late 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I remember seeing Mary perform this during a Lou Rawls Parade of Stars telethon. As I recall, it was in the late 80s so maybe this was amongst a batch of songs that Mary was shopping around. In any event, she gives a nice performance although if I was producing it, I might have reigned in her vocals a wee bit.
    Very interesting! No wonder it sounds dated.

A couple of notes:

-She sounds great.

The recording sounds a bit dated but when Mary performed it live during her concerts, One Night With You didn't sound dated at all during that time period. I saw Mary in Vegas as the headliner of a girl group show with the Fake Marvelettes [[who she did not acknowledge) Doris Kenner Shirelles and the Dixie Cups. Back to the song, Mary sang the HELL out of that song. In fact Mary was on fire vocally for the entire show. Her rendition of Tears In Heaven that she dedicated to her late son Rafi was flawless. I agree when you say Mary had the goods but didn't have the proper direction to propel her solo career.

Loved, One Night With You By Mary Wilson.

RED HOT live was always very exciting....she always performed the 12" arrangement...which has a lot more going on...and it was always a very playful moment and the audiences loved it...I like One Night...but Don't Get Mad def had more bite...shame You Danced My Heart wasn't released soon after it was recorded...that is one great performance...

Yes, Mary did have the goods-talent and beauty-that should have given her a much bigger career than she had. I really liked the Walk The Line album but it needed to have been mixed better. At the time, I remember there was a big thing that her lip sync wasn't perfect and caused this video to be pulled. I only see one slight moment, the rest seemed on point. Yes, the man was a bit too young for Mary at that time but so was the man for Diana in her Swept Away video. Not making comparisons but there always seem to be a bit of hypocrisy with Mary. She had sung this song for years but it wasn't until years later that it was released with CEO. Lord knows, imagine what it would have sounded had it been on a release from Motorcity and Ian Levine.

Here is Mary performing it live around 1988, 4 years before it was released by CEO

so what's going on here in this video ....he's looking at the menu too long so she swats it out of his hands .....

run , buddy, run!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-01-2023 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

so what's going on here in this video ....he's looking at the menu too long so she swats it out of his hands .....

run , buddy, run!!
    LOL- I see it quite differently. Personally, I don't think the premise fits the song at all. It is a song about love and the specialness of spending one night together. Yet, it starts with him coming to their dinner date, ignoring her, drinking too much champagne and not even paying attention to his date-not even giving a toast, her sits there reading at dinner. He makes a date with another albeit less attractive but probably more age appropriate hotel worker. Then in bed he slightly kisses Mary and turns his back on her. She then looks longingly out at 2 lovers wishing it was them. He keeps the date, she sees him and he follows after her pleading with her. Then she forgives him and they end up in a hot tub together. Yeah, doesn't really fit this beautiful song. Him getting his paper pushed down is not the clue to run away, her clue is the whole dinner and the cheating-she should have run away and not forgiven him. Like I said, the premise really didn't fit the song.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    LOL- I see it quite differently. Personally, I don't think the premise fits the song at all. It is a song about love and the specialness of spending one night together. Yet, it starts with him coming to their dinner date, ignoring her, drinking too much champagne and not even paying attention to his date-not even giving a toast, her sits there reading at dinner. He makes a date with another albeit less attractive but probably more age appropriate hotel worker. Then in bed he slightly kisses Mary and turns his back on her. She then looks longingly out at 2 lovers wishing it was them. He keeps the date, she sees him and he follows after her pleading with her. Then she forgives him and they end up in a hot tub together. Yeah, doesn't really fit this beautiful song. Him getting his paper pushed down is not the clue to run away, her clue is the whole dinner and the cheating-she should have run away and not forgiven him. Like I said, the premise really didn't fit the song.
    OK I don't think we're seeing it that differently, except that its a beautiful song

So Mary enters the restaurant already pissy ...not sure why , [does she ever smile when she's with him?] and maybe she's really late because he seems really really hungry and reading what's on the menu is all that's on his mind lol. [it's not a wine list because they've already got the champagne , which he seems to want a lot of for this date ... instructing them to keep filling it, gulping it]
    When a needy, demanding Mary slams down his menu in a public restaurant , her new bedmate was absolutely right to get up and storm off and if he's a smart player, which it seems he is , he'll keep going on to the next one in line and not look back.

End of video critique part I
    .... except to add these two really need to change their clothes more often ...

added:
    oh I see ---she's immediately miffed he didn't pull out her chair for her !!! hee haw
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-03-2023 at 11:31 AM.

Fun fact: the music video was filmed at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa in Sedona, AZ.

Fun fact: the music video was filmed at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa in Sedona, AZ.
    I'm mad that you even know that.

jim aka jtigre99

LOL- I see it quite differently. Personally, I don't think the premise fits the song at all. It is a song about love and the specialness of spending one night together. Yet, it starts with him coming to their dinner date, ignoring her, drinking too much champagne and not even paying attention to his date-not even giving a toast, her sits there reading at dinner. He makes a date with another albeit less attractive but probably more age appropriate hotel worker. Then in bed he slightly kisses Mary and turns his back on her
    She sure knows how to pick 'em. He does nothing right by her, bad manners, alcoholic, sees other women at the first chance, bored by their second time in bed, yet this is her idea of finding a decent match ....her "soulmate" I'm sure.
    "he diddled me, that must be love!!" hee haw ...

this is why imo this is not a beautiful song, one night of some good screwing is no way of measuring long term love. If only she'd called Dr. Laura about this misinterpretation, she'd have straightened Mary out quick!

I'm sure without meaning to, the video actually makes the point quite well. So I think it suits the song . If only they'd shown her paying the dinner bill, it'd have been perfect.

end of critique part II

oh wait - they couldn't have shown her paying the bill.... this match made in heaven couldn't make it even as far as the appetizers ....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-03-2023 at 03:04 PM.

i like this song, one of my favorites