[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Thank you album

Thank you album

Does anyone know how well this album did,especially since it was nominated for a Grammy.
    For the most part, I liked this collection.. just a few sugary tracks for my taste.
    But ,I like the title cut, Still Believe,Tomorrow,Let's Do It, and my favorite ,If The World Just Danced.
    Any thoughts.
    Think I would replaced the last three tracks
    Last edited by daviddh; 10-28-2023 at 07:10 PM.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_You_[[Diana_Ross_album)

Better than I thought

But I haven’t played it through even once, bad me; if I play anything Ross it would be It’s Your Move, And If You See Him, Solitude, Let’s Do It

The songs themselves are pleasant enough if a ‘tad saccharine at times. It’s the mushy, auto-tuned voice that has me listening far less than might otherwise be the case.
    Had this album been recorded say 1999, i think Diana might have scored some decent hits from it.

It didn't chart at all in the US, but I think if this is her final album it's a good one to go out on. Certainly a big improvement over I Love You. It's not a covers album and the songs and entire album concept are coming from a sincere place from Diana Ross as an artist. It's not a craven, desparate attempt to score one more big hit. A bit saccharine, but that's always been a part of her music. But it's a good album from an older woman and artist looking back and taking stock of life and emphasizing what enriched her life and give encouragement to what can make a better future. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    It didn't chart at all in the US, but I think if this is her final album it's a good one to go out on. Certainly a big improvement over I Love You. It's not a covers album and the songs and entire album concept are coming from a sincere place from Diana Ross as an artist. It's not a craven, desparate attempt to score one more big hit. A bit saccharine, but that's always been a part of her music. But it's a good album from an older woman and artist looking back and taking stock of life and emphasizing what enriched her life and give encouragement to what can make a better future. I like it.
    Good post, Spreadinglove 21. I agree with every sentence.

I really enjoy this album. I think there are some really good songs here. I also think the production was really good. All that mattered to me was that I liked it. I didn’t care about “charts”.

With that said, I’d like to share something that was posted on Facebook by @TerrellLamont MooreFloyd.

“Thank You' did enter the U.S. Billboard Top Current Album Sales at #16 and U.S. Billboard Top Album Sales at #19 and peaked at #25 on the U.S. Billboard Top R&B Albums...those charts are based strictly on sales which is how the Billboard 200 used to be, but now factors in streaming which is why Diana's Album didn't make the Billboard 200...currently the 'Thank You' LP stands at roughly 17 million official streams on Spotify with the 'Thank You' single receiving about 11 million streams...the album also made the Top 10 [[#7 and #3 Pop Albums) on iTunes and Top 20 [[#16) on Amazon and hit the charts in Japan and various Euro markets [[including #7 in the UK and #21 Scotland and #33 in Germany and Belgium)...I believe the album did well in spite of Diana Ross not doing TV promos, which people have to remember was during the pandemic...in addition "Turn Up The Sunshine" became a U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary hit staying on the charts for 11 weeks and peaking at #19 with over 11 million Spotify streams...”

It should be noted that those streaming numbers were as of 6 months ago. With her more recent tour dates, I’m sure those numbers have gone up.

Never for a moment had i realised the Thank You album had been so incredibly successful. Diana must have been more then chuffed having a mega hit album at this point in her career.
    The record company must surely be chomping at the bit for her to come up with another money spinner.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 10-29-2023 at 06:25 PM.

Sorry I am old but streaming??
    Is that like listening on radio?
    Just trying to understand
    But glad it seems to have done well

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I really enjoy this album. I think there are some really good songs here. I also think the production was really good. All that mattered to me was that I liked it. I didn’t care about “charts”.

With that said, I’d like to share something that was posted on Facebook by @TerrellLamont MooreFloyd.

“Thank You' did enter the U.S. Billboard Top Current Album Sales at #16 and U.S. Billboard Top Album Sales at #19 and peaked at #25 on the U.S. Billboard Top R&B Albums...those charts are based strictly on sales which is how the Billboard 200 used to be, but now factors in streaming which is why Diana's Album didn't make the Billboard 200...currently the 'Thank You' LP stands at roughly 17 million official streams on Spotify with the 'Thank You' single receiving about 11 million streams...the album also made the Top 10 [[#7 and #3 Pop Albums) on iTunes and Top 20 [[#16) on Amazon and hit the charts in Japan and various Euro markets [[including #7 in the UK and #21 Scotland and #33 in Germany and Belgium)...I believe the album did well in spite of Diana Ross not doing TV promos, which people have to remember was during the pandemic...in addition "Turn Up The Sunshine" became a U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary hit staying on the charts for 11 weeks and peaking at #19 with over 11 million Spotify streams...”

It should be noted that those streaming numbers were as of 6 months ago. With her more recent tour dates, I’m sure those numbers have gone up.
    Thanks for the interesting specific data.
    Does any know how many album sales this translates to or if it achieved any recognized sales status such as gold or silver etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    Thanks for the interesting specific data.
    Does any know how many album sales this translates to or if it achieved any recognized sales status such as gold or silver etc ?
    The Recording Industry Association of America [RIAA] officially gives out gold, platinum, and diamond awards for US sales.

Unfortunately, THANK YOU isn't listed amongst the other awards Diana has received: https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?...search_section.
    Last edited by reese; 10-29-2023 at 11:06 PM.