[REMOVE ADS]

Flo's last performance

Just been watching some Supremes - inc Flo - performances on YT. Mostly Ed Sullivan including the hits medley.

Wondering when Flo's last TV performance with the Supremes on TV [[not just Ed) actually was. And am sure some of the experts on here can give me those facts.

Presuming Cindy's first TV performance was on Sullivan doing 'In & Out of Love' but also interested in that info.
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 10-24-2023 at 11:28 AM.

Flo's last TV appearance was on the Tonight Show.

I believe Cindy's first TV appearance was SUMMERTIME ON THE PIER, a show taped in Atlantic City and syndicated to other markers. The footage doesn't exist anymore.

Cindy's first major national TV appearance was THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE.
    Last edited by reese; 10-24-2023 at 11:47 AM.

i believe her last tv appearance with the group was the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. they did The Happening and The Lady Is A Tramp/Let's Get Away From It All.

there are some really poor-quality clips of it on YouTube. while the quality is poor, it's great to hear them and see even the grainy video.

mary also writes about this appearance although IMO her memory is a bit skewed. She writes that Diana brought up the issue of having stand-ins, after Johnny mentioned something about the rumor of them breaking up. Mary states that Diana says they have 2 girls that can sub for either Mary or Flo and that Mary was shocked by this, not having any knowledge of a sub on call for herself. Mary then states that Flo then monopolized the interview and gave funny witty remarks, almost like the "good ole flo"

in seeing the clip, flo does make some funny remarks but she certainly doesn't monopolize the interview. all three girls gave entertaining and charming remarks. Flo's don't seem to be anything out of the ordinary.

as for a mary stand-in, i'd assume that was just a line Diana gave to downplay the fact that Flo had been replaced for the Hollywood Bowl performance. they were trying to dispel rumors and calm down the gossip around the group while they figured out what was going to happen. If mary had come down with a bad flu or something and couldn't appear at a gig, they might have considered cancelling but they might have sent Marlene out and she could have joined D and F on stage probably well enough. if something happened and BOTH m and f were terribly sick, they'd probably just cancel the gig. I don't think it was any type of secretive or manipulative strategy by motown to have a "mary replacement" on hand. mary worked hard and was very dependable. Berry didn't have to worry about her just not showing up or not pulling her weight.