[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    How about the Carl Davis-era of Brunswick?
    I'll be recommending this book til the end of time: "Chicago Soul" by Robert Pruter. This book covers a lot of ground. It gives fairly good glimpses of the R&B Chicago radio scene from roughly the Doo Wop era through the Soul music era. It discusses Black dance movements of the 60's and 70s. Most excellently, it gives a fairly comprehensive rundown on Chicago record companies- from the smallest to the largest. Brunswick is discussed. While the book covers a lot of ground, it does an amazing job of giving you the basic overview/stories of these labels, why they succeeded and why they failed. True, it's not an entire book on Brunswick but you'll find a nice bit to chew on.

Thanks. In other words, they didn't know how to run a record company.

I just wish someone would write a book or do a doc on it all before more survivors pass on.
    There's Howard Priestley's book, Love Factory: The History of Holland-Dozier-Holland from 2021 which goes into detail about Invictus/Hot Wax Records.
    Amazon.com: Love Factory: The History of Holland Dozier Holland eBook : Priestley, Howard: Kindle Store

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    There's Howard Priestley's book, Love Factory: The History of Holland-Dozier-Holland from 2021 which goes into detail about Invictus/Hot Wax Records.
    Amazon.com: Love Factory: The History of Holland Dozier Holland eBook : Priestley, Howard: Kindle Store
    Howard Priestley's book contains a lot of avoidable errors and it's not easy to read as it breaks off at so many tangents to delve into people's other history - not that it's not occasionally of interest but seems too often and un-necessary at times. It doesn't say much that you most likely wouldn't already be aware of. It's not over-priced so you can form your own opinions but I prefer the Lamont Dozier and Eddie and Brian Holland books personally.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Howard Priestley's book contains a lot of avoidable errors and it's not easy to read as it breaks off at so many tangents to delve into people's other history - not that it's not occasionally of interest but seems too often and un-necessary at times. It doesn't say much that you most likely wouldn't already be aware of. It's not over-priced so you can form your own opinions but I prefer the Lamont Dozier and Eddie and Brian Holland books personally.

I guess i'll look for their books instead. Thank you both.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I'll be recommending this book til the end of time: "Chicago Soul" by Robert Pruter. This book covers a lot of ground. It gives fairly good glimpses of the R&B Chicago radio scene from roughly the Doo Wop era through the Soul music era. It discusses Black dance movements of the 60's and 70s. Most excellently, it gives a fairly comprehensive rundown on Chicago record companies- from the smallest to the largest. Brunswick is discussed. While the book covers a lot of ground, it does an amazing job of giving you the basic overview/stories of these labels, why they succeeded and why they failed. True, it's not an entire book on Brunswick but you'll find a nice bit to chew on.
    Thanks again! You know what I mean, though. Everyone talks about Motown, Stax, and Atlantic, but the many other companies...very obscure info.

Thanks again! You know what I mean, though. Everyone talks about Motown, Stax, and Atlantic, but the many other companies...very obscure info.
    I definitely know what you mean. This book has become a top-line favorite. I only wish this guy could have written entire books on every record company he profiles, especially the very obscure, small-time Chicago labels that lasted only a handful of releases. He goes into depth without coming across too dry or too scholarly. I think you'll enjoy it. I was kinda sad when I came to the end. I wanted the book to go on, but he does a good job of giving you more than you've ever read anywhere else.

I think Motown could have been saved if they had kept the musical talent of the songwriters and looked for new talented artists. I think the sound and the song topics
    would have evolved with the times. I think the Invictus/Hot Wax labels are in a sense
    of what a saved Motown would sound like.

Invictus/Hot Wax had a unique sound that was Motown-like and they dealt with more adult topics in a more blunt, less implied manner than the songs in the 1960s.
    Last edited by nevertoolate; 11-01-2023 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    This just came up in my feed on YouTube. It's all about Stax Records. Many of you may already know their story, but it was eye-opening to me. I didn't realize that Stax attempted to go the exact same route as Motown: moving into movies and other fields and even attempting to go into comedy. So it would seem Motown wasn't the only company looking to expand.

The Stax story is fascinating and extremely heartbreaking. A lot of the comments left for this are a bit weird because everyone seems to be treating it as a wonderful nostalgic look back at a fun and frivolous past. This story is anything but light and bouncy fun.

Whenever I'm reminded of what Atlantic did to Stax it makes me mad. Totally screwed them over, and Wexler later claiming he had no idea what was done

If there was a "Could Stax have been saved" thread Number 1 for me is what if they never lost their catalog?

Followed by what if the plane crash that took Otis & the Bar Kays never happened and what if they never made that distribution deal with Clive Davis

When I say "saved" I mean could that have stayed a relevant as they were in the 60s? Was there any way that the company could have released dozens more hit Top 10- Top 20 songs that became generational anthems well into the 80s and 90s

And successful to the point that maybe Berry decides that he doesn't have to sell