[REMOVE ADS]

Florence Ballard - Remember Me!

Really! Well of course it's not! It's 100% fake, the guy calls it AI, I call it crap. He says it changes the voice, well he must be deaf. It's an insult to Florence & Diana! Please let him know that you are not impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Really! Well of course it's not! It's 100% fake, the guy calls it AI, I call it crap. He says it changes the voice, well he must be deaf. It's an insult to Florence & Diana! Please let him know that you are not impressed!

I don't think it'll do anything to tell this person you don't like it. The genie is so far out of the bottle: already, I saw another AI for Dee Dee Sharp singing Diana's "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," one for Miley Cyrus singing Otis Redding's "Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay" and them AI hits just keep pumping like raw sewage from a waste pipeline. As the guy replied to the commenter for this video, this is the future and apparently to say you don't like it shows that you're a relic of the Old Age.

The Kids On The Street Will Never Give In [[thanks Lou Christie!)
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 10-16-2023 at 03:40 PM.

As big of a Flo fan as I am, I have to say I'm not as outraged as you are Copley. I've seen a few of these AI vocals of various artists over the past few months, some better than others. I do think this AI voice has moments where it does sound a wee bit like Florence. However, whether on purpose or as a result of the app in use, there are some major moments when it is not flattering to Florence's talent. Honestly, I'd like to see someone give a better shot at it. We spend time around here posting about how we would have liked to hear how various Supremes might have sounded on any given song. This new tool can kind of, sort of, answer those questions. And as long as it's all in good fun, I don't have a problem with it.

This isn't AI-- it's a bottom-of-the-barrel, sloppy parlor trick. Doesn't sound like Flo at all, but a tampered-with Diana. And who is that random woman in the artwork? Just rotten.

Oh no - not good at all. What next - Valerie Simpson as Tammi Terrell?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    This isn't AI-- it's a bottom-of-the-barrel, sloppy parlor trick. Doesn't sound like Flo at all, but a tampered-with Diana. And who is that random woman in the artwork? Just rotten.
    Admittedly I'm not well versed in the whole AI thing. I saw the comment where the uploader called it that, so I took his/her word for it. I still think there are parts where the voice sounds a teeny bit Flo-like, but as I said before, with these generator vids I've seen some pretty good stuff and yeah, this one isn't very good at all. But I take it as harmless fun considering that the poster isn't exactly trying to pass it off as a genuine Florence vocal, which might also be why he/she is using those random non Florence pictures that seemingly make no sense. Lol

Would love for someone to do something with Flo with the better technology that some other folks have used.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    What next - Valerie Simpson as Tammi Terrell?
    As if Valerie Simpson would ever masquerade as Tammi Terrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Admittedly I'm not well versed in the whole AI thing. I saw the comment where the uploader called it that, so I took his/her word for it. I still think there are parts where the voice sounds a teeny bit Flo-like, but as I said before, with these generator vids I've seen some pretty good stuff and yeah, this one isn't very good at all. But I take it as harmless fun considering that the poster isn't exactly trying to pass it off as a genuine Florence vocal, which might also be why he/she is using those random non Florence pictures that seemingly make no sense. Lol

Would love for someone to do something with Flo with the better technology that some other folks have used.
    [[Notice of NON-intent of Offendification!)
    I have a hazy recollection that you mentioned before that you are well under 50. I'm mentioning this because as time goes on, we're going to see a whole lot more that the AI thing will be a huge source of irritation for music fans "of a certain age" [[i.e. Me), while those who are NOT "of a certain age" will be far more flexible in how they look at things like this.

Actually, you make a good point: if taken as just a good bit of fun, it really will give us a chance to hear examples of all those ponderings of "what if so-and-so had performed this song instead of whoever." When I thought about it, I went back and I'm going say, it WAS kinda fun hearing what Miley Cyrus would have sounded like if she had been signed to Stax Records in the glorious sixties.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 10-17-2023 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    As if Valerie Simpson would ever masquerade as Tammi Terrell.
    Bite your tongue; that could never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I have a hazy recollection that you mentioned before that you are well under 50. I'm mentioning this because as time goes on, we're going to see a whole lot more that the AI thing will be a huge source of irritation for music fans "of a certain age" [[i.e. Me), while those who are NOT "of a certain age" will be far more flexible in how they look at things like this.

Actually, you make a good point: if taken as just a good bit of fun, it really will give us a chance to hear examples of all those ponderings of "what if so-and-so had performed this song instead of whoever." When I thought about it, I went back and I'm going say, it WAS kinda fun hearing what Miley Cyrus would have sounded like if she had been signed to Stax Records in the glorious sixties.
    I understand the fun aspect of what you're driving at, but, IMHO, the fun becomes a slippery slope when livelihoods are at stake. Not to say that this creator has nefarious intentions, of course, but consider the roots of the ongoing SAG/AFTRA strike as the most glaring example. When corporate fat cats use AI to fatten their coffers at the expense of folks' means of survival, the downside of technology pops up in terrifying relief. What starts as harmless, cool, what'll-they-think-of-next fun can snowball into something Orwellian. And that gives this just-north-of-50 hepcat the willies about the whole thing. Just my two cents.

No offense taken Waiting. Yeah, I'm only looking at it from the fun, homemade aspect of it all. I would not be down with this kind of thing for official use.

I understand the fun aspect of what you're driving at, but, IMHO, the fun becomes a slippery slope when livelihoods are at stake. Not to say that this creator has nefarious intentions, of course, but consider the roots of the ongoing SAG/AFTRA strike as the most glaring example. When corporate fat cats use AI to fatten their coffers at the expense of folks' means of survival, the downside of technology pops up in terrifying relief. What starts as harmless, cool, what'll-they-think-of-next fun can snowball into something Orwellian. And that gives this just-north-of-50 hepcat the willies about the whole thing. Just my two cents.
    Your value is always more than two cents Sans. Sure, four cents tops, but that's still more than two.

I think people being creative at home and having some fun with it is one thing, but yes, official use, like what the actors are up against, and I guess now singers have to be vigilant on it as well, is a whole other story. Slippery slope indeed.

Sounds more like Ross than Flo to me

Reminds me of those times when I forgot to clean the dust off the needle of my record player before playing a record. Not a a pleasant experience, much like this abomination.

This also reminds me of the time I played Diana's Upside Down 45 and forgot to change the speed from 33 1/3. It was scary - so demonic, but kind of entertaining.

I don't "hate" it, and it definitely gives off a Flo vibe. To me it sounds more like one of those cover records from the 60's. Pleasant, but nothing magical.

Delete please

Just read this right now. And guess what was on the news earlier this evening: a story about Universal going after some organization for using their copyrights in conjunction with AI tech. So your comment is extremely timely. It'll be interesting to see what happens with this Universal thing...

Just read this right now. And guess what was on the news earlier this evening: a story about Universal going after some organization for using their copyrights in conjunction with AI tech. So your comment is extremely timely. It'll be interesting to see what happens with this Universal thing...
    Yikes. Hadn't heard about this particular suit. Reminds me of that old Chinese curse--"May you live in interesting times."