[REMOVE ADS]

Interesting Article, at least to me, on Diana Ross

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...na-ross-memoir

Most of this is based on quotes from her "Secrets of a Sparrow" book.
    Last edited by jobucats; 10-15-2023 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks for posting. An interesting read for me, with insights that I didn't know before or don't remember from Secrets of a Sparrow, which I read but have not reread because as the Vanity Fair writer writes..."Secrets of A Sparrow is a lyrical, at times frustrating biography, long on poetic platitudes but short on specifics. There is an undercurrent of defensiveness which runs throughout."

The book is the main reference here along with familiar stories from other Motowners , so I thought this was an older article until Ross's age of 79 is given.

A humorous quote from Secrets made me think of a certain DRATS hit single: "The Rosses were a determined, upwardly mobile family who believed in higher education and excellence. Their guiding light was warm, loving Ernestine, whom Ross describes “as bright as the sunlight that poured in her yellow kitchen windows, as sweet as home-cooked jelly.”

I recall an off Broadway show that may have been called Celebrity Autobiography: In Their Own Words. The show featured comedians reading actual excerpts from celebrity autobiographies. There readings were read with a bit of sarcasm which is what made them funny.

Some of the celebrity autobiographies were Elizabeth Taylor, Madonna, Cher, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. I also recall Vanna White and Diana Ross being part of it. Can you imagine a comedian reading from Vanna White's Autobiography?

"When the contestant called the letter 'S', I was under so much pressure because there were so many of them to reveal"