[REMOVE ADS]

Remember the first time you saw a Motown Artist [or Ex Motown Artist] LIVE In Concert

Can you name the first time you saw a Motown Artist [or Former Motown Artist] Live In Concert?

My first was The Spinners at The Apollo Theater, NYC, January 1973. It was a double bill with The O'Jays. The Spinners were ex-Motown at that time and just started their Classic Run of hits with Atlantic Records so it was a double shot of Philly Soul [and a Great Show].

From there I go to 1982 and a show at the Palladium, NYC for a show featuring Martha Reeves [no Vandellas], Mary Wells, Jr. Walker & Ben E. King. I remember that Mary & Martha had to play with a 'pickup up band' that didn't know the songs very well so it was less than perfect.

although I had met the whole Motortown Revue in Nov. 1962 in Miami. The first actual concert I got to go to was Sept. 1966 in Orlando to see The Joe Tex Show co-starring MARY WELLS, whose latest hit was "Dear Lover".She was even more beautiful then before.Then the first actual Motown artist would be the Marvelettes on the Otis Redding Show.It was Wanda, Kat & Gladys. Oct. 1966.Over the next couple of years I would see Martha & the Vandellas, Diana Ross & the Supremes & Gladys Knight & the Pips.

Oh yeah...1966 the howard theatre..the classic temps-jimmy ruffin-the contours...what a show!!!

The first Motown artist I saw in concert was Diana Ross. It took place on February 12, 1977 and she was touring with her AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS presentation, still one of the best concerts I've ever attended.

I can't remember the dates exactly probably late, late 1980s or early 1990s I saw Gladys Knight and the Pips at a Budweiser Super Fest Concert. I don't even remember who else was there.

Yes, pretty easy for me. I saw Diana Ross in July of 2019......the first and only Motown artist concert I've attended.

Mine was the Jackson 5, circa 1973 with most of my immediate family. The Spinners were also on the bill, so I suppose they were technically the first Motown alum group I ever saw.

The Supremes, Diana, Mary and Florence. Civic Arena, Pittsburg, PA. 1966. I was a junior in high school.

The New Supremes [[Mary, Scherrie & Cindy) at the Town & Country Dinner Theater in East Rochester, NY. They were promoting their latest Motown album -- "The Supremes" [["He's My Man" LP) -- in Fall of 1975. They looked and sounded fantastic! Mary belted out a solo ballad without her mic, after which she earned herself a thunderous round of applause! She also managed to throw in a wink at me at some point during the show! The girls looked and sounded the best I had ever seen/heard them. Cindy had lost a ton of weight by then, and all three girls were stunning examples of professionalism -- both visually and aurally -- of everything that Motown had taught them. I left that show feeling especially proud to be a Motown fan of The Supremes.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-15-2023 at 03:50 AM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  21.1 KB
    I saw The Miracles [[along with several non-Motown acts) at The Regal Theatre in Chicago in 1962. It was a great show with The Drifters, Dee Clark, and a bunch of other groups and single artists. I'll remember it as long as I have a functioning memory.

For me it was Jr Walker And The All Stars opening for The Temptations in March 1973 at the Hammersmith Odeon in London.

My memories are that it was a good gig.

Damon Harris was in the Temps at that time, and Jr Walker's son was the All Stars' drummer.

Clear memories include the Temps dancing around their 4-way microphone stand, and Damon Harris showing us his vocal prowess.

Later that year, I returned to the venue to see Four Tops, with The Spinners opening.

On that night, and slightly sadly, I felt that The Spinners gave the better performance by far. There was something fresh about Philippe Wynne skipping down the centre aisle of the theatre and doing his uplifting vocal improvisations. By contrast, the Tops seemed just a little static and less exciting to my 19-year old self.

Oh, to go back there and witness those gigs through my more seasoned eyes and ears. How would they seem?

Stevie Wonder 1967 in Amsterdam recording of a live show to be broadcast on Dutch televion Stevie In Wonderland [[?)

For me it was seeing the Four Tops live at the East Ham Odeon cinema [[in east London), probably in 1966. My mum took me along. It was a wonderful evening with everyone out of their seats dancing. The Four Tops were superb.

Rick James Street Songs Tour at Madison Square Garden then Diana Ross in Central Park, first night with the storm

Diana Ross & the Supremes at the Forum, August 16, 1969. Opening acts were the Jackson Five, Edwin Starr & the Edwin Hawkins singers.

Luther Allison at Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois in April 1975. Luther was the opening act for Muddy Waters and his band.

Diana Ross 1982, Wembley Arena, I won the tickets in the Daily Mirror , also last concert Saturday night at the Albert Hall, not many Motown Artists touring now, although Gladys Knight is back in 2024

Diana Ross and the Supremes - 1968 - Vancouver, Pacific Coliseum
    Stevie Wonder - 1974 - same place
    Diana Ross - 1982 - same place
    Temptations 2009 - Vancouver - Queen Elizabeth Theatre

"The Supremes Mary Wilson" 1986 NYC outdoor park gig ....great show!!!! RED HOT was extended and spectacular... she left the stage and came down into the grass to greet and kiss fans...lucky me I was one....

What wonderful memories! Mine are:

1970 The Four Tops, at The Gaumont, Southampton
    1971 Martha Reeves and the Vandellas [[Lois and Sandy) at The Winter Gardens, Bournemouth. They were opening for Stevie Wonder. It was quite an evening!
    1972 The Supremes [[same venue)
    1972 The Temptations [[same venue)
    1973 Gladys Knight & the Pips [[same venue)

February 71 - Martha & the Vandellas at the Hammersmith Odeon. Appropriately the opening song was 'Come & Get These Memories'. They were the support act to Stevie Wonder but for me stole the show. Stevie was great when singing but this was the period when he started experimenting with synthesisers and for me that spot in his act went on too long and quite frankly just left me bored.

1965 UK Tour in London at Finsbury Park Astoria

Junior Walker And The All Stars, early 70's can't remember exactly when, The Hardrock Manchester. Absolutely fantastic. 2 drummers, one of which Junior's son.
    Sadly only Motown act I ever saw.