[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - I Will Survive - live @ziggodome Amsterdam 🇳🇱 12 October 2023

Not the best sound recording....

Venue was soldout.
    Last edited by jack020; 10-13-2023 at 10:04 AM.

She got good reviews [[in Dutch) and apparently only “love Hangover” was really off key.

Name:  af69e0d8-447b-4f96-a101-20b3dd9fa2ca.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  13.7 KB

Name:  868ff461-c4f9-4210-a665-416130cb4932.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  17.0 KB

One quote: “enough glitter and feathers to open a shop”

boy the long version of I WILL SURVIVE. she do love that song!

but good for her ....it is a great song.

All smiles watching this . Bravo Miss Ross!

[oh, what's with this call me anytime bit ??.....as if ... ] [...I know its a line from... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    boy the long version of I WILL SURVIVE. she do love that song!

but good for her ....it is a great song.

All smiles watching this . Bravo Miss Ross!

[oh, what's with this call me anytime bit ??.....as if ... ] [...I know its a line from... ]
    Pleased to hear the venue was sold out as ticket sales are very sluggish here in the UK.
    Diana sounds in reasonable voice here, though “I Will Survive” is enough to keep me away.

As long as All We Do Is Win is included in IWS, it’s fine. IWS is a good song but I’m tired of it like I’m tired of Baby Love and Marvin’s Grapevine.

In this version, it sounds like you can hear Rhonda and while her voice is strong, it would never have the appeal of Diana’s voice.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    As long as All We Do Is Win is included in IWS, it’s fine. IWS is a good song but I’m tired of it like I’m tired of Baby Love and Marvin’s Grapevine.

In this version, it sounds like you can hear Rhonda and while her voice is strong, it would never have the appeal of Diana’s voice.
    I still enjoy her recorded version of IWS” but am beyond bored with her live versions. I know it’s a crowd pleaser, but she has so many wonderful songs of her own. I hate “All We Do Is Win” with a vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Pleased to hear the venue was sold out as ticket sales are very sluggish here in the UK.
    Diana sounds in reasonable voice here, though “I Will Survive” is enough to keep me away.
    My fried Lily in the UK just told me sales arent sluggish and sent me this. It dont look sluggish to me.

https://tickets.royalalberthall.com/...formance/83099

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    My fried Lily in the UK just told me sales arent sluggish and sent me this. It dont look sluggish to me.

$304 lbs - isn’t that $700? That’s a lot!

what does your friend bluebrock in the UK say ??
    good grief could we please hear from him .....aren't some of you concerned by his absence ??

added:
    whoops thought this was my bluebrock thread. Oh well I'll leave it. The question still stands.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-13-2023 at 08:01 PM.

How can anyone not like this?

Thank you Roberta. And I agree. Doesn’t look sluggish to me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I still enjoy her recorded version of IWS” but am beyond bored with her live versions. I know it’s a crowd pleaser, but she has so many wonderful songs of her own. I hate “All We Do Is Win” with a vengeance.

I have similar thoughts. I WILL SURVIVE makes for a great "thanks for coming, now head for the exits" type closing number, but not as the grand finale inviting even your daughter on stage to sing to it . As you said she has so many of her own real treasures to highlight as her final crescendo .

As far as a crowd pleaser , out of a hundred attendees I wonder at the end how many of them are thinking, "Thank goodness , I was worried she wasn't going to sing I WILL SURVIVE."

The song seems to really mean something to her. Maybe with the passing now of Tina Turner , even more so.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-14-2023 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

How can anyone not like this?
    I find the sentiment of the song really off putting. Just not for me.

I don’t know about you, but when I go to a Ross concert, I go in very late as I only want to hear her sing the fabulous inspirational I Will Survive. That alone is worth the price of admission. It’s even more breathtaking when Rhonda joins in. Good God, I have chills just thinking about it.

I have similar thoughts. I WILL SURVIVE makes for a great "thanks for coming, now head for the exits" type closing number, but not as the grand finale inviting even your daughter on stage to sing to it . As you said she has so many of her own real treasures to highlight as her final crescendo .

As far as a crowd pleaser , out of a hundred attendees I wonder at the end how many of them are thinking, "Thank goodness , I was worried she wasn't going to sing I WILL SURVIVE."

The song seems to really mean something to her. Maybe with the passing now of Tina Turner , even more so.
    The thing about “Survive” being the world and his wife know the lyrics, being a crowd pleaser for the casual punter. Having said that and as you rightly point out, would anyone really care if she didn’t sing it?. I think not.

I Will Survive appeals mainly only to women and maybe a few gay men. I can’t stand it. Almost every cover band with a female singer sings it. Women immediately stand up, scream, and start waving their arms. It is so damn predictable.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 10-14-2023 at 01:05 PM.

Madonna opened her new tour/show last night in London and she performed I Will Survive on an acoustic guitar. Like "Here's to Life" and "I'm Still Here" this is a song that appeals to aging singers who have been through adversity.
    Last edited by Spreadinglove21; 10-15-2023 at 06:31 AM.

Is there a male equivalent as in my girl done me wrong song and i survived?.

I think Thank You by Sly is self affirmative and there are others I've liked, when I think of one I'll get back to you!

Frank Sinatra used "It was a Very good Year" in his shows in his later years as his "I'm still here and I've survived"/Life longevity appreciation song.

Surprised, but ....it works for me!!

[Why am I getting a Grace Jones vibe here?]

Surprised, but ....it works for me!!

[Why am I getting a Grace Jones vibe here?]
    Oh dear. Not a great performance IMO

Now that is my favorite version. It even beats Piafs for me.

Boogie--back in the 90's, I had a DJ friend who was something like 15 years older than I. One day he put on some horrible disco song, maybe it was Funky Town or something like that, and I blurted out "I HATE DISCO!!!" I was young and opinionated, but he explained to me that there was a time when disco music was beautiful music, before it got commercialized in the late 70's. I never really thought about it, and then I remembered how beautiful songs like When Will I See You Again [[Three Degrees) and Love's Theme [[Love Unlimited Orchestra) were when I was a kid in the 70's. La Vie En Rose is another example. I absolutely love the strings in that song!

Anyway, I never liked Diana's version of I Will Survive. Such a bored housewife song. I can't relate at all. PLUS, I don't think DR's voice is at all suited for the song, especially after Gloria Gaynor's take. Just like I can't envision GG singing Touch Me In the Morning or Where Did Our Love Go.

Grace was so severe!!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Boogie--back in the 90's, I had a DJ friend who was something like 15 years older than I. One day he put on some horrible disco song, maybe it was Funky Town or something like that, and I blurted out "I HATE DISCO!!!" I was young and opinionated, but he explained to me that there was a time when disco music was beautiful music, before it got commercialized in the late 70's. I never really thought about it, and then I remembered how beautiful songs like When Will I See You Again [[Three Degrees) and Love's Theme [[Love Unlimited Orchestra) were when I was a kid in the 70's. La Vie En Rose is another example. I absolutely love the strings in that song!

Anyway, I never liked Diana's version of I Will Survive. Such a bored housewife song. I can't relate at all. PLUS, I don't think DR's voice is at all suited for the song, especially after Gloria Gaynor's take. Just like I can't envision GG singing Touch Me In the Morning or Where Did Our Love Go.
    Aha so you like strings do you

well in the secret world of discotheques this swirling beauty was a Number One fave :

[also for what its worth , those strong strings heard singing in FUNKYTOWN are real]
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-19-2023 at 03:19 PM.

She's been performing this song for like 28 years but I don't get why. It's not what stands out as a "Diana Ross classic". It wasn't like Whitney doing "I'm Every Woman" or something [[which I found myself chuckling since Narada Michael Walden produced it the same way he did Whitney's version of IEW).

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    She's been performing this song for like 28 years but I don't get why. It's not what stands out as a "Diana Ross classic". It wasn't like Whitney doing "I'm Every Woman" or something [[which I found myself chuckling since Narada Michael Walden produced it the same way he did Whitney's version of IEW).
    I get why she performed in 95/96 for the Take Me Higher tour as the song was on the album. And I get why she did it after she got passed her personal problems at the turn of the century, but at some point the song should have been retired. I guess she enjoys performing it and still relates to it as she did 20 years ago when she had renewed herself after her life took a bad turn.

That clip above is not a live recording: you hear the original recording of the Love Unlimited Orchestra and there is no rhythm section to be seen in the clip!

The original 12 inch