[REMOVE ADS]

Your Last Motown CD

Just out of interest, what was the last [[latest) Motown CD you purchased?

For myself and for the record this week was an EBay win of a Japanese Mini-LP CD of Grover Washington's "Skylarkin' " [[UICY75551). Although I have an early US Motown CD edition of this title, I am a sucker for the Japanese mini-LP format. I'm glad I made a bid and won it at a very reasonable price indeed.

How about telling us about your latest CD purchase [[and when)?

The Mary Wilson set. Pre-ordered two copies. Love it.

About a month ago: A clean copy of the first [I think] U.S. pressing of The Marvelettes' Playboy​. Scored it for a buck-fifty, too!
    Last edited by sansradio; 10-10-2023 at 12:28 PM.

Whilst on holiday in Biarritz, France recently I found a small shop selling CDs. They had an interesting soul section - they seemed to have brand new copies of some of those Belgian Marginal CDs!

I managed to get the Mary Wells Greatest Hits CD - with that gawdy "A Motown Compact Classic" graphic surrounding the cover.

Had all the tracks already but nice to have these original Greatest Hits albums on CD.

The Mary Wilson set.

The Essential Diana Ross & The Supremes and A Cellarful Of Motown Vol 5 both bought on 18th May 2021.

I bought one of those Motown remixed CDs at the time ... my only Motown CD purchase .....

those guitars!

Mary Wilson Anthology.

Mary Wilson "Motown Anthology" CD set.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-10-2023 at 01:30 PM.

I thought it was the Mary Wilson Motown Anthology, but a quick check shows me that it was actually Stoney & Meatloaf Everything Under the Sun: The Motown Sessions. Both were 2022.

For info, the Mary Wilson Motown Anthology was released on Mar 4, 2022 whereas Stoney & Meatloaf "Everything Under The Sun" was released on Jun 3, 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by wichmanne View Post
    Whilst on holiday in Biarritz, France recently I found a small shop selling CDs. They had an interesting soul section - they seemed to have brand new copies of some of those Belgian Marginal CDs!

I managed to get the Mary Wells Greatest Hits CD - with that gawdy "A Motown Compact Classic" graphic surrounding the cover.

Had all the tracks already but nice to have these original Greatest Hits albums on CD.
    Good find. Would that be the first CD issue on Motown – MCDO9016MD, or the last CD re-issue on Motown – 3746352332 [[or even one in-between MOTD-5233)?

"Mary Wilson Anthology"
    "All Turned On"
    "Stoney & Meatloaf"
    "Seneraders Discography" for 1 unreleased Motown track.
    "Switched On Blues" for a couple of alts.
    "16 big Hits Vol. 8" to complete the series.

Well I still buy older Motown CDs every chance I get at yard sales and thrift stores. But if you are talking brand new CDs, I guess the Mary Wilson anthology would be one of my last ones. In fact I bought a second copy that I will keep tucked away and sell a few years down the road when they are harder to find.

Mary wilson anthology

VA-A Cellarful of Motown! Vol. 5 [Sept. 2020].

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Well I still buy older Motown CDs every chance I get at yard sales and thrift stores. But if you are talking brand new CDs, I guess the Mary Wilson anthology would be one of my last ones. In fact I bought a second copy that I will keep tucked away and sell a few years down the road when they are harder to find.
    Interested in whatever your last Motown CD purchase was, including oldies and used, as otherwise most answers would be the same.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 10-11-2023 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    "Mary Wilson Anthology"
    "All Turned On"
    "Stoney & Meatloaf"
    "Seneraders Discography" for 1 unreleased Motown track.
    "Switched On Blues" for a couple of alts.
    "16 big Hits Vol. 8" to complete the series.
    I think you're a collector in the same vein as myself. Still adding from the back catalogue. Intrigued by The Serenaders find there - what is that CD please?

Complete Motown Singles, Volume 2: 1962 [[August 2023). Volume 2 was one of the four Complete Motown Singles sets I still hadn't acquired. I was able to buy a new copy in August for a reasonable price.

Temptations 60 cd...

"New" for me would be Mary Wilson....

My last Motown CD purchase though was a copy of "Cookin With The Miracles" off Ebay a couple months ago for my back issue CD collection.
    Darin

Miracles Box Set - Depend on Me - their early Motown albums and Mary Wells Lost and Found

Mystery it`s "The Serenaders Discography Featuring George Kerr" Jersey #1001. 24 songs including the 4 tracks that we already have plus the unreleased "Only Mine" also George`s "Hey Girl"

My last new Motown CD releases were Mary Wilson Anthology and Stoney & Meatloaf. Older Motown releases were the Motown Karaoke sets I found on Dusty Groove.

The last one I bought? "The Supremes Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland" Expanded Edition.

In the last year, i've acquired top-notch comprehensive singles collections by Stevie Wonder and The Jackson 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Mystery it`s "The Serenaders Discography Featuring George Kerr" Jersey #1001. 24 songs including the 4 tracks that we already have plus the unreleased "Only Mine" also George`s "Hey Girl"
    Thanks Roger

My first thought was that it must have been the 'new' Marvin Gaye album 'You're the Man,' so that would have been three years ago. Still seems new to me and like most people, I buy CDs much more rarely these days. However, then I remembered that this year I finally snagged 'Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta/Syreeta' on CD from eBay. A bargain at only £10, even though it was used.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidactingsmart View Post
    My first thought was that it must have been the 'new' Marvin Gaye album 'You're the Man,' so that would have been three years ago. Still seems new to me and like most people, I buy CDs much more rarely these days. However, then I remembered that this year I finally snagged 'Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta/Syreeta' on CD from eBay. A bargain at only £10, even though it was used.
    The good thing about a used CD is that - provided it plays properly - it will always sound as good as new.

I now use a Bluesound Vault 2 as my digital source, so as long as a CD rips correctly onto the Vault the jobs a goodun as far as I'm concerned. Plus I can back or copy the album up as many times as I like.