[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Diana & Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Kind of like Donald had one set of figures for IRS and another set for banks to obtain loans
    And that loony lady Sidney Powell justst pled guilty today. Trumps going down and im sure part of her plea deal and probaation is to spill all she knows about President Pussy Grabber. Fani Willis the DA of Fulton County in Georgia is going to take him down. Couldn't happen to a worse man.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    No one remembers ANY of the Marvin/Diana duets these days unless you're a diehard fan of them both.

But ask anyone of:
    Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    Your Precious Love
    Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing
    You're All I Need to Get By

Ears will perk up. The Marvin/Tammi duets are forever iconic compared to the duets with Ross, Mary Wells and Kim Weston [[though It Takes Two is still pretty memorable today).
    That does seem to be the case as i witnessed most recently. Certainly with anyone under 40. It might be due to the fact that those Marvin/Tammi songs are often featured in tv advertising, certainly the case here in the UK. Diana’s solo version of “Mountain” is often to be heard as well.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 10-20-2023 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    That does seem to be the case as i witnessed most recently. Certainly with anyone under 40. It might be due to the fact that those Marvin/Tammi songs are often featured in tv advertising, certainly the case here in the UK. Diana’s solo version of “Mountain” is often to be heard as well.
    I feel certain that if you asked anyone in the UK about You Are Everything and Stop, Look Listen To Your Heart they would think Diana and Marvin. Stop.. was used in one of the Bridget Jones films too so that gives the song a resonance.
    Last edited by rovereab; 10-20-2023 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    No one remembers ANY of the Marvin/Diana duets these days unless you're a diehard fan of them both.

But ask anyone of:
    Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    Your Precious Love
    Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing
    You're All I Need to Get By

Ears will perk up. The Marvin/Tammi duets are forever iconic compared to the duets with Ross, Mary Wells and Kim Weston [[though It Takes Two is still pretty memorable today).
    true. but there are also plenty of hits that just don't really stand the test of time. they're still wonderful songs but the general public has forgotten them. they're apparently not as enduring.

I'm Gonna Make You Love Me is recognized but IMO not as much as it SHOULD be. this was the first mega duet pairing of the rock era. the two undisputed top R&B groups of the time. this should have been something like the Boys II Men and Mariah pairings of the late 90s. sure the song might still pop up on oldies channels now and then but it should have been bigger and it should have endured longer

meanwhile Reflections reached the same chart position as IGMYLM but it didn't sell like the duet did. but still, people absolutely know it today as a major Sup song.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    true. but there are also plenty of hits that just don't really stand the test of time. they're still wonderful songs but the general public has forgotten them. they're apparently not as enduring.

I'm Gonna Make You Love Me is recognized but IMO not as much as it SHOULD be. this was the first mega duet pairing of the rock era. the two undisputed top R&B groups of the time. this should have been something like the Boys II Men and Mariah pairings of the late 90s. sure the song might still pop up on oldies channels now and then but it should have been bigger and it should have endured longer

meanwhile Reflections reached the same chart position as IGMYLM but it didn't sell like the duet did. but still, people absolutely know it today as a major Sup song.
    If you go look at Spotify statistics, you will notice that several Diana and Marvin cuts are on the most streamed list

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    If you go look at Spotify statistics, you will notice that several Diana and Marvin cuts are on the most streamed list
    it is interesting as to which songs seem to stand the test of time. Reflections and My World seem have to endured longer and more broadly than Love Is Here, Love is Like An Itching, In and out, nathan Jones.

it is interesting as to which songs seem to stand the test of time. Reflections and My World seem have to endured longer and more broadly than Love Is Here, Love is Like An Itching, In and out, nathan Jones.
    Some songs are very popular in their day and then vanish from the public memory. Others endure even if they may not have charted as high at time of initial roll out to the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I feel certain that if you asked anyone in the UK about You Are Everything and Stop, Look Listen To Your Heart they would think Diana and Marvin. Stop.. was used in one of the Bridget Jones films too so that gives the song a resonance.
    I would have thought so to, but that has not been my experience when talking to younger peeps as in [[30’s).

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yeah on THEIR lists. Not of all time.

Like on Marvin's, You Are Everything is number 14. On Diana's, it's NUMBER SIX. Whereas Stop... is number 11 on Diana's, while it's number 19 on Marvin's. So it reflects on what is popular for them, but not all time. By comparison, the ORIGINAL ANMHE with Marvin & Tammi is the most streamed song of all time from the 1960s at 1.135 billion streams. Both It Takes Two and You're All I Need to Get By are around 63-66 million streams.

ANLTRT and YPL are over YAE on Marvin's list. Marvin's I Want You is only 1.4 million streams apart from each other.

You Are Everything and Stop... are their highest duets so you can assume that most if not all of the streams are from European countries.

But then the other songs they did come up very short:
    You're a Special Part of Me is their biggest US charted duet together but on Spotify, the streams are only 590,509 streams.

Then here's the rest:
    My Mistake - 4.2 million [[oddly enough that has streamed much better)
    Don't Knock My Love - 619,914
    Pledging My Love - 411,306
    Love Twins - 616,427
    Just Say, Just Say - 402,564
    I'm Falling in Love with You - 492,235
    Include Me in Your Life - 307,638

Here's how the bonus tracks fared:
    Alone - 290,871
    The Things I Will Not Miss - 316,073
    I've Come to Love You So Much - 199,932
    I'll Keep My Light in My Window - 322,889

Total streams - 66,447,130

Compared that to some of the Marvin & Tammi albums:
    United - 1.181 billion
    You're All I Need - 93.3 million

The Marvin & Kim album, "Take Two", just off It Takes Two alone, accumulated 71 million streams.

Only Easy and Together w/Mary Wells did much worse - 10 million and 3.985 million respectively.

That's because Reflections and MWIEWY are instant classics. It seems of the 12 number ones, Love Is Here has endured worse than the other 11 [[quite an impressive record). Not even 5 million streams yet. I wonder what happened!?

But I remembered when DR-SP-LL did Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart on the VH1 Divas show and I don't think many recognized it at all. I mean yeah they stood up and danced but I don't recall people singing along to it. She had Donna Summer and Mariah Carey [[in a truncated duet version) do the far more memorable Supremes tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I would think they don't really need those commercials. You Are Everything was one of the biggest hits for both of their careers. ANMHE only went to number 33 in the UK but I guess it's kinda endured better in the UK then here, despite it being number one. It's remembered but it seems the original definitely trumped it:

1.135 billion to Diana's 67 million.

A review i could have written myself. A delightful duets album that has stood the test of time. I wish the expanded version had included solo versions of the songs.