[REMOVE ADS]

VA - The Essential John Luongo - The Dance Mixes [[2023)

Boston-born producer and DJ and remixer, primarily known for his work on Disco and Soul recordings during the 1970s and 1980s. Early Boston Disco DJ known for playing at local Rhinoceros club and publishing the Boston nightlife and culture magazine Nightfall. Luongo provided mix/remix work for CBS and many other labels, and headed his own CBS imprint, Pavillion, for several years in the 1980s. He also performed some remix and production work in the UK.
    Tracklist
    01 Dan Hartman - Vertigo / Relight My Fire
    02 Patti LaBelle - Music Is My Way of Life [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    03 Jackie Moore - This Time Baby
    04 Melba Moore - You Stepped Into My Life [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    05 Stanley Clarke - Just a Feeling [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    06 Marilyn McCoo - Shine on Silver Moon [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    07 Gladys Knight - You Bring Out the Best in Me [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    08 Sly & The Family Stone - Dance to the Music [[John Luongo Dance Remix)
    09 The Mighty Clouds Of Joy - In These Changing Times [[John Luongo Dance Remix)
    10 Santana - One Chain [[Don't Make No Prison) [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    11 Johnny Mathis - Gone, Gone, Gone [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    12 Melba Moore - Pick Me Up, I'll Dance
    13 Marlena Shaw - Touch Me in the Morning
    14 Barbra Streisand - Night Of My Life [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    15 Cheap Trick - Saturday at Midnight [[Super New Dance Re-Mix)
    16 Sly Stone - I Get High on You [[John Luongo Dance Remix)
    17 Angela Clemmons - Give Me Just a Little More Time [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    18 KC And The Sunshine Band - Give It Up [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    19 Sarah Dash - [[Come and Take This) Candy from Your Baby [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    20 Michael Bolton - [[Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay [[Lightnin' Bolton Mix)
    21 Nigel Olsson - Little Bit Of Soap [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    22 Edgar Winter - Above And Beyond [[Extended Version)
    23 Jackie Moore - How's Your Love Life Baby [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    24 Gladys Knight & The Pips - Save the Overtime [[For Me) [[John Luongo Disco Mix)
    25 Dan Hartman - Free Ride
    26 Marlena Shaw - Suite Seventeen: It Was a Very Good Year / I'm a Foster Child
    27 KC And The Sunshine Band - [[You Said) You'd Gimme Some More
    28 Gladys Knight & The Pips - I Will Fight
    29 Dexter wansel - Life on Mars
    30 Stephen Stills - You Can't Dance Alone
    31 Dan Hartman - Vertigo/Relight My Fire [[Progressive Instrumental Remix)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TQGg6YTuM7Wh64

not to cast aspersions, but the John Luongo curse , look at all these titles , some being brilliant and others being real stinkers .....but regardless, not one [ KC the exception ] translated into a big pop hit ....

Some like this one imo being especially tasty ...

Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-06-2023 at 01:44 PM.

A lot of them ended up high in the dance/disco charts !

What happened to the post about the Luongo box coming out?

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...s-john-luongo/

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    A lot of them ended up high in the dance/disco charts !

What happened to the post about the Luongo box coming out?

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...s-john-luongo/

I wondered where it had gone too? I think the box shows him in a more favourable light? The second half of disc 3 starts to kick for me. "Save the overtime" was a hit over here in the UK. "Zulu" hasn't aged very well but was a personal favourite on release. "You're too late" is one I've played time and time again and still do. Definitely my favourite on the compilation. On disc 4. Patti Labelle is the only one I'm unfamiliar with. The other 9 all did pretty well from memory.
    Discs 1 & 2 are a bit poppy but no problems in my opinion. If this was in the 20 quid/25 usd bracket, I'd probably give it a go.

I love to see a DJ dressed up. Looking so professional. In the beginning dressing up was part of the scene ... trying to look good and to impress.

By the end of the 70's that was largely gone and we started dressing for the long haul of a long sweaty night and by 1 am, as many were not wearing shirts as those that were....

But I did like the dress code concept ....just added to the specialty, the seriousness lol, of going out ....

I think Luongo had that classy taste about him .....SILVER MOON is so polished , a nicely dressed couple doing a crafted couples dance seems mandatory to properly represent it ....

.....including on SOUL TRAIN

Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-18-2023 at 12:05 PM.

First of all I must be out of the loop because I have never even HEARD of this person. I definitely see some names on here to get excited about [[Melba, Gladys, Johnny) but I have always been turned off by the whole concept of having so many different mixes to any given song. Just give me one logical 3-4 minute version of a song and I am happy. Yet some artists will release an entire CD that has nothing but various takes on the same song!

So I don't see myself buying this for that reason but yet it is nice to see such old school names being kept out there to show these young whippersnappers what real music should sound like. And of course I am happy to see CDs still being released, as I have said many times over.

New Interview with John Luongo from The Second Disc.com-

A Second Disc Interview: Mixing It Up with John Luongo - The Second Disc

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    First of all I must be out of the loop because I have never even HEARD of this person. I definitely see some names on here to get excited about [[Melba, Gladys, Johnny) but I have always been turned off by the whole concept of having so many different mixes to any given song. Just give me one logical 3-4 minute version of a song and I am happy. Yet some artists will release an entire CD that has nothing but various takes on the same song!

So I don't see myself buying this for that reason but yet it is nice to see such old school names being kept out there to show these young whippersnappers what real music should sound like. And of course I am happy to see CDs still being released, as I have said many times over.
    Keep in mind these are in-house 12" remixes done in real time back in the day.... of CBS product.... done so to make them DJ desirable in the discos by lengthening, improving the sound, adding this and that ... better DJ friendly intros, breaks , etc.... This is not like taking a song and handing it to eight remixers who each put their own stamp on it...creating an assortment of versions as would happen to dance mixes years later...or modernizing a tune that's already run its course with new whistles and computer noise.

For example the SHINE ON SILVER MOON cut mentioned already:

this is what one would hear if they had bought their album and this is what was handed to Luongo to work with to develop his seven minute+ version:

why McCoo and Davis didn't work this record is a mystery to me. Excellent use of their vocals .

here's another favorite from this volume of work:

released when disco was supposedly dead. I do hear a sadness in this tune [anybody else?]... and I'm wondering if there was sadness in my own life when this was out that it evokes ...
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-12-2024 at 03:50 PM.