[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I’m sure there are many fans who would love to attend but simply can’t afford the high ticket prices being charged for the privilege.
    Though not the same, that’s where You Tube comes in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I’m sure there are many fans who would love to attend but simply can’t afford the high ticket prices being charged for the privilege.
    Though not the same, that’s where You Tube comes in handy.
    There's also some overlap in Diana Ross and Madonna fan bases. Madonna is doing shows in London and charging even more than Ross/Royal Albert Hall so some may have chosen to go see Madonna and skip Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Flo did you enjoy ??
    Absolutely loved it, dickiemint -will write my thoughts.

Set list:

01 I'm Coming Out
    02 More Today Than Yesterday
    03 My World Is Empty Without You
    04 Baby Love
    05 Stop! In the Name of Love
    06 Come See About Me
    07 Reflections
    08 You Can't Hurry Love
    09 Love Child
    10 The Boss
    11 Endless Love
    12 If We Hold On Together
    13 Upside Down
    14 Touch Me In The Morning
    15 Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand)
    16 Love Hangover
    17 Ease On Down The Road
    18 Fine And Mellow
    19 Don't Explain
    20 Home
    21 I Still Believe
    22 Count On Me
    23 If The World Just Danced
    24 Why Do Fools Fall In Love
    25 Do You Know Where You're Going To
    26 Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    27 I Will Survive
    28 Thank You

A few here don't seem to have enjoyed this but I thoroughly loved it despite a nightmare getting there!

First of all the plane was too late the night to land before the curfew at our City Airport and was diverted to International so we had to wait the next morning while it was brought down from there - the Easyjet flight scheduled after us departed first!

Then the Gatwick Express wasn't operating on Saturday and we had to suffer an abominable journey on the normal Brighton train - slow and jam-packed.

The District and Circle Underground Lines were shut for the weekend for maintenance and the result was chaotic especially on the Piccadilly Line.

Anyway enough of the useless information.

I was worried for the size of the audience because the streets around the Hall were amazingly quiet.

However inside was buzzing and just after 1930hrs you could see there weren't nearly the number of empty seats we had been expecting.

I can't say it was full but from the front of the Hall it looked to be near something like 95% capacity.

The running time given looked strange and I was expecting maybe Rhonda and others would fill the first 20 minutes or so.

It began with a sort biopic of her early life and group days on a big screen at the back of the stage and and not long after the planned time Diana appeared herself [[obviously singing I'm Coming Out) to a standing ovation and the whole of the front rows remained on their feet for 90% of the concert!

She then moved on to More Today Than Yesterday which it seems she insists on always including.

Next a run of seven biggies from her group days as listed above with suitable videos in the background.

I have heard comments that this was like karaoke but everyone was having such a ball bopping about and singing along that while apparently she was lip-synching for this section we were having such a great time I barely noticed.

Particular affection for Baby, Stop! and YCHL but the one that really surpised me was Come See About Me.

I know it is particularly popular in the US but it has never meant much in the UK but it went down really well.

Love Child finished this section and then there was the short interval.

This was an inspired beginning to the concert - the crowd fed off Diana, she herself seemed to be buoyed by the reception and it just set the whole show up.

After a break of about 25 minutes Diana kicked off with The Boss and then came a particular highlight of the show.

There have been a few previous comments about it and I totally agree she gave amazing performances of Endless Love and If We Hold On Together.

I have to be honest and admit I have never been the greatest fan of her solo rendition of Endless - her voice has sounded a bit tinny and weak - but this was superb although towards the end she did lose it slightly for one of the few times in the whole performance similarly with Hold On but - sensational.

A big roar for Upside Down.

This was an extended section and she whipped up various sections of the crowd but for me I thought it went on just a bit too long.

Again a slight wobble in Touch Me In The Morning but it is quite a difficult song to sing and Reach Out And Touch with the crowd singing and arms swaying bringing back incredible memories of those incredible former days when everyone would join hands with the person next to them and rock!

Another bop to Love Hangover, Take Me Higher and Ease On Down The Road and then this is where I took a breather for a while and sat down.

I'm not the person to judge the next section of the show for I freely admit I'm just not into Lady and her blues singing but the audience seemed to enjoy it.

Then back into with the swing of things with tracks from last year's Thank You album.

Just when I thought we were going to avoid the dreaded Rhonda[[!) on she appeared to sing Count On Me with Mum - I think this is one of the weaker songs on Thank You but hey-ho it's a nice sentiment.

Party time again with If The World Just Danced and Diana took a short break.

I know it's not the general concensus here although I personally list Why Do Fools Fall In Love in my DR Top 10 but I was resigned to not hearing it when she bounced onto stage to Ooh-wah, Ooh-wah-ah.

They had the Vegas video on the screen and the audience were with me as we bopped and sang along.

The video was extended as Diana again took off and re-emerged for what we knew was nearing the end - her trademark Do You Know Where You're Going To segueing into Ain't No Mountain High Enough as the audience cheered and clapped.

The usual "this is the end" pretence and then she does an encore.

Now this shocked me - I was fully expecting Chain Reaction but no - you can all have one guess what she did and I'm sure 100% of you got it right - I Will Survive of course.

Moreover, the audience lapped it up and she appeared to leave for one last time but after continued cheering orchestrated by her band and backing singers on she came again to perform Thank You.

This was obviously all planned as the big screen video signed off with Thank You.

The second half of the concert's run time was given as 1hr15mins but it was nearly 2210hrs when it ended the second half having started just after 2030hrs so it did overrun by 20 minutes or so.

She was fantastic for a woman of 78 years old, compared to Glastonbury she was in key and her voice was strong with only an occasional wobble - how could you not expect this?

But I wasn't a happy bunny at one aspect.

I know this is her set show but considering the support the UK has given her over the years particularly in the early 90s when she had a rennaisance in Europe I think there could have been a little leeway given.

I appreciate that I'm Still Waiting has lost it's relevance [[although this was a fan audience and I think they would have liked it) but the two songs which would be most known now are When You Tell Me That You Love Me and of course Chain Reaction [[now past the 1m mark in the UK).

I was gutted that Reaction wasn't in the set.

However [[and who knows maybe because Glastonbury and The Jubilee Party were so poor it made this seem better) I thought this was great - she was in good form, her voice was mostly strong there was great rapport between Diana and the audience - a superb concert.

As we wended our way down Queen Gate to our hotel there was a smile on our faces and a spring in our step.

Apologies I know this sounds trite but if this is to be the last time I get to see Diana live [[and I thought last year at the O2 would have been it) then I can die happy!

And if it hadn't been for Diana I would probably never have gotten to see the inside of the Royal Albert Hall.

Apologies Circa but for me an 8.5 out of 10.

Florence I have to agree with you , and your review of the show, I have to that part of the reason I went o. Saturday was to say, I seen Diana Ross at the Royal Albert Hall, an icon in an iconic venue,
    I have been fortunate enough to see her at Cesears palace and Radio City in the USA and many locations in the U.K. and if that is the last time I see her performing live then I thoroughly enjoyed the show

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    After a break of about 25 minutes Diana kicked off with The Boss and then came a particular highlight of the show.

There have been a few previous comments about it and I totally agree she gave amazing performances of Endless Love and If We Hold On Together.

I have to be honest and admit I have never been the greatest fan of her solo rendition of Endless - her voice has sounded a bit tinny and weak - but this was superb although towards the end she did lose it slightly for one of the few times in the whole performance similarly with Hold On but - sensational.

A big roar for Upside Down.

This was an extended section and she whipped up various sections of the crowd but for me I thought it went on just a bit too long.

Again a slight wobble in Touch Me In The Morning but it is quite a difficult song to sing and Reach Out And Touch with the crowd singing and arms swaying bringing back incredible memories of those incredible former days when everyone would join hands with the person next to them and rock!

Another bop to Love Hangover, Take Me Higher and Ease On Down The Road and then this is where I took a breather for a while and sat down.

I'm not the person to judge the next section of the show for I freely admit I'm just not into Lady and her blues singing but the audience seemed to enjoy it.

Then back into with the swing of things with tracks from last year's Thank You album.

Just when I thought we were going to avoid the dreaded Rhonda[[!) on she appeared to sing Count On Me with Mum - I think this is one of the weaker songs on Thank You but hey-ho it's a nice sentiment.

Party time again with If The World Just Danced and Diana took a short break.

I know it's not the general concensus here although I personally list Why Do Fools Fall In Love in my DR Top 10 but I was resigned to not hearing it when she bounced onto stage to Ooh-wah, Ooh-wah-ah.

They had the Vegas video on the screen and the audience were with me as we bopped and sang along.

The video was extended as Diana again took off and re-emerged for what we knew was nearing the end - her trademark Do You Know Where You're Going To segueing into Ain't No Mountain High Enough as the audience cheered and clapped.

The usual "this is the end" pretence and then she does an encore.

Now this shocked me - I was fully expecting Chain Reaction but no - you can all have one guess what she did and I'm sure 100% of you got it right - I Will Survive of course.

Moreover, the audience lapped it up and she appeared to leave for one last time but after continued cheering orchestrated by her band and backing singers on she came again to perform Thank You.

This was obviously all planned as the big screen video signed off with Thank You.

The second half of the concert's run time was given as 1hr15mins but it was nearly 2210hrs when it ended the second half having started just after 2030hrs so it did overrun by 20 minutes or so.

She was fantastic for a woman of 78 years old, compared to Glastonbury she was in key and her voice was strong with only an occasional wobble - how could you not expect this?

But I wasn't a happy bunny at one aspect.

I know this is her set show but considering the support the UK has given her over the years particularly in the early 90s when she had a rennaisance in Europe I think there could have been a little leeway given.

I appreciate that I'm Still Waiting has lost it's relevance [[although this was a fan audience and I think they would have liked it) but the two songs which would be most known now are When You Tell Me That You Love Me and of course Chain Reaction [[now past the 1m mark in the UK).

I was gutted that Reaction wasn't in the set.

However [[and who knows maybe because Glastonbury and The Jubilee Party were so poor it made this seem better) I thought this was great - she was in good form, her voice was mostly strong there was great rapport between Diana and the audience - a superb concert.

As we wended our way down Queen Gate to our hotel there was a smile on our faces and a spring in our step.

Apologies I know this sounds trite but if this is to be the last time I get to see Diana live [[and I thought last year at the O2 would have been it) then I can die happy!

And if it hadn't been for Diana I would probably never have gotten to see the inside of the Royal Albert Hall.

Many thanks for taking the time to post this wonderful review Flo. Sounds like you had a nightmare journey, but well worth the hassle in the end.
    Hopefully this will lay those Glastonbury memories to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

Glad that you seemed to enjoy most of it. But agree that 'Chain Reaction' should have probably been the #1 inclusion on a UK setlist.

And Lord - why does she still insist on 'More Today' or 'I Will Survive'?

Half a dozen of the songs from that list could have been omitted with nobody caring and she could have added actual meaningful hits and memories like 'When You Tell Me That You Love Me', 'Remember Me' or even 'Someday We'll Be Together'.
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 10-18-2023 at 01:17 AM.

My thoughts are 100% percent: "Bravo Miss Ross"!!
    The lady knows no fear !!

As for Bluebrock being a no-show, I'm seriously concerned about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Bluebrock has been shying away from the forum for a while now so I wouldn't be too concerned. I really can't say I blame him either.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Glad that you seemed to enjoy most of it. But agree that 'Chain Reaction' should have probably been the #1 inclusion on a UK setlist.

And Lord - why does she still insist on 'More Today' or 'I Will Survive'?

Half a dozen of the songs from that list could have been omitted with nobody caring and she could have added actual meaningful hits and memories like 'When You Tell Me That You Love Me', 'Remember Me' or even 'Someday We'll Be Together'.
    yeah this come up a while ago in a thread here. I think she just really likes those two songs. I'm not aware of her EVER singing Someday post-Supremes except for Motown 25. the bits of her early 70s solo acts that i've heard, she would often do the standard 60s greatest hits medley that she had done during the DRATS era. sometimes Baby Love by itself. Someday [[instrumental) was included in the Evening With show. but i think that's the closest it's ever come

did Someday ever appear on the RTL set list?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Blue is quite active on a variety of FB groups for motown and/or Supremes. seems to be doing well

Okey Dokey.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Blue is quite active on a variety of FB groups for motown and/or Supremes. seems to be doing well
    Yes he is.

bluebrock sends his regards to everyone.
    He regrets that he did not get to see Diana this visit .
    Hopefully he will stop in here at SDF soon
    He appreciates the shout out

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    bluebrock sends his regards to everyone.
    He regrets that he did not get to see Diana this visit .
    Hopefully he will stop in here at SDF soon
    He appreciates the shout out
    please send that lovely friend of mine much love with Gods blessings.