Was David Ruffin actually fired from the Temptations? Whose decision was it that he was to exit from the group? Legally, did Motown [[Berry Gordy) have to approve the other members' demands that David should be fired?

Another reason I am asking this is because, on another forum, I suggested that if the two background singers of a famous female group were unhappy that the lead singer was getting all of the attention, could they have gone to Berry and successfully had her removed so that they could elevate one of them as the lead singer AND hired another girl to join the group as a background singer?

Now that I have asked the question, I am thinking that Berry might have suggested that if he were to approve such a drastic personnel change, he would 'wash his hands' of any support and promotion of the group.

Legally, though, could those two ladies fired their lead singer, regrouped with another member and retained the group's name?

Were there other personnel in Motown's group were fired other than David and one of the women from the famous female trio?