[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Davy Crockett

Davy Crockett

I was listening to a stripped down version of "Davy Crockett" tonight and realized that the background vocals feature non other than Rita "Syreeta" Wright [probably along with The Andantes]. She's the high voice that's featured out front of the backgrounds. Plus, when there's the section towards the latter part of the song where there's a high voice singing a sustained "ooh" while Mary sings and Flo is "whooping"... is also Rita "Syreeta" Wright. Since 1987 when the original released version of "Davy Crockett" came out on the Never-Before-Released Masters, I'd always thought it was Flo doubling that sustained "ooh." Nope, it's Syreeta. I'd also venture to say that Diana Ross was nowhere to be found on this record. No shade, just an observation. At one time, I would've said the Syreeta voice singing the title line over and over was DR. Again, nope.

For those in the know, if you travel to Germany, you can hear this stripped down version. Auf Wiedersehen!

Thanks for the info dan. Like you, i always thought it Flo doing most of the background singing with one of the Andantes. I guess they pulled in whoever was around at the time.
    A bit of a sleepy vocal from Mary on this one, but love her closing line “He sure loved” those woods” lol.

yeah i'd also assumed that was Flo doing the high part. i'd imagine the backgrounds are actually 0 supremes. probably just some of the As and Syreeta. As you mentioned with Diana most certainly not doing backing vocals, they probably wouldn't have M and F doing lead and backing at the same session.

i dont have a ton of the timeline for the Disney tunes. i do show that on 1/28, backing vocals were recorded for Toyland, I'm Late, Chim chim Cherer, Davey, Whistle, No Strings, land of make believe and When you wish

Sounds like Mary, Flo and one or two others doing the backgrounds to me. I always figured Diana was done recording backgrounds by this point so I just assume she's not on the recording.

Thank for this info! I'll be sure to listen for it next time. I always thought this was such a bizarre song choice, but I love the campiness of it.