[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    These posts are making me wonder about some of the negativity that comes from some of these singers, some of whom were very successful.

The worst was Aretha Franklin and it might be somewhat understandable because she had babies as a child and a fractured family and difficult upbringing.

The next worse is Gladys Knight and I don’t know what causes her to seem unhappy.

But occasionally, it sounds like Mary Wilson was also pissed off enough at Motown and Pedro and Berry and Diana and the FLOS and no recording contract and no hits etc.

Success doesn’t bring happiness and all of these women had levels of success. Some it doesn’t even bring financial security but it appears Mary at least had a proper Will which Aretha Franklin couldn’t manage.
    Isn't that life, though? Of course money doesn't make people happy, even though we often think it does. Look at Diana. All those stories about her nastiness toward other people, even though she was seemingly sitting on top of the world. And who can forget her drowning her sorrows in alcohol and then getting behind the wheel, putting not only her life but the lives of others in mortal danger.

These people are human and subject to human emotions and flaws and all of that. They all have issues. I don't believe for one moment that Aretha spent every day upset and angry. I still don't believe Gladys is this unhappy person you seem to think she is. Mary was pissed at times, and in many ways rightfully so, but she sure did seem to swing on out of here, on top of the world, hitless but very much loved.

They live life. None of them are perfect. They all have good and bad days. And I'd venture that more often than not, these folks are giving less attention to the negativity we the public seem to think they sit in hour after hour, day after day.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Isn't that life, though? Of course money doesn't make people happy, even though we often think it does. Look at Diana. All those stories about her nastiness toward other people, even though she was seemingly sitting on top of the world. And who can forget her drowning her sorrows in alcohol and then getting behind the wheel, putting not only her life but the lives of others in mortal danger.

These people are human and subject to human emotions and flaws and all of that. They all have issues. I don't believe for one moment that Aretha spent every day upset and angry. I still don't believe Gladys is this unhappy person you seem to think she is. Mary was pissed at times, and in many ways rightfully so, but she sure did seem to swing on out of here, on top of the world, hitless but very much loved.

They live life. None of them are perfect. They all have good and bad days. And I'd venture that more often than not, these folks are giving less attention to the negativity we the public seem to think they sit in hour after hour, day after day.
    Yeah that was a weird comment. There were times Aretha was a blast to be around and she often DID apologize if she felt she went over the line [[that's exactly what she did with Whitney after their 1988 session for the Through the Storm album). Gladys being unhappy is a new one because Gladys never came off as a bitter person even with the way she felt unwanted at Motown despite her and the Pips' success there. Like you said, Aretha, Gladys and Diana are just human and we shouldn't bolster just their negative traits and let that overshadow what they brought to the music industry and to their fans.