[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Well we have to think that Reflections hit because it was the Supremes [[Diana, Mary and a departing Flo) and HDH at the peak of their powers. In and Out of Love being successful just off their name but not well enough as Reflections.

Afterwards, with HDH gone and Motown reeling, no one knew what to do with them. They got lucky with Love Child because the music scene had drastically changed to grittier soul, including the psychedelic sound from Sly but, besides from Livin' in Shame and I'm Gonna Make You Love Me, the magic was gone.
    But within a year it was back with Someday We’ll Be Together

All this is relative. A #9 or number 20 hit for Diana or the Supremes is a flop but it’s big for Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers and the New Supremes and the originals etc

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    But within a year it was back with Someday We’ll Be Together

All this is relative. A #9 or number 20 hit for Diana or the Supremes is a flop but it’s big for Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers and the New Supremes and the originals etc
    I purposely didn't mention SWBT because of the history behind it almost being a Diana solo. I mean she had to leave the Supremes with a bang some kind of way!

I purposely didn't mention SWBT because of the history behind it almost being a Diana solo. I mean she had to leave the Supremes with a bang some kind of way!
    I also wouldn't be surprised if Someday hit big because it was advertised as Diana's swan song with the Supremes. It also was released at the right time: the end of the sixties.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I also wouldn't be surprised if Someday hit big because it was advertised as Diana's swan song with the Supremes. It also was released at the right time: the end of the sixties.
    I think "Someday" was just destined for what it became. Everything aligned up right.

First and foremost, it's just a damn great song, no matter what. The track is brilliant. Diana's lead is terrific, and Johnny's inclusion sent everything over the top.

The message of the song was very personal to a lot of people. The war was waging. Sons, brothers, husbands, friends were going off, many never coming back. "Someday" hit a lot of people where it counted.

It was a great mood to end a turbulent, noteworthy decade. Absolutely perfect.

And then there's the group itself. Diana moving on, the Supremes moving on, the hopeful futures of both. "Someday We'll Be Together" just made all the sense in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Yeah that's pretty much why it succeeded though the news of Diana leaving wasn't as a stunning announcement as the Beatles' breakup left but still devastating [[devastating enough for Luther Vandross to nearly repeat twelfth grade when he heard Diana was leaving. ).

Yeah that's pretty much why it succeeded though the news of Diana leaving wasn't as a stunning announcement as the Beatles' breakup left but still devastating [[devastating enough for Luther Vandross to nearly repeat twelfth grade when he heard Diana was leaving. ).
    you are leaving out the fact that it is a fantastic 45. It was perfect and it sounded perfect on the radio. People don’t buy records because it’s at the right time of the year or the right time of the decade they part with their heart into money, because they want to put the record on their spindle and listen to it over and over again. The record stormed out of the gate and zooming up the chart weeks before the announcement. Platinum 45s were rare back, then just like they are now, and it got a lot of support from radio because it was getting a lot of fan reaction. Four weeks number one on the R&B chart.