[REMOVE ADS]

Random TCB Review

are you asking us to just make one up? sort of like one of those improv games lol. i say 1 word and then you respond with 1, back and forth lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    are you asking us to just make one up? sort of like one of those improv games lol. i say 1 word and then you respond with 1, back and forth lol
    I am sorry I can’t get it to load, and I can’t get it to delete. So yes, go ahead and make one up!

Spectacular! Contains the best version of I’m Losing You and the beginning of understanding that Diana Ross would be a superstar.

But did we understand she would still be around at 80?

So many great hits and covers were performed by the 2 super groups, DRATS and the Temptations. Wonderful costumes! It sealed any doubt that Dennis Edwards, in this major tv outing with the group, belonged as one of the lead singers of the Temptations. Who could forget "I'm Losing You." Also the Supremes' rendition of "I Hear a Symphony" was spectacular along with the two groups' duet of "The Impossible Dream."

I think I was curious now more than ever why "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" wasn't performed.

If I’m correct it wasn’t released yet when they taped the special
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I think I was curious now more than ever why "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" wasn't performed.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    If I’m correct it wasn’t released yet when they taped the special
    Yes, the show was taped a couple months before the single and album were released. I'm not sure if it had even been recorded yet. So them not performing it on the special is forgivable.

What is not forgivable is that the two groups didn't come together on television to perform the song at all. Gordy should still be ashamed of himself for letting that opportunity pass by.

I've given my in depth thoughts on TCB in the forum multiple times. In short, it was well done. As others have already mentioned, "I'm Losing You" and "The Impossible Dream" are the highlights. Diana's Afro Vogue was groundbreaking. I really love the performance of "I Hear A Symphony" and "Without A Song" and "Hello Young Lovers".

My biggest issue with the show is that I wish there had been a decision to axe the covers [[even though I just mentioned three that I love, go figure), except "Dream", and focus on the two groups' original songs.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I've given my in depth thoughts on TCB in the forum multiple times. In short, it was well done. As others have already mentioned, "I'm Losing You" and "The Impossible Dream" are the highlights. Diana's Afro Vogue was groundbreaking. I really love the performance of "I Hear A Symphony" and "Without A Song" and "Hello Young Lovers".

My biggest issue with the show is that I wish there had been a decision to axe the covers [[even though I just mentioned three that I love, go figure), except "Dream", and focus on the two groups' original songs.
    I think the covers are there to help promote the live acts of each group. Motown wasn't just making money from selling their hit singles, but also by booking them into top clubs.

I have mixed feelings on TCB. Maybe it's because its the typical Diana Ross and the Supremes setlist with the Temptations. I do like the segment of them doing the covers of the current hits. I just always felt like the pairing of these two groups was too crowded which is why I felt it worked better for GIT. That was built more for a big ensemble. I do wonder if Flo was still in the group would she have been given a few of her comedic lines or what it'd be like if David was still in the group.

Overall though I think it's a great milestone for both groups and Motown. And it's a shame it's not recognized for that more.

I think the covers mixed with hits did a great job in expanding both groups appeal.
    It was certainly heaps better than the rather stodgy and overly saccharine GIT special, which is only redeemed by Diana’s leading lady segment underlining her superstar potential.

Just think if NBC had held back the air date until Feb and taped in November? We could have had exciting live versions of Love Child and Cloud 9 along with the I'm Gonna Make You Love Me duet. The spectacular ratings would have been even better.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Just think if NBC had held back the air date until Feb and taped in November? We could have had exciting live versions of Love Child and Cloud 9 along with the I'm Gonna Make You Love Me duet. The spectacular ratings would have been even better.
    Agree! Oh, if it had been so!

The second question should have been more of the same, with perhaps a Broadway medley from both groups instead a full hr of boring Broadway songs. They could have introduced Someday We'll Be Together on that

Mary's TCB "fall" wig is the best of any Supremes wig, followed by Mary's blonde, Diana's vidal sassoon from "You Can't Hurry Love" on Sullivan [[she can work that bang!), Diana's "poof" from the "Thou Swell" Sullivan performace, and Cindy's "mushroom" from the cover of "New Ways".

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Mary's TCB "fall" wig is the best of any Supremes wig, followed by Mary's blonde, Diana's vidal sassoon from "You Can't Hurry Love" on Sullivan [[she can work that bang!), Diana's "poof" from the "Thou Swell" Sullivan performace, and Cindy's "mushroom" from the cover of "New Ways".
    Add Flo's flip wig she wore during the Come See About Me period.

And the one sided one she wore a lot in 1966.
    Last edited by floyjoy678; 09-24-2023 at 03:22 PM.

I remember watching TCB when it first came out [and more recently on YouTube] and I still feel it's a landmark for Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Temptations. And as a landmark, it should be made available on DVD/Blu-Ray with all the trimmings [liner notes with behind the scenes information and a commentary track].

I get what y'all are saying. I just think by this point, hadn't both groups done enough standards and such? What exactly was left to prove? They were well rounded entertainers, and I'm betting the price tag to book both groups was evidence of this fact.

I do agree that the current hits by other artists medley was a good idea, with the exception of those hideous outfits.

I think my vision of the show would have been more of a mini concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    and a commentary track
    Dreaming of course, but a commentary track with Diana and Otis would be worth the price of the entire thing. Other than Cindy, they are the only two still living of the two groups [[seems so weird to think about). I guess Gordy could be involved. Who else is still around that had any in depth involvement in the show?

Dreaming of course, but a commentary track with Diana and Otis would be worth the price of the entire thing. Other than Cindy, they are the only two still living of the two groups [[seems so weird to think about). I guess Gordy could be involved. Who else is still around that had any in depth involvement in the show?
    George Schlatter is still with us. I wonder if Suzanne DePasse had her hands in this?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    George Schlatter is still with us. I wonder if Suzanne DePasse had her hands in this?
    I believe Suzanne worked on it as well.

It would be nice to see/hear Diana and Otis sharing memories. Maybe they could produce a bonus video of the two of them watching the show, similar to how the Miracles dvd had Smokey, Bobby, and Pete watch their 1963 Apollo performance.

that's an interesting point - if the taping had been delayed a few months. of course i'm sure part of the idea was to have the special air during the holidays. and to have the album in stores for Xmas shopping too

while i'd love to have LC, C9 and IGMYLM on the special, there would always be another great tune that just missed out.

as for GIT, it's a hot mess. the color palette chosen couldn't be more depressing. baby diarrhea isn't a good idea lol. and when you're making sensational Bob Mackie gowns look blah and lifeless, you know something is wrong

I agree that the hour of Broadway was just too much. especially with poorly executed medleys. the Temps Fiddler medley is ghastly. probably the worse thing they recorded. not to mention they're just out of tune on it. tragic. and the unaired Sups medley isn't much better. i realize we're listening to a bootleg so you have to take it with a little grain of salt. but i don't think M and C sounded especially strong on Remember. they too were out of tune. but the Porgy and Bess part was phenomenal!!

here's a thought - what if Funny Girl had done well? maybe not a #1 smash but at least sold well. would they have done the FG medley on GIT?

the goals of the specials was to really help broaden Diana's appeal. TCB showed her versatility with tackling those dances, all the different music.

GIT was just too much nonsense. the hokey skits [[while i get it were of their time, think Laugh In) were just useless. Maybe they could have done a special based on the history of r&b and black music. of course motown would have avoided anything too controversial, they could have still really showcased Diana's talent.

you could almost just have segments. frankly it's sort of like what Diana eventually did with RHRAB

Jazz - you practically could have recreated the scene of Billie Dee and Diana when they meet in LSTB. i don't mean literally but you could have done something like a Cotton Club experience with the Tempts in zoot suits, the girls all dressed up. and then maybe have a guest star or too. Imagine Cab Calloway playing with them!

Black musicals - Porgy and Bess, Cabin in the Sky, and others

Gospel - again, have a few guest stars join the gang

doo wop - a 50s era highlight and could easily transition into the dawn and growth of motown.

end with a medley of their hits and duets. might be a bit self serving to have their own music right up there along with the history. but hey lol. why not

as for GIT, it's a hot mess. the color palette chosen couldn't be more depressing. baby diarrhea isn't a good idea lol. and when you're making sensational Bob Mackie gowns look blah and lifeless, you know something is wrong

Oh, I agree so much about the color palette. It seems, to me, the same color palette was used for "The Wiz," which makes that movie, visually, dismal to me.
    The highlight of GIT was the leading lady medley.
    Last edited by jobucats; 09-25-2023 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Oh, I agree so much about the color palette. It seems, to me, the same color palette was used for "The Wiz," which makes that movie, visually, dismal to me.
    The highlight of GIT was the leading lady medley.
    oh the Wiz was a disaster lol. i think the idea of moving the location to a mythical NYC was fascinating. the set locations were perfect. but you're right. the look and colors of the costumes were too muted. against all of the grey concrete, you needed the most wild and colorful things possible. the scarecrow should have been bright colors, maybe fluorescents. the tin man should have been day-glow silver and golds.

oh the Wiz was a disaster lol. i think the idea of moving the location to a mythical NYC was fascinating. the set locations were perfect. but you're right. the look and colors of the costumes were too muted. against all of the grey concrete, you needed the most wild and colorful things possible. the scarecrow should have been bright colors, maybe fluorescents. the tin man should have been day-glow silver and golds.
    I agree about The Wiz and I found it amazingly boring but it has become Diana’s most successful and remembered movie. There are people out there that seem to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I agree about The Wiz and I found it amazingly boring but it has become Diana’s most successful and remembered movie. There are people out there that seem to love it.
    I sometimes play it if I’m having trouble sleeping lol.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It would be nice to see/hear Diana and Otis sharing memories. Maybe they could produce a bonus video of the two of them watching the show, similar to how the Miracles dvd had Smokey, Bobby, and Pete watch their 1963 Apollo performance.
    Yeah, and maybe afterwards they'll sing a few bars of "Buttered Popcorn" and "Red Hot". Silly Reese.

Yeah, and maybe afterwards they'll sing a few bars of "Buttered Popcorn" and "Red Hot". Silly Reese.
    Ha Ha! That would be cool!