[REMOVE ADS]

Message From Diana after Louisville Concert

All the shows have been amazing.
    I do so love this work because it’s just not like any other. It’s instantaneous reaction. You know how you’re doing and how it’s feeling in the moment. I don’t know any other work that is like this—not movies, not television, not any kind of business work. This is so immediate and the joy that is felt by the audience is immediate as well. It’s very special work. I’ll continue as long as I can, especially understanding how much I appreciate it and all of you. I’m so grateful ♥️ #dianaross #themusiclegacytour #dianarossthankyou

DianaRoss.com

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    All the shows have been amazing.
    I do so love this work because it’s just not like any other. It’s instantaneous reaction. You know how you’re doing and how it’s feeling in the moment. I don’t know any other work that is like this—not movies, not television, not any kind of business work. This is so immediate and the joy that is felt by the audience is immediate as well. It’s very special work. I’ll continue as long as I can, especially understanding how much I appreciate it and all of you. I’m so grateful ♥️ #dianaross #themusiclegacytour #dianarossthankyou

DianaRoss.com
    I saw this and thought how heartfelt she sounds and it shows in her performances.

yeah me as well Diana loves performing. She mentioned once that we would have to drag her off the stage. LOVE YOU DIANA... LOVE THE THE SUPREMES and yes >>>>LOVE MOTOWN.

What I found interesting is that she is publicly acknowledging there will be an end - she’s obviously considered it.

She will be 80 shortly; she isn’t jumping around onstage like she has in the past. I have questions about whether she could sing My Man like she did at the Grammy celebration and about how she would sing Endless Love with Lionel.

It’s nothing negative - it’s just reality.

she is pretty amazing....and when she actually "sings" [[instead of talk shouts the lyrics like she did for some time....) she still sounds really good...she has a boatload of material to pick from, so I assume she re-thinks her set list often...very few are still active and have had the long and successful career and following that she has...Bravo Diana!

She told Oprah in her last interview before Oprah stopped her show that if she started sounding bad she would quit singing.

We can't expect an 80 yr old woman to sound like she did at 25. Frankly to see her at this age sing the full lyrics to Baby Love is a little embarrassing.

I have not felt she has sounded good for some time, especially the concerts in the UK. Those were especially bad.

Diana Ross has always loved performing, it gives her life. I'm sure it is hard for her to conceive having to stop. But, it's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    We can't expect an 80 yr old woman to sound like she did at 25. Frankly to see her at this age sing the full lyrics to Baby Love is a little embarrassing.
    Problem being her audience is not entirely made up of dedicated fans. Those who do attend would generally rather hear something familiar like “Baby Love” as opposed to “I Thought That We Were Still In Love”.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Problem being her audience is not entirely made up of dedicated fans. Those who do attend would generally rather hear something familiar like “Baby Love” as opposed to “I Thought That We Were Still In Love”.
    To me, this is a totally accurate statement - Diana has to sing the hits to keep the crowds coming.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    To me, this is a totally accurate statement - Diana has to sing the hits to keep the crowds coming.
    If I were here manager I'd put something as juvenile as Baby Love into a medley, maybe with Where and Come See

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    She told Oprah in her last interview before Oprah stopped her show that if she started sounding bad she would quit singing.

I have not felt she has sounded good for some time, especially the concerts in the UK. Those were especially bad.

Diana Ross has always loved performing, it gives her life. I'm sure it is hard for her to conceive having to stop. But, it's coming.
    she sounded great last week. I saw three shows. I don’t recall you ever mentioning the embarrassment of Mary singing baby. Love a few years ago. The audience loves it. She loves it. Who’s embarrassed?

This is how she sounds without background singers, a tape, or, I believe auto tune

https://youtu.be/qfE19CuXybs?si=Nl7VHsb8WQGORZKC

I think it’s very difficult to do Where Did Our Love Go live. As recorded, it’s classic. Live, without everything in the recorded version, it can sound tinny and juvenile - Baby Love can too but it’s easier to recreate and sound somewhat like the original

Thanks Motown Maniac.

I wish she would do one more traditional jazz album. Her voice is well-suited for the genre, even more now than ever. She would be able to bring so much maturity and depth to it. I suspect that she would also get critical acclaim, just by nature of it being Diana Ross singing jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks Motown Maniac.

I wish she would do one more traditional jazz album. Her voice is well-suited for the genre, even more now than ever. She would be able to bring so much maturity and depth to it. I suspect that she would also get critical acclaim, just by nature of it being Diana Ross singing jazz.
    Excellent idea

Thanks Motown Maniac.

Yes! Since it appears she still has a strong desire to perform, maybe she should scale-down her venues to more intimate supper type clubs. At this point, I would think that great financial revenues are not important to her as she would receive from the larger scaled concerts. But then again, part of the reason she likes the larger venues is that it allows employment for her musicians, many I suppose have been with her for a while. A scaled down supper club would also mean a scaled down version of her supporting musicians.
    Also, these smaller concert venues might focus almost entirely on her standards/jazz repertoire. No, she does not need to trip over the tables as she runs through the audience singing, "I'm Coming Out."

Why would DIANA ROSS want to trade in her lifetime work, sixty years of accumulating and promoting music that identifies her as DIANA ROSS, for small gigs doing little known songs for a handful of people... [mind you, she's not just one of those many Supremes ] ...

Does Ross even care much about jazz???

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Why would DIANA ROSS want to trade in her lifetime work, sixty years of accumulating and promoting music that identifies her as DIANA ROSS, for small gigs doing little known songs for a handful of people... [mind you, she's not just one of those many Supremes ] ...

Does Ross even care much about jazz???
    It would be interesting to see just how a ‘Stolen Moments’ type tour would be received were it properly promoted. I’d like to think as a music legend there would still be enough interest in her to make such a tour a success, but who really knows?.

Thanks Motown Maniac.

she did it once at practically the peak of her career, why not do it again? My guess is that it’s more work then she wants to undertake it this time. It’s putting an entire new show together all those arrangements, Gil is not here anymore, I would like it. I think it’s a good idea, but I think it is out of the question to think that she’s going to do such a thing. Great idea, though!

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Yes! Since it appears she still has a strong desire to perform, maybe she should scale-down her venues to more intimate supper type clubs. At this point, I would think that great financial revenues are not important to her as she would receive from the larger scaled concerts. But then again, part of the reason she likes the larger venues is that it allows employment for her musicians, many I suppose have been with her for a while. A scaled down supper club would also mean a scaled down version of her supporting musicians.
    Also, these smaller concert venues might focus almost entirely on her standards/jazz repertoire. No, she does not need to trip over the tables as she runs through the audience singing, "I'm Coming Out."
    I saw three of her shows last week. She was having a blast…… I’ve never seen her so happy. The audience was loving every second of it. I can’t imagine why she would want to scale it down…… It’s perfect as it is: the audience is loving it, she’s loving it, what’s to change? I don’t get it.

Every night is different, yet basically the same. Sometimes she relies more on the help from the background. Then she does other times, one show she barely had any help at all. One she had more help. WDAF? Really, at 80, WGAFF? She’s alive and well and knocking it out of the park. to not be grateful just for that, let alone, amazed, is an absolute mystery to me. As I posted above, she sounded great without any help whatsoever at that point in the show, every night. She’s making her audience very very happy, and that’s her job, and she excels at it. As well or better than anyone else. I am thankful, when I consider that Mary and Florence are gone, and so many others are, that one of the brightest lights in the firmament is still shining to such a degree. If she were to come out on stage, sit in a chair, take questions, and or talk to the audience, and maybe sing a few songs, with gray hair no teeth and hammertoes so bad, no shoes would fit, I would still go see her. I would still be amazed That 60 years after I bought the baby love 45, I will still be going to see her. And thankful. That being said, I do have to count to 1000 by fractions every time more today than yesterday begins.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I saw three of her shows last week. She was having a blast…… I’ve never seen her so happy. The audience was loving every second of it. I can’t imagine why she would want to scale it down…… It’s perfect as it is: the audience is loving it, she’s loving it, what’s to change? I don’t get it.

Every night is different, yet basically the same. Sometimes she relies more on the help from the background. Then she does other times, one show she barely had any help at all. One she had more help. WDAF? Really, at 80, WGAFF? She’s alive and well and knocking it out of the park. to not be grateful just for that, let alone, amazed, is an absolute mystery to me. As I posted above, she sounded great without any help whatsoever at that point in the show, every night. She’s making her audience very very happy, and that’s her job, and she excels at it. As well or better than anyone else. I am thankful, when I consider that Mary and Florence are gone, and so many others are, that one of the brightest lights in the firmament is still shining to such a degree. If she were to come out on stage, sit in a chair, take questions, and or talk to the audience, and maybe sing a few songs, with gray hair no teeth and hammertoes so bad, no shoes would fit, I would still go see her. I would still be amazed That 60 years after I bought the baby love 45, I will still be going to see her. And thankful. That being said, I do have to count to 1000 by fractions every time more today than yesterday begins.
    Agree totally

I’d still like to see her do a new jazz album

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I saw three of her shows last week. She was having a blast. Ive never seen her so happy. The audience was loving every second of it. I can’t imagine why she would want to scale it down..It’s perfect as it is: the audience is loving it, she’s loving it, what’s to change? I don’t get it.

Every night is different, yet basically the same. Sometimes she relies more on the help from the background. Then she does other times, one show she barely had any help at all. One she had more help. WDAF? Really, at 80, WGAFF? She alive and well and knocking it out of the park. to not be grateful just for that, let alone, amazed, is an absolute mystery to me. As I posted above, she sounded great without any help whatsoever at that point in the show, every night. She’s making her audience very very happy, and that her job, and she excels at it. As well or better than anyone else. I am thankful, when I consider that Mary and Florence are gone, and so many others are, that one of the brightest lights in the firmament is still shining to such a degree. If she were to come out on stage, sit in a chair, take questions, and or talk to the audience, and maybe sing a few songs, with gray hair no teeth and hammertoes so bad, no shoes would fit, I would still go see her. I would still be amazed That 60 years after I bought the baby love 45, I will still be going to see her. And thankful. That being said, I do have to count to 1000 by fractions every time more today than yesterday begins.
    I think it goes without saying that fans are delighted she is happy, healthy and still performing. You can add grateful to that.
    With “Don’t Explain” often singled out as being the highlight of the show in most reviews, it would be extra nice to have an extended LSTB segment as she still sounds at her best when performing this genre of music.
    The jazz songs in particular really highlight what she is still capable of, being a shame they are so limited. It probably wouldn’t thrill the crowd that attend to hear her sing “Baby Love” every night, but many fans consider it a risk she might hopefully consider worth taking.
    Another one-off ‘Stolen Moments’ type show would be fabulous at this point in her career and could also be used as her next album.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-22-2023 at 05:36 AM.