[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross and I Want You Back

let's assume there wasn't a Jackson 5. would I Want You Back have been a good song and, more importantly, a good new sound for DR? I don't think songs like ABC would have been a fit lyrically - they were too teeny bopper and written specifically for the youthful J5.

but this fresh, funkier pop sound - would it have been a fit for Diana? i think it was too light weight for Martha. her version of IWYB and the song Bless You are good but i think she needed something with more oomph to fit her heavier, soulful vocals.

Since it was originally planned for Gladys Knight, I'd like to see what she would have done with it. I actually enjoy Martha's version more than the J5's.

I like Diana's version of it on her 1977 live album but I'm not sure how I would feel about a 1969 version by the Supremes.

Considering the original working title was "I Wanna Be Free," I would imagine the song would have had a different story and lyric had it been done by Gladys or Diana.

David Ruffin did a great job with it.

I think Diana would have been great on a lot of the J5 stuff that wasn't lyrically childish. I always wished she had recorded versions of "I'll Be There", "Never Can Say Goodbye", "Looking Through the Windows" and MJ's "I Wanna Be Where You Are".

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    David Ruffin did a great job with it.
    I prefer David's version over the Jacksons. To me it's the superior version because of David's passionate vocal and the Funk Brothers smoke the LA musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think Diana would have been great on a lot of the J5 stuff that wasn't lyrically childish. I always wished she had recorded versions of "I'll Be There", "Never Can Say Goodbye", "Looking Through the Windows" and MJ's "I Wanna Be Where You Are".
    I really like Diana's version of GOT TO BE THERE.

given that Deke was part of the Corporation and then also did the EIE album, i wonder if her vocals would have been more "EIE" in their sound and approach. i don't know the technical wording but her voice is just different on My Place and the EIE tracks verses the A&S material. it's brighter, a bit more piercing. of course on a lot of the tunes she's in a higher register than on tunes like I Wouldn't Change or You're All I Need.

but i do think the general pop sound quality of tunes like I Want You Back could have worked for her. even songs like ABC or The Love You Save [[assuming totally different lyrics) could have worked. the more "mature" J5 songs definitely could have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I really like Diana's version of GOT TO BE THERE.
    So do I.

"Maybe Tomorrow" is another one I would love for her to have tackled.

So do I.

"Maybe Tomorrow" is another one I would love for her to have tackled.
    When I first heard the opening lines of MAYBE TOMORROW, I actually thought it was Diana.

really love The Jackson 5 remixed version "I Want you Back" and loved hearing Diana's take on it but the original is so good , can't imagine anyone doing better!

sorry I am a bit bias and please dont attack but I think all those songs had Diana in mind and she would have done an excellent job with them. Especially I think I want You Back is an awesome Supreme or Ross song.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    sorry I am a bit bias and please dont attack but I think all those songs had Diana in mind and she would have done an excellent job with them. Especially I think I want You Back is an awesome Supreme or Ross song.
    No attack Cap, but I disagree. I think if those songs were conceived with Diana in mind, she would have gotten them. If it's indeed true that Gladys was the intended target of "I Want You Back", I'd think that the J5 lucked up on it. When the group hit and hit big, those subsequent singles were more than likely conceived specifically for them because now they were The Supremes of the 1970s Motown, the group that had to have nothing but hits. Just my thoughts. I'd be interested in knowing if indeed any of those singles had other intended targets first.

None of the Jackson 5 songs had Miss Ross in mind. I Want You Back was gonna be I'm Gonna Be Free and I'm told the music was very different too then from what eventually came out as well. Everything got revamped to a J5 song and the rest is music history. Only Deke Richards of the Corporation worked with Diana afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    None of the Jackson 5 songs had Miss Ross in mind. I Want You Back was gonna be I'm Gonna Be Free and I'm told the music was very different too then from what eventually came out as well. Everything got revamped to a J5 song and the rest is music history. Only Deke Richards of the Corporation worked with Diana afterwards.
    Pleased to hear it midnight. I personally don’t consider any of the J5 hits as being a good fit for Diana’s voice. I find her version of “Got To Be There” quite pedestrian, lacking the youthful innocence and vitality that MJ brings to the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Pleased to hear it midnight. I personally don’t consider any of the J5 hits as being a good fit for Diana’s voice. I find her version of “Got To Be There” quite pedestrian, lacking the youthful innocence and vitality that MJ brings to the song.
    Same, Ollie. Diana had no business covering MJ to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Same, Ollie. Diana had no business covering MJ to begin with.
    Some songs just work better on a particular singer, though i think MJ might have done a good job in covering certain Diana songs.

Okay, now I will never begrudge anyone from holding whatever opinion they have about music, but I have to admit this one leaves me scratching my head. Diana Ross is one of the great interpreters of song [[IMO...but it's also a fact). The idea that there is any singer whom she should never have covered is strange to me. The idea that of all singers, Michael Jackson [[whom I love, for the record) is the one she should never have touched, is musical insanity. Lol

Not only can I easily hear the influence of Diana Ross on young MJ's vocals, I've been listening to Diana Ross cuts and had people remark that she sounded like MJ. [[At which point I always have to correct them and say he sounds like her.)

Diana could have handled "I'll Be There", "Never Can Say Goodbye" [[which Jean easily handled), "Maybe Tomorrow", "Looking Through the Windows", "I Wanna Be Where You Are"...hell, she could have sung "Ben" and killed it. [[For the record I don't even want to hear Michael singing "Ben", so I'm not suggesting Diana should have done it. Gosh how I hate that song!)

I thought she did a very good job with "Got To Be There". She didn't try to copy MJ's version. She sounds beautiful. The lady covered Aretha and got a Grammy nod for it. MJ is no Aretha, but he is the one Diana should have left alone? I don't get that one. Lol

Just to reiterate what I mentioned earlier didn't Martha Reeves mention that some if not most of the songs on her last album with the Vandellas have Diana Ross name on them and wasn't it Syreeta who also made a similar comment. Just knowing the Corporation and Gordy and how they worked back then I can see them thinking try it on Diana first. Diana could have not liked some of the songs that was put before her as well. Just saying.

Okay, now I will never begrudge anyone from holding whatever opinion they have about music, but I have to admit this one leaves me scratching my head. Diana Ross is one of the great interpreters of song [[IMO...but it's also a fact). The idea that there is any singer whom she should never have covered is strange to me. The idea that of all singers, Michael Jackson [[whom I love, for the record) is the one she should never have touched, is musical insanity. Lol

Not only can I easily hear the influence of Diana Ross on young MJ's vocals, I've been listening to Diana Ross cuts and had people remark that she sounded like MJ. [[At which point I always have to correct them and say he sounds like her.)

Diana could have handled "I'll Be There", "Never Can Say Goodbye" [[which Jean easily handled), "Maybe Tomorrow", "Looking Through the Windows", "I Wanna Be Where You Are"...hell, she could have sung "Ben" and killed it. [[For the record I don't even want to hear Michael singing "Ben", so I'm not suggesting Diana should have done it. Gosh how I hate that song!)

I thought she did a very good job with "Got To Be There". She didn't try to copy MJ's version. She sounds beautiful. The lady covered Aretha and got a Grammy nod for it. MJ is no Aretha, but he is the one Diana should have left alone? I don't get that one. Lol
    I know, right?! MJ was a DR disciple, even after he became King of Pop. He was heavily influenced by her, especially her style and music. [Is she then the Queen Mother of Pop?]

I would love if she had interpreted I'll Be There, Never Can Say Goodbye, Looking Through the Windows and even Ben. I do like the song, but I love MJ's passionate vocal.

I really liked DR's interpretation of Got To Be There. It was, after all, a part of To The Baby. Like her interpretation of First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, which was sung as a lullaby, it was all about a mother's love.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 10-09-2023 at 09:28 AM.

Her version of YOU ARE NOT ALONE is nice as well.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I really don't consider Diana’s version of “I’ll Be There” anywhere near as good as MJ’s or that J5 songs would have sounded great on her. It’s MJ’s childlike, youthful exuberance that makes those songs what they are, something that can’t be replicated by a woman in her twenties no matter how similar the voices.
    I happen to think “Ben” a beautiful song, but again can’t envisage Diana singing it. “Never Can Say Goodbye” being an obvious exception.

Just to reiterate what I mentioned earlier didn't Martha Reeves mention that some if not most of the songs on her last album with the Vandellas have Diana Ross name on them and wasn't it Syreeta who also made a similar comment. Just knowing the Corporation and Gordy and how they worked back then I can see them thinking try it on Diana first. Diana could have not liked some of the songs that was put before her as well. Just saying.
    Martha has made that claim and it's probably true. We know that songs would be written, tracks completed and the vocals assigned to various artists only to be reassigned, for whatever reason. Martha's name is also on some tapes that ended up being recorded on someone else. They all are.

When it came to the Jackson 5, they were a priority act. So if anything, there may have been times when something was written and it was said "Try it on the J5" because they were that hot. Let's be real, single for single, the J5 were hotter than Diana. If the Corporation were interested in producing hits for Diana Ross they would have. She was assigned to Bones Howe and then to Ashford and Simpson. The Corporation focused on the J5 and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I know, right?! MJ was a DR disciple, even after he became King of Pop. He was heavily influenced by her, especially her style and music. [Is she then the Queen Mother of Pop?]

I would love if she had interpreted I'll Be There, Never Can Say Goodbye, Looking Through the Windows and even Ben. I do like the song, but I love MJ's passionate vocal.

I really liked DR's interpretation of Got To Be There. It was, after all, a part of To The Baby. Like her interpretation of First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, which was sung as a lullaby, it was all about a mother's love.
    Agree that it's hard to compare the two versions of "Got To Be There", because one was clearly produced as a single, while the other was, in effect, a lullaby. [[For the record, my favorite version of "Got To Be There" is Chaka Khan's. She wore that out!)

Yes, Diana Ross is perhaps the Queen Godmother of Pop. Queen Mother of Pop has to be the beautiful Katherine Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Her version of YOU ARE NOT ALONE is nice as well.
    Agreed. Also when she and MJ duetted on "Rock With You", Diana sounded like the song could have also been made for her.

Agreed. A lot of MJ’s 80’s and 90’s output would have been a great fit for Diana.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 10-09-2023 at 03:22 PM.

the J5 material is very different from later MJ material. as he really expanded into his solo career, he developed a very, very unique and particular style. many of his hits focus on a rapid-fire lyric, often with a limited melody line. there are a lot of vocal tricks and effects. there's a blurring of the words to create more of a sound rather than a story. [[and i'll readily admit that i have only a handful of MJ records and so this isn't meant to be an analysis of EVERY tune he recorded but a generalization).

since her early Sup songs, Diana has focused on lyric, interpretation, and melody. sometimes when live, she focused on vocal tricks like her hiccup era around TCB. but generally, whether as a sup or solo, her hits have relied on strong melodies that allow her to dig into the lyrics and meanings. sure LH or Upside Down are more texture than story.

J5 tunes were much more about melodies than MJ's solo material. so i think Diana could have definitely worked with much of the J material but when you take a very "MJ solo" approach to Diana like Eaten Alive, it doesn't work. Muscles is a weird situation. the lyrics are nearly undecipherable, it's so not like anything in her discography. but hey - it's a hot sounding record and while you can't really understand every lyric, you are able to get an overall idea of what she's talking about. the lyrics are [[if you read them) rather steamy and so the overall sound of the record is steamy and misty.

Agreed. A lot of MJ’s 80’s and 90’s output would have been a great fit for Diana.
    i think his more love songs/ballads would have worked. Man In The Mirror. but Bad, Beat It, billie jean [[never mind the lyrics wouldn't have made sense) and others are just not a fit IMO

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think his more love songs/ballads would have worked. Man In The Mirror. but Bad, Beat It, billie jean [[never mind the lyrics wouldn't have made sense) and others are just not a fit IMO
    Probably more the ballads, although i think “Rock With You” would have been a perfect fit for her. Songs such as “Human Nature”, “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” and even the rather icky “Heal The World” might have been good.

Probably more the ballads, although i think “Rock With You” would have been a perfect fit for her. Songs such as “Human Nature”, “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” and even the rather icky “Heal The World” might have been good.
    oh that's a good call - RWY definitely could have worked. maybe the better way to describe it is the songs that have 1,000 words per second or didn't have as much melodic variance wouldn't have worked as well. those just happen to be the songs i usually think of first when thinking of MJ