[REMOVE ADS]

12" official releases

it's surprising how few of these Motown actually released on DR. I'd also say it's odd the Supremes didn't have any, although their internal problems could have been a factor. but then again MW got a Red Hot release

i also think it's odd that the 12" releases were often just the same as the album cut - like on Love Hangover or Don't Leave Me This Way for Thelma. they didn't invest the time in remixing the track for a true dance/dj version

i don't have my books in front of me but i think the DR releases were:

Love Hangover
    You're love is so good for me
    What you gave me
    Lovin, Livin, Givin
    The Boss
    No One Gets the Prize/The Boss

oddly enough i don't think they ever released an official 12" single for any of the chic songs. and did they do one for One Love In My Lifetime?

US 12"s:
    https://www.45worlds.com/12single/label/motown-us

I don't think Motown got into 12"s until late 1976. I'm not sure what month so LOVE HANGOVER, ONE LOVE..., or the last few Supremes releases probably missed out.

I don't believe there was a 12" for LOVIN, LIVIN', and GIVIN'. But it was released as the b-side to the 12" of THE BOSS.

In addition to what you listed above, there was also a 12" for POPS, WE LOVE YOU, and also DIANA ROSS AND THE SUPREMES' MEDLEY OF HITS.

The 12" versions of YLISGFM, WYGM, POPS, and THE BOSS were remixes, not just the album versions.

And yes, it was strange that UPSIDE DOWN and I'M COMING OUT did not get 12" releases, at least not in the US. I remember a local record store selling an overseas pressing.

Note: There were some US promo 12"s for IT'S MY HOUSE and I'M COMING OUT.
    Last edited by reese; 09-12-2023 at 02:30 PM.

based on the expanded editions, unreleased tracks on Anthologies, etc, it looks like they prepared full 12" versions by albums:

The Boss
    The Boss, No One Gets the Prize, It's My House, I Ain't Been Licked and then the mashup of Boss/Prize

Ross
    What you gave me, LLG - there's a very interesting article on Wikipedia of all the version of this song!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_[[1978_album)

diana 80
    none

BIM - You're love is so good for me

DR 76 - Love hangover. lots of versions of this song too. there was that dj mix of LH that i think was included on Disc 2 of the diana 80 EE. Plus a few versions of One Love.

Supremes -

Bend a little [[unreleased)
    HMM extended version unreleased,
    Love I never knew - i believe the booklet for the LYG set said there was something like 17 chorus repeats or something. that the song itself could have been extended considerably for a possible 12"
    Wheel - the unedited version on LYG does have an extended instrumental break. possibly could have been reworked into a longer overall track
    Walking - on Bandstand and Soul Train they did an alt version of the tune that has that "walk on! walk on!" backing vocal portion. and then the version on GH&RC is totally different from the album version. so there was clearly material to do an extended version if they wished

There was a 12'' of You keep me hanging on released on the original Tamla Motown UK label
    Can't remember the year but it had picture sleeve showing Cindy not Florence

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    There was a 12'' of You keep me hanging on released on the original Tamla Motown UK label
    Can't remember the year but it had picture sleeve showing Cindy not Florence
    That was in 1986, around the time of the 25TH ANNIVERSARY album, I believe. I remember reading that Mary and Cindy were upset over Flo not being pictured.

The one release that Motown slept on was " You Were The One". What a missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    The one release that Motown slept on was " You Were The One". What a missed opportunity.
    agreed - it would have been a great cut to do an extended version on. I'd like to have heard what the Hollands would have done for an extended version of Let Yourself Go too

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yipeee!!! You just made my day reese. I've always wanted be able to see all of Motown's 12" releases gathered chronologically and in sequence like this. A dream come true.

thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

and it appears its ok to copy images