[REMOVE ADS]

Sister Rita joins Diana singing 9/8/23

The softness and beauty of Diana’s voice is gone. As she does here and singing Happy Birthday last week, it is sadly gone, and it’s time to hang it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    The softness and beauty of Diana’s voice is gone. As she does here and singing Happy Birthday last week, it is sadly gone, and it’s time to hang it up.
    Perhaps more then any other of her other hits, i think “Reach Out And Touch” is a song she has struggled with vocally for quite sometime.

she still sounds fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    she still sounds fine to me.
    To me too. She performed it at her last Hollywood Bowl concert and it sounded really good.

The backing singers carry the song which is fine for a woman of nearly 80.

There was a story going around in the late 70s that Rita was recording an album for Motown. Not sure what happened with that project but I do remember Rita doing a very small part as "The Lady in Red" in Motown's SCOTT JOPLIN movie.

the best part:

"I feel that I'll never retire, you guys will have to drag me off the stage"

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    the best part:

"I feel that I'll never retire, you guys will have to drag me off the stage"
    There was a time when i thought that was said in jest, though now i’m not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There was a story going around in the late 70s that Rita was recording an album for Motown. Not sure what happened with that project but I do remember Rita doing a very small part as "The Lady in Red" in Motown's SCOTT JOPLIN movie.
    I seem to recall Rita doing some kind of children's song in the 90s. I also read somewhere that she was quoted as saying she didn't sing "Black", she has a real voice, like her sister, or something to that effect. I heard the song she recorded- or was attributed to her- and thought she should have been ashamed of herself for suggesting she did anything like her sister. Was glad to hear her basically acknowledge that in this clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    There was a time when i thought that was said in jest, though now i’m not so sure.
    Honestly I hope she means it. My fingers are still crossed that one of these days she's going to do a show for the art of music rather than the Ross razzle dazzle show, singing songs from the glory days [[and "I Will Survive"). The voice is sometimes iffy on her classics and I think that's largely because she's trying her best to sing them like they were originally recorded. If she focused on jazz and blues, I think she still has very good command of her lower register. But I imagine my fingers will stay crossed long enough to develop arthritis and remain that way.

Rita should have brought a shower with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    It's been gone for years. I think some of us were in denial because she's getting up there in age and yeah we're not gonna sound the same but what I heard a couple years ago when she was at Glastonbury [[I think) was not it, honey. :[[

Diana sounds fine to me and yes Rita recorded an album of children songs and I have it.

Name:  91w1Gyw-pgL._SL1425_.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  95.6 KB Rita Ross and her CD

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It's been gone for years. I think some of us were in denial because she's getting up there in age and yeah we're not gonna sound the same but what I heard a couple years ago when she was at Glastonbury [[I think) was not it, honey. :[[
    Your basing it off of her Glastonbury show? It was said she was Ill for some of those shows in Europe. I saw her after those shows at the Hollywood Bowl and in Sacramento, CA and she sounded fantastic. Everyone in the audience was complimenting how good she still sounded.