[REMOVE ADS]

Kool and the gang at glastonbury

For those who are at Glastonbury[[!) or receive BBC 4, Kool and The Gang performance is on at 10pm tonight, Sunday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0128gm2

spotted mike.....
    i was just goin to post this,hope theres more funky stuff,hollywood swingin,higher plane etc than celebrate,ladies night etc

imo it didnt start too good but it soon got in to the funk,hollywood swingin',funky stuff,jungle boogie,summer madness,open sesame.hour and 20 mins in,they're in the late 70's disco stuff.ladies night,celebrate,joanna,not my cup, but more popular.they are tight.great to see a group that A.can play,B.sound true to the original and C for old blokes the original members never let up.overall brilliant show.

i saw them back in 74/75 at the rainbow,finsbury park [[theres a live album from that,uk only tho')and the califonia ballrooms,dunstable [[twice)

Since JT is gone who is singing leads for them now? Do they still have those dancers I think they got in the way I would rather see the band. When I saw them they had these rap looking dancers with them and it was irritating.
    Steph

i thought that when it started and they were in the way. but these guys were the singers and eventually got into a great show.one of them started a m jackson act,oh no!i nearly switched off 10 minutes in the sound was crap but kool waved to someone and it got sorted, it was starting to be a good show.i take it JT was the guy on ladies night?well the guy that sang lead tonight was good,and a tall guy sang falsetto,again i didnt like his 1st song but he to got better and better,the sax,guitar,trombone,keyboard,trumpet solo's were all brilliant too.even tho' i dont like the ladies night era,i did enjoy it.its great to see quality group and great musicianship

I totally agree with Tamla. They weren't too good at the start, but once they hit Jungle Boogie they were great. Back in the seventies, after Ladies Night, I lost interest in them but you can't deny that songs like that, Get Down On It, Celebration etc are great party songs and just right for the festival crowd. I was surprised at the size of the audience that turned out to see them too bearing in mind I've always considered the Festival as being mainly for the rock audience. Great show and great night for them too.

At the start of their set I was switching back and forth between them and Beyonce [[who was being shown live from Glastonbury at the same time on BBC 2). I'm not a fan but was curious to see her live set and was very impressed by her stage presence and the overall visual appearance of her show. She's obviously been watching people like Prince and other great funk/soul acts! But in the end, Kool won me over full time once they hit the funk!

i really enjoyed their set.....a good mix....i could have done without Joanna...Reggae Dance...but can understand why they did them....wish they had done "Spirit of the Boogie" tho

Cmon guys, they've got to play all their hits and they did... even Summer Madness, which really is one for the Kool aficianados.
    However, what was the point of the Michael jackson, 2 or 3 songs in? And I think they would have managed fine throughout without the falsetto-guy who sang it, although I think the band are being very clever and having someone in for the younger audience.
    the main lead singer I thought was tremendouse, and did all the JT songs justice. And it was great to see the older guys like DT, Clifford Adams and even Michael Ray [[mid-50s?) doin the dancing, and the vocal backgrounds, and the super instrumental solos.
    I thought Clifford looked like he had lost some weight, but was still an enthusiastic showman.
    All in all they put on a great SHOW, sounded good and really entertained