[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Those Special Little Effects

This morning, as I was listening to the Four Tops' "Bernadette" with not only the Andante's "Ahhhhssss" between each section and Levi coming back in with his "Bernadette" after what seemed to be the final 'ahhhh', I began to reflect on those slight little effects/innovations that Motown was adding to some of the output. I am focusing more on the output prior to 1968 or so because after that year, it was not uncommon to find very innovative effects being used such as on the Four Tops' Changing Times lp.

Other innovative effects come to mind:

"Reflections"; Supremes ...with that introduction and those spattered 'beep beeps' throughout the song.

"My Baby Must be a Magician";Marvelettes...using Melvin Franklin's "You are under my power...it is the power of love" along with the swooshing guitar.

"Your Wonderful Sweet Love"; Supremes...Sounds like a spoken voice through an old fashioned megaphone

"Papa Was a Rolling Stone"; Temptations...maybe not the same kind of innovation as the others; however that introduction is a masterpiece!

"Nathan Jones"; Supremes...the phasing effect

Honorable mentioned:
    "Tears of a Clown"; Smokey Robinson & the Miracles...the introduction using an arrangement and instruments that mimic a circus

"Shotgun"; Jr. Walker & the All Stars"...the gun shot

"My Girl"; Temptations...man, that classic introduction and the string arrangement throughout the song

Do any others stand out to you that demonstrate just how creative and innovative the writers and the arrangers at Motown were?

Yes; the guitar intro to The Supremes' "You Keep Me Hanging On". H-D-H said that it was based on the type of sound of a telegraph from an old movie.

The intro to The Miracles' "Mickey's Monkey" is another example of special effects with it's classic intro consisting of various Motown stars [along with The Miracles] kicking off the song after Smokey says "alright now is everybody ready?".

And the intro to The Temptations' "I Can't Get Next To You" is another good example of 'special little effects'. It starts off with a few seconds of a group of people at a party before a voice says "hold it, hold it, listen". Then we get a few seconds of a piano solo before the record kicks off.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 09-10-2023 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes; the guitar intro to The Supremes' "You Keep Me Hanging On". H-D-H said that it was based on the type of sound of a telegraph from an old movie.
    Absolutely! I found myself, in initial post, listing too many Supremes' songs and didn't include that one.

The phasiing effect on "Nathan Jones" and the beeping on "Reflections" was the work of Russ Terrana

The chains used in Martha and the Vandellas "Nowhere to Run".

The fake audience response in the studio version of Rare Earth's "Get Ready".

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    The fake audience response in the studio version of Rare Earth's "Get Ready".
    Funny you mentioned this! My uncle had this album and I played it [[only because I knew it was Motown related). I don't think I was any older than 10 and still I thought there was something about that audience sound but I couldn't put my finger [[or ear) on it! It sounded cool and exciting, yet...

The party noises dubbed onto "How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You)" by Junior Walker and The All Stars.

Also, on that same track, and unless my ears deceive me, the drums are slightly out of phase on the stereo mix, which adds a nice live 'in the room with the band' feel to the track. Best heard in its stereo form IMO.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 09-11-2023 at 05:08 AM.

R. Dean Taylor's "Gotta See Jane" & "Indiana Wants Me" employed sound effects that gave both songs a 'man on the lam' feel. "Jane" features Taylor's voice filtered through a Leslie amplifier, the sound of screeching tires and a harpsicord playing a chord delayed & reversed. "Indiana" begins with police sirens and ends with cops talking through their megaphones and gun shots.

The classical style intro to The Isley's "Behind A Painted Smile" and also the solo drum roll at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Funny you mentioned this! My uncle had this album and I played it [[only because I knew it was Motown related). I don't think I was any older than 10 and still I thought there was something about that audience sound but I couldn't put my finger [[or ear) on it! It sounded cool and exciting, yet...
    Yeah, Waiting - The audience sounded real, but Pete Rivera and the guys' performance was too perfect to be a live-on-stage performance. It was clearly an audience-enhanced studio recording, but it sure sounds good, doesn't it! The "audience" effects are in all the right places!

The new Supremes' "Bridge Over Troubled Water" which contains the sound of a horn on a big ship.

The U.S. Army-type trumpet used on the intro of Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' "Forget Me Not".

The dooms-day angels' voices on the ending of Marvin Gaye's "Mercy Mercy Me [[The Ecology)".

The dooms-day angels' voices on the ending of Marvin Gaye's "Mercy Mercy Me [[The Ecology)".
    Oh, yes!!!

The sound of seagulls and ocean waves lapping at the shore on the intro of Stevie Wonder's "Castles In The Sand".

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Oh, yes!!!
    This is a fun game you thought of, Job! It's amazing how many special effects Motown utilized over the years. I had no idea there were so many.

Foot-stomping on the intro of The Supremes' "Where Did Our Love Go".

The U.S. Army-type trumpet used on the intro of Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' "Forget Me Not".
    Always thought it was trying to imitate Scottish bagpipes.

https://www.google.com/search?client...ATgcUgYQo,st:0
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-11-2023 at 07:11 AM.

The town cryer shouting, "Here ye! Here ye! Here comes the judge! Here comes the judge!" on Shorty Long's "Here Comes The Judge".

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Always thought it was trying to imitate Scottish bagpipes.

https://www.google.com/search?client...ATgcUgYQo,st:0
    You know, mystery, now that I compare both Martha's record and your video, I think Motown was representing both trumpets AND bagpipes.

Tom Clay's "What The World Needs Now".

Weird sounds on DRATS "Forever Came Today".

Shorty Long's "Stranded In The Jungle"

The almost singing like sounds on Lewis Sisters records.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-11-2023 at 07:38 AM.

Party-crowd voices on Jr. Walker's "Hip City [[Pt. 2)".

You know, mystery, now that I compare both Martha's record and your video, I think Motown was representing both trumpets AND bagpipes.
    Always loved it - was a hit here in the UK when re-issued as follow up to the "Jimmy Mack" re-release.

Fake and ANNOYINGLY unrealistic audience whistling and cheering throughout the entire track of David Ruffin's "Superstar [[Remember How You Got Where You Are").

Fake and ANNOYINGLY unrealistic audience whistling and cheering throughout the entire track of David Ruffin's "Superstar [[Remember How You Got Where You Are").
    Absolutely agree - which is why I posted to no-audience version to YouTube.

Always loved it - was a hit here in the UK when re-issued as follow up to the "Jimmy Mack" re-release.
    I know. You guys always seem to get the best of Motown's releases. We at least have "Forget Me Not" on Martha/Vandellas" "Ridin' High" album, but I think it would have sold just as well here as a single. It couldn't have been timed more perfectly considering the Viet Nam War. Every mother, father, sister, brother, and lover could identify with it.

[[I forgot that "Forget Me Not" was released as the 45 B-side to "I Promise To Wait My Love". Still, it should have been promoted as the A-side, as "Promise" didn't do crap on the charts here.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-11-2023 at 08:11 AM.

Pete Rivera's echoplexed vocal intro [and outro] to the single version of Rare Earth's "[I Know] I'm Losing You" is a great example of a special effect used well.

Absolutely agree - which is why I posted to no-audience version to YouTube.
    Are you saying that a non-audience version exists? If there is, I would buy it. The way that fake audience is carrying on, you would have sworn they were at a Beatles show.

Extreme echo used on the lead vocals of The Tempts' "Take A Stroll Through Your Mind" -- all of which is accentuated by a wild, Jimmy Hendrix-type guitar to imply a drug trip.

Sounds of the ocean used on The New Supremes' "'Til The Boat Sails Away" from their "High Energy" album.

I love the intro to Diana & Marvin's You Are Everything. To me it's a swirling and dreamy piece of instrumentation with Diana hitting notes that can give me shivers down my spine.

The intros to Marvin's I Heard It Through The Grapevine and That's The Way Love Is sound a bit "dark and sinister" to me, absolutely classic though LOL.

Plastic Man by the Temptations has a gentle intro then BANG with the brass instruments.

I can add the phasing sound effects behind the Temptations on the mono single version of Psychedelic Shack. It was very effective. It's not as obvious on the stereo mix.

The ticking clock between tracks of the Four Tops Changing Times I can do without.

Also on their excellent Nature Planned It lp, connecting some of the tracks is a turned down echo version of the title track. This just didn't work for me.

The psychedelic mix of the Supremes Come Together is a bit annoying to me as well.

The computer phase used on Nathan Jones was repeated a few months later during the instrumental break on P.J.'s excellent Tender Loving Care single, and was effective again.

Another curious effect was the Temptations "HOLD IT, HOLD IT, LISTEN" which was used a couple times. Don't get that one either

Classical composer Felix Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" being played on the organ & piano intro of Marvin & Tammi's "Sad Wedding" .

Classical composer Felix Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" being played on the organ & piano intro of Marvin & Tammi's "Sad Wedding" .
    Not forgetting the majority of Chris Clark Rides Again

And Miss Ross's kneecaps knocking at the beginning of Some Things

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Are there such things as 'time-out chairs' in the U.K? If so, Mr. Nixon spend a few seconds there for the naughtily clever post.

This is a fun game you thought of, Job! It's amazing how many special effects Motown utilized over the years. I had no idea there were so many.
    Gary...I am loving reading all of the responses and even going back to review/listen to some of those great songs!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Paul, In my initial post, that song did come across as one to add. I am glad I didn't because we would have all missed your eloquent wording regarding Some Things introduction. LOL love it

Paul, In my initial post, that song did come across as one to add. I am glad I didn't because we would have all missed your eloquent wording regarding Some Things introduction. LOL love it
    But the question remains: Were Diana's kneecaps knocking naturally or were Nick & Val on their knees manually manipulating Diana's kneecaps in order to produce the desired effect? And more importantly, how many takes were recorded and is the final effect a cut and paste of several takes? Inquiring Motown minds want to know.

Are you saying that a non-audience version exists? If there is, I would buy it. The way that fake audience is carrying on, you would have sworn they were at a Beatles show.
    Actually, I'm not sure now - because I got confused with "I Just Want To Celebrate" on which the audience noise was horrible - and on which a non-audience version does exist. So I gave you a bum steer.

The seagulls on I Wish It Would Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Oh yes! That's a great one!

No actually an effect per se but I love the panning handclaps at the beginning and end of the stereo version of the Supremes' "Where Did Our Love Go?"
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 09-11-2023 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Of course there's this thunderous alternate vesion:

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Of course there's this thunderous alternate vesion:

Sometimes I wish the YouTube posters would give a little backstory on these things. I'd love to know where this alternate version came from and the story behind it. Plus, none of the commenters seem to even realize the total absence of the seagulls at the beginning. The only thing that seemed to stand out to anyone was that David seemed to be "singing much higher than the original version."

Gary...I am loving reading all of the responses and even going back to review/listen to some of those great songs!
    Yeah, this is fun, Job! At last, a game I'm good at! I'm not done yet. Already got a couple more up my sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Sometimes I wish the YouTube posters would give a little backstory on these things. I'd love to know where this alternate version came from and the story behind it. Plus, none of the commenters seem to even realize the total absence of the seagulls at the beginning. The only thing that seemed to stand out to anyone was that David seemed to be "singing much higher than the original version."
    Holy crap, Waiting! That version is so different from the released version. Horns are in the wrong place; strings aren't where they're supposed to be; David's phrasing is different; and the whole thing is way too wierd. UGH! I couldn't listen to any more than half of the first verse. [[Not real big on alternate versions for the above reasons.)
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-11-2023 at 09:50 PM.

Actually, I'm not sure now - because I got confused with "I Just Want To Celebrate" on which the audience noise was horrible - and on which a non-audience version does exist. So I gave you a bum steer.
    No problem, Mystery. One thing is for sure. David's otherwise HOT version of "Superstar" is nearly ruined by the incessant hollering and screaming.