[REMOVE ADS]

Ed Sheeran Shows How He Won Court Case

Was happy to see this and thought I'd share.

https://youtu.be/NcCKlsTgjeM?si=QuvlTCPPett-lbb7

Thanks for sharing this, marybrewster. Watching this video also left me with a happy feeling. I feel for him and that this lawsuit stole 8 years out of his life. I wouldn't want to be a famous person, especially in this day and age. I was doing some more reading on this case and didn't realize it was Ed Townsend's daughter, Kathryn Townsend Griffin, who was the plaintiff in this case, and not the Gaye family/estate. Ed Townsend co-wrote Let's Get It On. It seems this all started because Ed Sheeran did a mash-up of one of his songs with Let's Get It On at one of his concerts, years ago. From there, I'm sure that Kathryn and her attorney thought that there was money to be made. I was also reading that despite Ed Sheeran having to miss his grandmother's funeral due to the court proceedings, he went up to Kathryn, after the judge had ruled in his favour, and he hugged her. It was reported that they had a kind exchange. She was said to be smiling, while stating that she was glad it was all over and that "we can be friends". I will keep my thoughts to myself, in regards to the type of person I think she is...but he certainly sounds like a classy guy.

Source:
    https://apnews.com/article/ed-sheera...a943659aeb132e

Except no one’s saying his song sounds like a hundred other songs . They’re saying that it sounds VERY MUCH like one very particular extremely famous one . There’s more to it than just the chord progression, and to point out they have altogether different lyrics is laughable and was never the issue . He’s brazen in his obvious songwriting technique but not that brazen.

To brag about one’s own genius at songwriting to be claiming in essence, “Actually it’s Marvin Gaye’s song that sounds a lot like mine”….. well it takes a lot of nerve that’s for sure.