[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick rules out use of AI to create music in new interview

From The Daily Mail.com-

Music legend Dionne Warwick has said that she would never get involved with AI music – not even to duet with late friends Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson.
    The 82-year-old spoke exclusively to DailyMail.com to reveal that she would not consider using new technologies to bring back people from the past for new tracks.
    In doing so, she appeared to dismiss Paul McCartney's recent promise to create 'the final Beatles record,' complete with vocals by John Lennon.
    Sir Paul explained how artificial-intelligence technology had been used to 'extricate' Lennon's voice from a 1978 demo so that he could complete the song, which will be released later this year.

Speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com, Dionne was asked if she would ever use AI technologies to duet with old pals, to which she simply replied: 'No. I wouldn't.'
    She continued: 'The first time I saw that even approached was so beautifully done with Natalie Cole and her dad.'
    When asked about AI in reference to the upcoming computerized Beatles hit, Dionne appeared to dismiss the track, saying: 'I don't think anything has been done since that compared to that.'
    Turning her attentions to her current professional projects, Dionne said: 'I have a biography out now. It is called Don't Make Me Over. It was first aired on CNN.
    'And it was so well received, won many honors already at film festivals. I'm not even looking at a film on Dionne Warwick. If it happens, it's wonderful...
    'I am happy with my biography, the film was well received and as I said, it won many, many honors, which I'm thrilled about and it's very good. It really is. Its great if I say so myself.'
    The singing sensation admitted the viewers learned a lot from the 2021 documentary, adding: 'Everybody thinks they know everything I did or everything I do but they found out a lot about Dionne Warwick and that's something that I wanted to happen.
    'I wanted to quell the thought of people assuming and get the real story directly from the horse.'

Dionne, who recently released a song titled New Beginning, also discussed her upcoming honor at the Kennedy Center which she previously joked was 'long overdue.'
    She said: 'I did say that tongue in cheek. But I still think that after 60 years of music, it should have been recognized somewhere. Don't you think?
    'But it is nice to be honored and I have a saying, "It happens when it's supposed to."'
    Dionne was later asked when she knew she had such a gift, to which she responded: 'My mommy told me, I think I must have been eight or nine years old and I was singing.
    'Somebody said, "Oh, she sure can sing pretty good."
    'My mother said I came out singing. And she scooted me out. I let out a note. There you go. So I've been singing all my life.'

Interesting that now that her CNN documentary has aired, Dionne says that she is not as interested in a film on her life. It wasn't that long ago that Teyana Taylor seemed set to portray her. Before that, it was Letoya Luckett. That's show biz, I guess.

And no mention of the new CD that I thought was coming out this fall? Title is supposed to be Songs of Inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    And no mention of the new CD that I thought was coming out this fall? Title is supposed to be Songs of Inspiration.
    I forgot about that although I wouldn't be surprised if it is on the way. Dionne is one of the few who manages to get an album/cd out fairly regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Interesting that now that her CNN documentary has aired, Dionne says that she is not as interested in a film on her life. It wasn't that long ago that Teyana Taylor seemed set to portray her. Before that, it was Letoya Luckett. That's show biz, I guess.
    Good catch on that, Reese, as I probably would have completely missed that part where she said, "I'm not even looking at a film on Dionne Warwick..." I wonder if there was never anything formally on the table to begin with, and that perhaps it was a case of her just putting the word out there, trying to garner some interest from Netflix, etc., as a way to try and make something happen? It's very odd.

I'm glad she won't resort to using AI. I find the whole thing really freaky and inauthentic. I've heard a lot of the ones people have posted on YouTube of Whitney singing other artists' songs. It's so weird. If that's the way the music industry is heading, I don't want any part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

I'm glad she won't resort to using AI. I find the whole thing really freaky and inauthentic. I've heard a lot of the ones people have posted on YouTube of Whitney singing other artists' songs. It's so weird. If that's the way the music industry is heading, I don't want any part of that.
    I agree with her in that the Natalie Cole duet with her dad was done very well. But when I started seeing other performers using old tapes to duet with deceased stars, I thought it was too much.

Recently I saw an AI YouTube video of Aretha and Whitney dueting on CRY LIKE A BABY, a song I don't believe Whitney even recorded. It was rather weird. Looking at some of the comments, I don't think some of the viewers knew it wasn't genuine.
    Last edited by reese; 09-09-2023 at 10:13 AM.