[REMOVE ADS]

Interesting list. I'm surprised at all the Christmas tracks and early tracks.

Over a billion streams. And yet the royalties are only about four million which has to be split with the members of the group.

Used to be that artists used to tour to promote their latest record, which is where the money was.

Now they make a recording and promote it to help fill the seats of their concerts, where the money is with top ticket prices and overpriced merchandise

Milven, why do you think the royalties are $4 m. Are you just doing some rough calculating ?

If they are or were, I would suspect those royalties are now a few thousand dollars a year.

Thoughts?

Keep in mind that streams for releases credited to Diana Ross & the Supremes are tracked separately from The Supremes on Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Milven, why do you think the royalties are $4 m. Are you just doing some rough calculating ?

If they are or were, I would suspect those royalties are now a few thousand dollars a year.

Thoughts?
    The Spotify link you provided says they sold about a billion records. Spotify pays an average of one third of a cent so that comes to four million. But your link does not show what the time period is. But I just noticed it shows daily streams as about half a million. So using that figure, annual royalties are about half a million dollars. Actually, if i calculated that right, half a million a year isnt so bad. Ill take it

just found a royalty calculator here

https://www.musicgateway.com/royalties-calculator

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The Spotify link you provided says they sold about a billion records. Spotify pays an average of one third of a cent so that comes to four million. But your link does not show what the time period is. But I just noticed it shows daily streams as about half a million. So using that figure, annual royalties are about half a million dollars. Actually, if i calculated that right, half a million a year isnt so bad. Ill take it

Good work - I hope you are right

Interesting to see what songs made top ten and these streaming numbers.
    Happy to see two of Diana's recent songs doing well here

I'm really pleased to see Stoned Love so high up. I'm old enough to remember it being released and in the UK it was being played everywhere, radio, discos and so on. The old Motown magic but in the 70s. Great song, great times.

Does the artist get any royalties, or only the song writer?
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 09-12-2023 at 08:37 AM.

They both get some but so does the publishing company

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Keep in mind that streams for releases credited to Diana Ross & the Supremes are tracked separately from The Supremes on Spotify.
    Which we can't find on Kworb cause DRATS don't have many monthly listeners. I don't know why they did that! They're not two different groups.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Billion streams are not the same as "records".