[REMOVE ADS]

Tony Spade - "What's Gwyne On?"

Berry Gordy's pre-Motown history is pretty fascinating. To my ears, songs he wrote in conjunction with Tyran Carlo/Roquel Davis seem quite commercial - and better than a lot of the songs he wrote in the very early days of Motown.

In fact I will also include within that songs composed as a threesome with his sister as well - a Gordy-Davis-Gordy no less, preceding that other even greater Motown threesome. Their productions too are enjoyable.

Nothing seems to be simple where Berry Gordy is concerned though and there seem to be some copyright shenanigans going on here as well [[we know that Barrett Strong was removed twice as co-writer of "Money").

This is a song written by B Gordy and R Carlo and on 45 Cat there's a lot more information about the record, including a photo of Tony Spade. Publishing of "What's Gwyne On?" was by Lion Publishing Co [[?). And - isn't there a certain irony about that title?

Look on 45Cat
    https://www.45cat.com/record/nc538218us

And here's the song from 1958 .....
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-07-2023 at 03:55 PM.

OOO, I like it. Berry wasBAADass! Oh yes, thats Bac kbeat out of Houston, Texas. Would love to know the story.