[REMOVE ADS]

leslie Uggams - Dionne Warwick - Sonday

It's amazing what you can discover online when you head down a rabbit hole!

I found a 1972 album by Leslie Uggams that was produced by Dionne Warwick! I had no idea that Dionne had produced anything on other artists, and I never heard of this album - Try To See It My Way. The tracks are pretty good, and you can hear Dionne singing background on some of them. It was released on Sonday Records, which I have never heard of. Does anyone have any background on this recording or Sonday Records? Such an interesting releases 3 years before Leslie's Motown release.

Sonday Records was Dionne's label, formed in 1970 and distributed by Scepter. When she left Scepter, distribution was switched to Janus.

Other acts on the label included the Constellations and the Gentlemen Four.

Re Leslie, she and Dionne have been close friends for years and I remember seeing a photo of them promoting the album on David Frost's tv show. Unfortunately, none of Sonday's releases were successful and the company was shut down.

Note: The actual label on Sonday's product featured a photo of Dionne's son David.
    Last edited by reese; 09-06-2023 at 08:32 AM.

Wow! Thanks for the info on this, Thommg and Reese! I had no idea. I will have to check out this album.

https://www.discogs.com/release/3560...-See-It-My-Way

Never saw this album.

Tap on album image for more images, including record label.

Carlo, I have sent you an email. I hope your email hasn't changed since 2021!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    https://www.discogs.com/release/3560...-See-It-My-Way

Never saw this album.

Tap on album image for more images, including record label.
    I have this album but haven't played it since the day that I bought it.

It is interesting to see that Dionne herself recorded some of the songs on it, like OH LORD WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME, LOVING YOU IS SWEETER THAN EVER, THE WEIGHT, and THE LOVE OF MY MAN.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Carlo, I have sent you an email. I hope your email hasn't changed since 2021!
    Received with many thanks, Thom!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I have this album but haven't played it since the day that I bought it.

It is interesting to see that Dionne herself recorded some of the songs on it, like OH LORD WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME, LOVING YOU IS SWEETER THAN EVER, THE WEIGHT, and THE LOVE OF MY MAN.
    I caught that, too. Seems like Dionne was revisiting her Soulful ​album sessions, in large part.

I owned this album once but sold it many moons ago. I remember it as being pretty good but the Motown album was better. She also had many others from her younger days.

Her Sonday 45 "Love Is A Good Foundation" was popular with UK soulies ...
    What's her version of "River Deep Mountain High" like *she cut the song for Atlantic in the 60's)

i found this on Youtube. Interesting to start with the chorus!

https://youtu.be/-eZz0EZdyTY

It actually has some lovely vocals by Leslie. She is more restrained than on her other recordings which is good because she is a musical theater performer not really a recording artist. The track "Try To See It My Way" is a very breezy and Dionne-esque track, Dionne is featured prominently on harmony vocals. "Je Vous Aime Oui Je Fais" is a Donny Hathaway track that is sung on English and it is my favorite on this album.