[REMOVE ADS]

"You're All I Need to Get By" Diana Ross

A great song and a cover version that in my opinion is more enjoyable than the Tammi and Marvin original. Awesome lyrics by Ashford and Simpson. Nick's vocals are soulful too. My favorite verse:

You're All the Joy
    Under the Sun
    Wrapped Into One

Motown Gold

I love this version...and im sure had ANMHE been a Marvin and Tammi cover it would have been a good candidate for single release.

I like DR's version best, too....I also love Lynda Lawrence's Motorcity solo IF THIS WORLD WERE MINE...while we are on the subject of a former Supreme TT/MG cover...

M&T win every time!

Marvin and Tammi's is so iconic, I don't think anyone can touch the original. The spoken intro is cheesy and adds nothing.

Who's on background? Andantes?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Marvin and Tammi's is so iconic, I don't think anyone can touch the original. The spoken intro is cheesy and adds nothing.

Who's on background? Andantes?
    Sounds like Nick and Val, probably with Joshie Armstead.

Wow! Just noticed that Marvin's and Tammi's version has "eagle's nest" and Diana's version has "robin's nest". "sparrow's nest" is next. Ha! Ha! Ha!

It's a nice album track. For me the debut album is one in which it starts out fine and pleasant, but then from Ain't No Mountain High Enough to the side 2 closer Dark Side of the World, it becomes an outstanding epic album and listening experience.

I was never fond of Diana’s version of this song. I also find the background vocals jarring and off.

For me, Diana's version is good for an album track, however, Marvin and Tammi's version is simply beyond superb in every way.

Marvin & Tammi's is/was meant to be a glorious single and I've loved it for that. I liked Diana's album version from first listen since it so obviously belongs there. I listen to it more often.

I always think of them as two separate songs being how totally different the arrangements are to each other. The Marvin and Tammi original being upbeat and joyous, while Diana’s version is slow, sophisticated and sultry.
    I love both equally.

Diana’s version is wonderful. Her lyrical work is always so wonderful. But the duet aspect of the original just can’t be beat

Not a bad version, but I don't like it. Only interesting thing they added was the way the song starts. Marvin and Tammi for the win if I pit them against each other. Believe it or not, Aretha's version is my favorite, even over Marvin and Tammi. She took that song and morphed it into something on a whole other level. And then there's Method Man and Mary J's version, which I always loved. Full disclosure: I knew Marvin and Tammi's version and Aretha's version and Meth and Mary's version for years before I heard Diana's. After those, Diana just had a horrible time following those tough acts. Again, not at all a bad version. It just doesn't do anything for me after the versions I was already so familiar with.

I dont see it as a competition...I love both versions...each one brings something different to the table.

What is the last word in the extra lines Diana sings at the beginning of this? Is it "conceive" or "concede"? I've been puzzled about this for years because each word, in a certain context, could work. One website I visited said it was "can see." WHAT???

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    What is the last word in the extra lines Diana sings at the beginning of this? Is it "conceive" or "concede"? I've been puzzled about this for years because each word, in a certain context, could work. One website I visited said it was "can see." WHAT???
    That's deviled me for the past umpteen years, too. My vote goes to "concede," since it's the closest approximate rhyme.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    i’m sure she’s saying concede, but I think it’s a bit of a stretch as far as the lyric goes. Just a bit of a stretch I understand the sentiment but, I remember rolling my eyes a little bit the first time I heard it I’m used to it now.

I liked it a lot when I first heard it, and couldn’t decide if it or these things will keep me loving you would be the third single. Neither seemed very strong, but Back then we were used to three singles sometimes from an album. If anyone had told me, it would be a few months until the next saint God came out, and that a new album would come out before that, and the new single would not be up from that new album. I’ve told them they were crazy. And I still say they were crazy.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 09-04-2023 at 03:39 PM.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-05-2023 at 02:50 AM.