[REMOVE ADS]

Seven historic Detroit Music Landmarks

An interesting compilation of seven historic Detroit music landmarks.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...s/70700453007/

7 must-see historic Detroit music landmarks
    Brian McCollum
    Detroit Free Press

More than a century's worth of Detroit's rich musical heritage can be absorbed at these milestone spots across the city.

1. Hitsville, U.S.A.: The Motown Museum
    Few buildings in the music world are as iconic as the little house where big dreams were born on West Grand Boulevard: In 1959, in this home office and studio, songwriter and entrepreneur Berry Gordy Jr. founded the company that would become Motown Records, eventually home to some of the 20th century’s most enduring artists and hits.

The Motown Museum, founded in the 1980s by Gordy’s sister Esther Gordy Edwards, preserves the musical beehive in its original ‘60s glory, including the famous Studio A where acts such as the Supremes, Stevie Wonder, the Temptations, Marvin Gaye and Four Tops recorded much of their signature work.

The museum, whose campus is undergoing a $65 million expansion, is open for tours Wednesdays through Sundays most weeks. 2648 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit

Motown Records' original headquarters at 2648 West Grand Blvd., Detroit, now the Motown Museum

No mention of the United Sound Studios in this article. Does anyone know what the current status might be? Can it be visited by tourists, etc.

Thanks.
    Last edited by woodward; 09-01-2023 at 03:17 PM.

As far as I know, United Sound was purchased by the Michigan Department of Transportation/MDOT a couple of years ago, and they plan to preserve and move the building one lot north of where it currently is/was - I have no idea if that has been accomplished already or not as I haven't driven past there in a while with the Second St bridge replacement project going on. I don't believe it can be visited by tourists currently, and am unaware of what future plans are for the building as far as 'preservation'. It had opened back up as a studio briefly, but I believe the owners at the time ran into some legal issues and closed it down.