[REMOVE ADS]

"You're Gonna Love My Baby"

This song, as recorded by Barbara McNair, has always been a popular track.
    As the song was co-written by Motown stalwart Ron Miller, I'm amazed it wasn't released on a number of other Motown acts.
    Just who did record a version of the song & was the same backing track as on Barbara's version used ?
    Name:  barbaraMcNair45.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  43.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    This song, as recorded by Barbara McNair, has always been a popular track.
    As the song was co-written by Motown stalwart Ron Miller, I'm amazed it wasn't released on a number of other Motown acts.
    Just who did record a version of the song & was the same backing track as on Barbara's version used ?
    Name:  barbaraMcNair45.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  43.7 KB
    The short answer to that according to paperwork is nobody - which seems bizarre.

This not only drove me "nuts" but also Barbara's Warner Bros issue from 1965 "It Was Never Like This" I couldn't find anything about it either. Warner Bros issued this as part of her back catalogue, the same time as Barbara was with Motown.

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 08-28-2023 at 01:06 PM.

Brenda Holloway performed it live at times and there's a recording on her "Together ..." live CD

Barbara McNair also re-recorded YGLMB for Motorcity.

A lady called Dana Valery also recorded a version for CBS

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Brenda Holloway performed it live at times and there's a recording on her "Together ..." live CD

Barbara McNair also re-recorded YGLMB for Motorcity.

A lady called Dana Valery also recorded a version for CBS
    Mysterysinger, I usually hate cover versions of Motown songs by non-Motown artists, but I've gotta hand it to Dana Valery. Her version of "YGLMB" is exceptionally and surprisingly good!

Dana has a massive NS track ... a Paul Simon [[S&G) song ...

Now there's a name to be reckoned with - Charles Calello - legend with The Four Lovers & The Four Seasons amongst many other credits. He became Musical Director for The Four Seasons and is credited as such on their Motown "Chameleon" album which includes "The Night".

Love the strings on Dana's version...I always thought the strings should have been brought forward on Barbara's version..one of the best Motown tracks ever recorded..and The Supremes are backing singers aswell as the flipside.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Love the strings on Dana's version...I always thought the strings should have been brought forward on Barbara's version..one of the best Motown tracks ever recorded..and The Supremes are backing singers aswell as the flipside.
    This is one that has always puzzled me. By this time, The Supremes were Motown's top act. Why on earth would they still be doing background vocals for other artists? I only suspect that 1.) This track and "The Touch Of Time" may have been assigned to them at one point or 2.) Were in the studio and went in to do it as a request from Berry.

I know Barbara was one of the 'cabaret acts' signed to help mainstream Motown acts get onto the top US supper club circuit. Perhaps the Supremes spent time with her when she was explaining what was required by audiences in such venues. To return the compliment, they sang backing for her on her track [[of course, it may have been an old backing track that they had sung on & Barbara's lead vocals were just added on top).

Barbara McNair co-wrote the song with her own musical director - the highly respected Coleridge-Taylor Perkinson and also Ron Miller so a must for Stein & Van Stock. The B-Side, "The Touch Of Time" was written by the same team minus Barbara McNair.

But here's the DFTMC entry for YGLMB -

You're Gonna Love My Baby [[Coleridge Taylor Perkinson-Ronald Miller-Barbara McNair) published Stein & Van Stock 01-Nov-65

Barbara McNair; recorded Hitsville, completed 04-Nov-65 ; produced by Berry Gordy

15-Nov-65; 45 [[M): Motown M 1087 A [1st pressing]
    1965; 45 [[M): Motown M 1087 A [2nd pressing]

What's puzzling me is - why 2 pressings?

I'd not seen this before, it is quite touching. At first I thought that the mix might have been slighly different but then i listened to the version on TCMS Vol 5.

Last edited by pj1; 09-17-2023 at 10:31 AM.