[REMOVE ADS]

Motown 65 Anniversary

As Tamla records was founded January 12, 1959, then 2024 is its 65th Anniversary. Are there celebrations afoot?

Universal Motown in Japan usually produces the goods don't they? It really doesn't feel like 5 years since we had the "Motown did it first" campaign but it will be next year.

So I'm really hoping for another batch of releases on CD - there'll be the usual re-released titles - bound to be. But within the last 2 anniversary batches we've also been treated to "The Original Spinners", Chuck Jackson "Arrives" and "Going Back To", "Greetings We're The Monitors", Odyssey, Jimmy Ruffin "Top Ten", Amos Milburn "Blues Boss", Earl Van Dyke "That Motown Sound" and "The Earl Of Funk", Brenda Holloway's "Every Little Bit Hurts", Kiki Dee's "Great Expectations", "Shorty Long "Here Comes The Judge" etc etc.

So, would it be "too much to hope for" The Originals "Naturally Together" and "Definitions", Choker Campbell "Hits of The Sixties", San Remo Strings "Hungry For Love" and "Swing", Four Tops "On Broadway" maybe even "Now", Barbara McNair - "Here I Am", "The Real Barbara McNair", Jackie Jackson, Diahann Carroll - what would you want to see?

An Originals Box set/Package similar to the Jr Walker set

A brand new master of the 'A Collection of 16 Big Hits' series from the original album tapes would make a nice box set and/or available individually!

Cheers

Paul

I don't mean to hijack the thread with negativity, but there hasn't been a Motown release in the last few years to speak of. Save for Harry's Marvin Gaye pet projects. If Universal won't even release The Supremes who continually sell and sell out, there's little hope for anything "obscure" like San Remo Strings.

I can agree with that to a large extent but Universal Japan has had a habit of surprising releases especially where anniversaries are concerned. This includes albums previously unavailable on individual CD [[and with proper album artwork). They have been able to release obscurities like Severin Browne, Hearts Of Stone, Odyssey, Nolen & Crossley etc.

One way or another, I believe the San Remo Strings albums may not be too far from official release on CD [[and, yes, I already have the Marginal CD with them on as I do with Choker Campbell's "Hits Of The Sixties").

The Real Barbara McNair has already been released.

https://www.discogs.com/release/8029...own-Collection

If the Supremes were as big a seller as we think then 'Reflections' would have been released years ago! UMe do not seem to be interested in releasing any Motown in any format with the exception of Marvin Gaye for the umpteenth time!

would love to see a legitimate CD release of the "MARY WELLS LIVE" Lp from 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    The Real Barbara McNair has already been released.

https://www.discogs.com/release/8029...own-Collection
    That's "The Ultimate Motown Collection" which includes the tracks from Barbara McNair's "Here I Am", "The Real Barbara McNair" and the previously unreleased "Barbara Sings Smokey" albums. But I'm looking to see the albums released individually on CD with proper artwork.

This is the same as happened with Chuck Jackson - after the release of his Motown Anthology, which contained the tracks from "Arrives" and "Going Back To" - the individual albums were released on CD in 2013.

Similarly the Earl Van Dyke album tracks were on the HIP-O "The Motown Sound - Complete Albums and More" release but later we got "That Motown Sound" and "Earl Of Funk" on individual CDs in 2019.

Again we had Shorty Long's "Here Comes ....The Complete Stereo Albums" on KENT but then also got his "Here Comes The Judge" album on an individual CD in 2019 [[but not yet "The Prime Of").

It's no different really from multiple versions of the same album being released over the years - Supremes "Where Did Our Love Go" being one example. Some folks will collect as many different examples as possible.

Pedantic maybe, but that's collecting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    would love to see a legitimate CD release of the "MARY WELLS LIVE" Lp from 1963.
    I can agree with that as well as the Martha Reeves and The Vandellas Live album.

In regards to the original question, about "celebrations afoot", I might suggest that at the rate they are moving the "official rededication" for the entire Motown complex might end up being in the year 2024. Remember 2024 is only 4 months away. I am looking forward to all the big names and coming to Detroit when the "official rededication" will occur. Nobody has projected a completion date for it. So with that thought in mind as far as celebrations are concerned, hopefully this will be the major celebration for 2024. Fingers crossed.

That would be another good reason to celebrate Motown 65. And for the remaining Motown Alumni get another anniversary celebration in. It's something Motown have done so well over the [[all too fast) years.

You guys have hit the highlights. If I had some to add, it would be the Leslie Uggams album and the Tata Vegas that have not yet been issued on CD.

My wish would be "Jesus Christ`s Greatest Hits" God Squad Featuring Leonard Caston and compact versions of "The Motortown Revue Collection" with all the outtakes and including TM. "Recorded Live At The Fox" and "The Marvin Gaye Collection"

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread with negativity, but there hasn't been a Motown release in the last few years to speak of. Save for Harry's Marvin Gaye pet projects. If Universal won't even release The Supremes who continually sell and sell out, there's little hope for anything "obscure" like San Remo Strings.
    And I agree. The last notable Motown physical reissues were Mary Wilson's Motown Anthology and Stoney & Meatloaf's Everything Under The Sun. And it's also worth noting that the Deluxe Editions of Marvin's Let's Get It On & You're The Man are digital/streaming releases [aside from the vinyl reissue of LGIO to mark it's 50th Anniversary]. The bulk of physical reissues these days are from Rock Music [The Beatles, Beach Boys, The Who, etc.] while Soul Music Era LPs from the '60s are largely considered 'hits plus filler' and are given less consideration. Looks like Universal Music figures they did enough for Motown's Classic Era in the '60s when they had their Hip-O Select label [which issued The Complete Motown Singles Series, The Marvelettes Box Sets, the Deluxe Editions of The Supremes albums and so forth].

But there has to be a Motown 65 celebration doesn't there? Another fling - or has it all been done to the end?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    But there has to be a Motown 65 celebration doesn't there? Another fling - or has it all been done to the end?
    Well, UMe/Motown might put together a package for the streaming services [and maybe a vinyl release as well] to mark the occasion. Don't forget that we can celebrate Motown's Upcoming 65th Anniversary in our own way as well [with posts on our favorite Motown songs, artists, stories, etc.].

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    A brand new master of the 'A Collection of 16 Big Hits' series from the original album tapes would make a nice box set and/or available individually!

Cheers

Paul
    Great idea, Paul! I loved those album covers. At the time, every one of those volumes managed to fill in a missing crucial gap in my Motown collection back in the day. Vols. 5 & 6 were the most thrilling, although the entire series was eagerly anticipated each and every year of the series' existence.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    You guys have hit the highlights. If I had some to add, it would be the Leslie Uggams album and the Tata Vegas that have not yet been issued on CD.
    David, although they're not physical CDs, are you aware that Motown at least provided downloads for all 4 of Tata Vega's Tamla albums? I bought them a few years back, burnt them to CD, created some nice CD covers including a front-cover photo and tracklist for each one, and they turned out pretty decent. They're better than just empty downloads, and they're the next-best thing to an official physical CD release. They also sound great! The albums are as follows:

1) "Full Speed Ahead" [[1976)
    2) "Totally Tata" [[1977)
    3) "Try My Love" [[1978)
    4) "Givin' All My Love" [[1980)

I bought all of mine from Amazon about 6 or 7 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Nothing would make me happier, snakepit, than a Jr. Walker-type CD box set devoted to The Originals' including "Naturally Together", "Definitions", "Game Called Love", and "Communique".

Here's something I'd like to see; DVD/Blu-Rays of Classic Motown. I mean the various live performances from the '60s, Motown's TV Specials [like TCB, On Broadway, the Diana Ross Specials, The Temptations Show, etc.], the Save The Children film and TV/promotional clips featuring Motown Artists.

Oh and I almost forgot, from UMG, "Reflections" Expanded [[but I now understand that this will not be happening at this time).
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-03-2023 at 10:55 AM.

I hate to admit it, but, sadly, I think it's safe to say that Universal Motown has written us off.

I still think Japan will surprise us with some real goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    what jr walker set? I have the 2 CD nothing but soul singles set, is there another?

Jr Walker & All Stars - Nothing But Soul: Singles 1962-1983 - Amazon.com Music

would definitely love an originals box set

I really mis Hip-O Select

I'd love a second set of Motown Sings Motown Treasures

Motown Sings Motown Treasures 1 by Motown Sings Motown Treasures [[2006) Audio CD - Amazon.com Music
    Last edited by Optimal Saint; 09-07-2023 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    what jr walker set? I have the 2 CD nothing but soul singles set, is there another?
    This amazing Junior Walker box set - Walk In The Night [[The Motown 70s Studio Albums)

Label: SoulMusic Records – SMCR5183BX

https://www.discogs.com/release/1387...-Studio-Albums