[REMOVE ADS]

Tammi Terrell "I`ll Turn To Stone"

At the rear of "Complete Motown Singles Vol. 12B." There is page from the Studio Logs that lists this song as being recorded on 22nd July 1967.
    It has never appeared -is it still in the can or have the tapes been lost?
    Also "Heartaches" by the Contours on 1st August 1967.

It’s possible that her version might have been wiped by another version, probably by the Supremes. Or the session could have been called off or she recorded another song instead. Anything could be the case. As of now, it appears that all of Tammi’s recordings have been released and whatever’s left is unfinished or not in good condition to be commercially available.

Maybe it's tucked away on the tape that houses the Dennis Edwards version.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Maybe it's tucked away on the tape that houses the Dennis Edwards version.
    Uh no not there not anywhere overdubbed unfortunately

Mysterysinger the Dennis Edwards version is on "Just A Little Misunderstanding" the Contours and Dennis Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Mysterysinger the Dennis Edwards version is on "Just A Little Misunderstanding" the Contours and Dennis Edwards.
    Yes and I like it - great job. I could imagine Tammi singing to this track more so than to Barbara Randolph's [[was that a West Coast track?). Sad that Tammi's vocal [[if any) seems to have been lost.

Barbara Randolph; recorded L.A., completed by 07-Mar-68 ; produced by Hal Davis

[pressing date unknown] [acetate]; 45 [[M): [no catalogue number]
    01-Sep-03; CD [[M): Spectrum 066 686 2 The Collection [UK]
    From dftmc

If I had to venture an unsolicited guess, I would think that it was most likely that Tammi's vocal to "I'll Turn To Stone" was likely an overdub onto the track used by Dennis Edwards. The recording info/dates for Dennis were as follows:

Produced by Michael Gentile. Track recorded June 14, 1967, assigned to The Contours; lead vocal and background voices recorded June 16, 1967; reassigned as a Dennis Edwards solo recording.

With this track recorded in June 1967 and Tammi's supposed lead vocal being recorded/overdubbed on July 22, 1967, I would think this would've been more likely the case. Sure Tammi could have traveled to record, but I suspect around that time she was doing the bulk of her recording in Detroit rather than Los Angeles and with Hal Davis [Barbara Randolph's track/version]. To be honest, when I hear Barbara's LA work, I often wonder whether they were mostly castoffs from Brenda Holloway--either reassigned from or recorded first [and] possibly unreleased by.

It's sad that we have very likely lost Tammi's version of ITTS [since Paul Nixon is confident that her vocal was overdubbed by someone else]. I know jboy88 mentioned the possibility of TT's vocal having been lost to an overdub by The Supremes, but... The Sups' version was recorded in 1966--not 1967.
    Last edited by danman869; 08-27-2023 at 12:04 PM. Reason: bolded recording info

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    If I had to venture an unsolicited guess, I would think that it was most likely that Tammi's vocal to "I'll Turn To Stone" was likely an overdub onto the track used by Dennis Edwards. The recording info/dates for Dennis were as follows:

Produced by Michael Gentile. Track recorded June 14, 1967, assigned to The Contours; lead vocal and background voices recorded June 16, 1967; reassigned as a Dennis Edwards solo recording.

With this track recorded in June 1967 and Tammi's supposed lead vocal being recorded/overdubbed on July 22, 1967, I would think this would've been more likely the case. Sure Tammi could have traveled to record, but I suspect around that time she was doing the bulk of her recording in Detroit rather than Los Angeles and with Hal Davis [Barbara Randolph's track/version]. To be honest, when I hear Barbara's LA work, I often wonder whether they were mostly castoffs from Brenda Holloway--either reassigned from or recorded first [and] possibly unreleased by.

It's sad that we have very likely lost Tammi's version of ITTS [since Paul Nixon is confident that her vocal was overdubbed by someone else]. I know jboy88 mentioned the possibility of TT's vocal having been lost to an overdub by The Supremes, but... The Sups' version was recorded in 1966--not 1967.
    Actually on further investigation it looks certain Tammi never recorded a lead, there's a backing track and background vocals but no lead

Oh well ....

Dan, Tammi`s version was produced by Brian Holland & Lamont Dozier so it`s not the Dennis Edwards version.

Dan, Tammi`s version was produced by Brian Holland & Lamont Dozier so it`s not the Dennis Edwards version.
    Good to know, Roger! Wish it still existed. Ugh...

HEY! Fitting the pieces of the puzzle. For the OTHER Tammi song produced in the same time frame, here's the dates for "This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You)":

Track recorded July 20, 1967; lead vocal and background voices recorded July 21, 1967.

Seems HDH and Tammi likely worked on "I'll Turn To Stone" on these same dates?

All sounds plausible. Hopefully Paul Nixon will confirm as he notes above that "it looks certain Tammi never recorded a lead, there's a backing track and background vocals but no lead" - so perhaps the backing track for ITTS is on the same tape as TOHOM?

Seems a bit strange that if the recordings were at the same time that she didn`t add her vocal. I see that "This Old Heart.." was not completed until Sept. 14. 1967.
    Both of these songs were a bit unusual as R.Dean Taylor and Sylvia Moy were co writers.
    Perhaps there is a R. Dean Taylor version in the can.

It strikes me that this mid-late 1967 period shows that Eddie Holland had, basically, gone on strike.
    He was pushing for a move, talking to rival companies. No new songs were being written.
    HDH were probably contractually obliged to produce product, so it looks like Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier had ro re-hash old songs to cover this.
    Helpless
    This Old Heart of mine
    Where did you go
    Just one last look
    Take me in your arms [[rock me a little while)
    I'll turn to stone...see above
    I like everything about you
    Come see about me
    Ask any girl
    Can I get a witness
    There are probabally more...any views??
    Last edited by snakepit; 08-28-2023 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Added

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    HEY! Fitting the pieces of the puzzle. For the OTHER Tammi song produced in the same time frame, here's the dates for "This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You)":

Track recorded July 20, 1967; lead vocal and background voices recorded July 21, 1967.

Seems HDH and Tammi likely worked on "I'll Turn To Stone" on these same dates?
    You are correct the two songs sit side by side on the same multi track, TOHOM was afforded a vocal ITTS was not. It's not really that strage and happens quite a lot, just because two songs are together in a session does not automatically mean they would both be vocalised. Stone got a band track and backing vocals by the looks of things. But maybe they ran out of time that day, maybe they took a break for lunch - dinner and never went back to the track. Perhaps they decided they had enough for the LP - we will never know unless someone gets an answer from someone who was there.

They had the tracks prepared beforehand and then ran out of studio time on the day for the vocals - very sad.

DFTMC states "This Old Heart Of Mine" was completed September 14, 1967 - it was exactly a month later that Tammi collapsed on stage. Maybe that's why the vocal was never added to "I'll Turn To Stone". That's even sadder.

I think it was a matter of timing that prevented Tammi from laying down vocals for ITTS. Around this time, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” had taken off and HDH were constantly busy with the Supremes and the Four Tops. So they just never got around to finishing the track before Tammi took ill and HDH left Motown.

Never been able to find the "I'll Turn to Stone" that Roger mentions the same as everone else, however even though its claimed that another one of Tammi's is hard to find: 45 "There Are Things" "45 Motown 1115 Oct-67" .

The 45 was released on Oct 5th 1967, on the 14th of Oct Tammi collapsed on stage of a brain tumour. Motown then recalled the 45. There are copies, but it looks like there are not many?

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 09-21-2023 at 01:01 PM.