[REMOVE ADS]

MSS vs Three Degrees Live

I decided to take a look at a Three Degrees [[Sheila, Valerie, Fayette) live show performance from mid 70s and compare to MSS Live at Montreux. Both doing the Vegas/cabaret thing, but MSS performing with greater fierceness, but Three Degrees certainly have a sheen to their show at this time.

Three Degrees:

MSS:

it might be a simply thing but i think the supremes should have used mic stands more. sure, there are times to take the hand mics and all, it breaks things up and adds variety. but there was too much movement all around. it would sometimes make things too scattered on the stage and when they really got dancing, there would be times where they were literally out of breath.

in the segment of Susaye doing He Aint Heavy, M and Scherrie keep stationary at their mics with just simple choreography, they avoid too much ad libbing and allows susaye to shine.

I do appreciate susaye's abilities and some ad libs, i think it ads to the act but a little goes a long way

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it might be a simply thing but i think the supremes should have used mic stands more. sure, there are times to take the hand mics and all, it breaks things up and adds variety. but there was too much movement all around. it would sometimes make things too scattered on the stage and when they really got dancing, there would be times where they were literally out of breath.

in the segment of Susaye doing He Aint Heavy, M and Scherrie keep stationary at their mics with just simple choreography, they avoid too much ad libbing and allows susaye to shine.

I do appreciate susaye's abilities and some ad libs, i think it ads to the act but a little goes a long way
    That entire show apart from the fabulous Im Gone Let My Heart Do The Walking was a hot mess. Too rushed and made me real jumpy. I did enjoy the Three Degrees and thought there show was real calls and polished.
    Last edited by Roberta75; 08-25-2023 at 02:44 PM.

I'll hand it to the Three Degree's...the live show has much more balance, better harmony and conveys a real group effort.

The Supremes last unit was a mess live...any unit, from '65 on suffered from speed and brass issues live...Flo and Lynda were at times both loud / sharp...Susaye's vocal acrobatics were distracting...with this last unit, its like "OK, I'm over here doing this, you are over there doing that"... there was entirely too much going on at once sometimes, both visually and vocally. [[The Mary Scherrie Cindy unit consistently had the best live harmony)....I noticed during High Energy's intro when they are swooping along, at one point Scherrie is standing on Mary's scarf...that must have been a lot of mic wire to keep untangled at times...

I could only stomach the first five minutes of The Supremes manic behavior. Mary was soooo over-the-top it was exhausting to watch. Did she have no advisors. Was she on drugs? Horrible….

I’m not surprised you would make a dig at Mary. But if you must know, she was breastfeeding during this period, so I doubt she was on anything. Also if I’m correct, this was the show Pedro blackened her eye before they went onstage, hence the heavy eye makeup to cover it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I could only stomach the first five minutes of The Supremes manic behavior. Mary was soooo over-the-top it was exhausting to watch. Did she have no advisors. Was she on drugs? Horrible….

I love the Supremes, but the Three Degrees blew the Supremes out of the water with this show. I even saw this Supreme's show in Ft. Lauderdale right before they went to Montreux. I had no idea that Fayette was given that many leads. The lady could sing! RIP Fayette.

there are great moments in the Sup show but yes, overall it's marred by the manic pace and choreography.

Maybe This Time is a strong moment. Scherrie of course is just a dynamo and the group isn't so helter skelter. so you get some gorgeous harmonies and singing

as i mentioned above, He Ain't Heavy is pretty good. not my fav song for Susaye to solo on but the presentation was pretty good. Susaye is front and center and her vocal acrobatics are appropriate here as it's her spotlight.

i don't mind High Energy and kinda enjoy the scarves lol. i know a lot hate them. but i think its sort of fun. also it keeps 2 of the 3 singers more or less stationary and so while they're still do a lot of movement with the scarves behind susaye, it's not as bad as some other numbers

the hits medley, Walking, opening numbers are too frantic.

One advantage, oddly enough, for the 3 Degrees is because they didn't have as many hits as The Supremes, they could do their hits in full and not in medley format. Perhaps by the mid 70s the Supremes should have just ditched the 60s hits medley and just do a couple of the 60s hits in full, as they did with the re-arranged My World Is Empty Without You?

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I’m not surprised you would make a dig at Mary.
    Gets tiring, don't it?

I think the Supremes would have sounded great singing the Three Degrees hits. Songs such as “Dirty Ole Man”, “Year Of Decision” and “When Will I See You Again” would have been a perfect fit for their voices. After the Floy Joy album, it might have been wise had they continued the trend towards more soulful pop.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I’m not surprised you would make a dig at Mary. But if you must know, she was breastfeeding during this period, so I doubt she was on anything. Also if I’m correct, this was the show Pedro blackened her eye before they went onstage, hence the heavy eye makeup to cover it up.
    Agreed, but I also think Mary had a tendency to overdo it when TV cameras were around, or she was pitching her performance to the live in person audience and forgot that a camera close up can make her facial reactions come across as over the top, or worse, desparate to please and entertain. Even in 2019 she suffered from this problem when she was on Dancing with the Stars and it may have been a factor in her early ouster as she didn't have much a fan base to fall back on, and viewers new to her were put off by her over the top reactions when camera closed in on her so chose not to vote for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Agreed, but I also think Mary had a tendency to overdo it when TV cameras were around, or she was pitching her performance to the live in person audience and forgot that a camera close up can make her facial reactions come across as over the top, or worse, desparate to please and entertain. Even in 2019 she suffered from this problem when she was on Dancing with the Stars and it may have been a factor in her early ouster as she didn't have much a fan base to fall back on, and viewers new to her were put off by her over the top reactions when camera closed in on her so chose not to vote for her.
    that's an interesting POV. in many of the tv clips, she does come across overly animated. like in the Irving Berlin segment on Sullivan, Love The One You're With where she's just doing the choreography so much faster and bolder than J or C. these Scherrie era clips too.

perhaps it is because the distance between audience and stage in a theater is so different that a tv camera.

seems like this came about more with the DRATS era than the DMF one. she always had a sparkling bubby persona on the tv shows. lots of times she did the choreography better than F or C. like on YCHL she really did a sexy wiggle with F on their choreography. and on Tennesse Ernie and Reflections, she just looked sexy as hell and super cool in how she executed the routine. her coy glances down and how she's wiggle a bit as she and C did the shakes and leg routine during the Reflections chorus.

but then it seems like maybe she was trying to compete with the attention diana was getting by moving faster, more facial gestures, etc. there are times when it just doesn't come across natural

The Three Degrees were fantastic. It's a pity they didn't take off the way they should have in the US.

The thing with the 3D vs Supremes [[MSS) is that 3D very much presents themselves as a group. The choreography is tight and the costuming is on point. The song selection, while varied, still focuses on the strengths of the group and seems "current".

MSS is a mEss with three lead singers trying to one up each other; every woman for themselves. I'm sure that's not the case, but a lead and two "backups" worked so well for DMF, DMC, JMC. The stage show is frantic; who do you keep your eyes on? There's 1000 feet of mic cord, the "hits" sound NOTHING like the original recordings, Mary looks sweaty, and the frenzied movements in evening gowns is all too much. And lets's not talk about the dance of the red hanky, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    that's an interesting POV. in many of the tv clips, she does come across overly animated. like in the Irving Berlin segment on Sullivan, Love The One You're With where she's just doing the choreography so much faster and bolder than J or C. these Scherrie era clips too.

perhaps it is because the distance between audience and stage in a theater is so different that a tv camera.

seems like this came about more with the DRATS era than the DMF one. she always had a sparkling bubby persona on the tv shows. lots of times she did the choreography better than F or C. like on YCHL she really did a sexy wiggle with F on their choreography. and on Tennesse Ernie and Reflections, she just looked sexy as hell and super cool in how she executed the routine. her coy glances down and how she's wiggle a bit as she and C did the shakes and leg routine during the Reflections chorus.

but then it seems like maybe she was trying to compete with the attention diana was getting by moving faster, more facial gestures, etc. there are times when it just doesn't come across natural
    For once I agree with you, lol!

Mary, especially in the 70's and into the 80s, is JUST TOO MUCH. Look at the Smokey Robinson Special or any of the Flip Wilson skits. Her laughter is over the top; extra animated. In many of the MSC and MSS clips/concerts, it's like she's taking over the personas of Florence AND Diana; trying to be three women at once. And there's a performance on a morning show in the early 80's where Mary comes across as ditzy; running out of breath, talking foolishly during the interview, acting like a novice, not a SUPREME.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    The thing with the 3D vs Supremes [[MSS) is that 3D very much presents themselves as a group. The choreography is tight and the costuming is on point. The song selection, while varied, still focuses on the strengths of the group and seems "current".

MSS is a mEss with three lead singers trying to one up each other; every woman for themselves. I'm sure that's not the case, but a lead and two "backups" worked so well for DMF, DMC, JMC. The stage show is frantic; who do you keep your eyes on? There's 1000 feet of mic cord, the "hits" sound NOTHING like the original recordings, Mary looks sweaty, and the frenzied movements in evening gowns is all too much. And lets's not talk about the dance of the red hanky, lol.
    Definitely agree here!

I would love to see a full Jean Mary Cindy concert...the earlier, the better...as far as program choices and pace of arrangements, the FLOS [[Jean Scherrie and Lynda) concert at the Dominion runs circles around anything live I've ever seen under the group name.

IMHO...the only song that benefitted from a speedier live tempo was In and Out of Love...Diana Ross turned that one into both a great "eye and ear" live performance.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

However The 3 degrees performance posted isn't a lead with two back ups, but they managed to come off as a cohesive group in this performance, with each member getting a chance to stand out without it becoming a competitive free for all.

As for the High Energy scarf dance routine, what gets me is the panting to suggest they are in heat, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    However The 3 degrees performance posted isn't a lead with two back ups, but they managed to come off as a cohesive group in this performance, with each member getting a chance to stand out without it becoming a competitive free for all.

As for the High Energy scarf dance routine, what gets me is the panting to suggest they are in heat, lol!
    Very true, and you nailed it. Cohesive!

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I would love to see a full Jean Mary Cindy concert...
    Until you mentioned it, I don't think I had thought about the fact that I've never seen that lineup- or the Lynda lineup- in concert footage. I have to believe that a live video exists for at least the very early part of Jean's tenure, as Motown still held the group as a priority.

there is a snippet of JMC live wearing the white pantsuits from Andy Williams and Soul Train. now it's not them singing - the audio is missing and so the post just uses All I Want from the JW lp. they're performing in the round and it's a fascinating clip. hard to tell exactly what they're singing but the second half is clearly them doing Ladder in the hits medley.

Jean looks sensational. she's wearing that longer, fuller wig like when on Flip Wilson doing Love The One You're With. and she couldn't look more excited or thrilled to be there

Mary is radiant of course. and man, she is putting energy into her dancing lol. as we've discussed, sometimes mary was over animated and she's approaching that here. but still she looks great. as she swings and dances, you can see the poncho top just flowing and moving. clearly Mary understood how to utilize the gowns and costumes for maximum effect

cindy also looks great but given the stage in the round, she's not on camera as much

again, it's a brief clip but the MJC lineup really could rock

And for direct competition between the two groups, they both did Everybody Gets to go to the Moon in their show.

Supremes: [[medley with Corner of the Sky):

Three Degrees:

the 3 Degree's did TO THE MOON in a scene from the French Connection...

there is also a 3 Degrees LP with a cover pretty much exactly like Mary Scherrie and Susaye...I think its called New Directions....