[REMOVE ADS]

Best Albun Cover ?

What is your favorite Diana-era Supremes album cover and why?

Mine is the 1967 double-disk greatest hits cover because it is so elegant, beautiful, and accurately portrays all three girls. I also love the colors. I wish I had a large copy to frame and hang on my living room wall.

2nd favorite - TCB. This cover exudes raw energy and excitement. And, those gowns !!!
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 08-23-2023 at 07:04 PM.

1. Sing Rogers and hart .love it.
    2. Greatest hits 67...wish the beautiful image on front was larger..
    3.love child
    4.sing HDH

Greatest Hits 1967 - Simply stunning! Perfect stylistic image of the group at their peak.
    More Hits 1965 - Sentimental favorite [my first album!] Perfect cover displaying America's new Sweethearts of Song.

Sorry, Circa. I couldn't choose just one. These two are equally my all-time favorite covers.

Talk of the Town captures the excitement and glamour of the live act.

Love Child due to the backdrop--a nice change of pace and something different as it adds a touch of grit to The Supremes image.

Talk Of The Town - The cover captures the Supremes’ glitz and glamour AND the excitement of a live performance.

Sing HDH - Not sure why, but I love this one.

Love Child

Where Did Our Love Go?....I stared at this cover for hours...Diana's blue hair, Mary's brass hair, and Florence's green hair!

I believe this and A Go Go are truly 60's iconic covers.

I remember reading that the best one is Sing HDH because it was classic strong black women.

But TCB was excellent too - gold, blond hair, at their peak - well one of their peaks

My favorite Supremes LP cover is More Hits by The Supremes. I love the the photos of the ladies and their signatures too. Also like the covers for Sing H-D-H & Greatest Hits.

The Supremes Sing Motown - UK cover. https://www.discogs.com/release/3514...U6NjY1MTI3NQ==

"I Hear a Symphony"-very fitting and elegant
    "More Hits" -3 young ladies who could be your next door neighbors

least favorite- "Cream of the Crop" so cold looking and Diana's imposed solo photo made her look scary to me

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Where Did Our Love Go?....I stared at this cover for hours...Diana's blue hair, Mary's brass hair, and Florence's green hair!

I believe this and A Go Go are truly 60's iconic covers.
    Interesting about the Where Did Our Love Go cover. It's nice; however, back in the day when I first saw it, I thought Diana looked so much older than Mary and Florence.

Like some others, I couldn't pick just one.

My favorite cover from the Flo era is MORE HITS. I always thought the three just looked so young and cute in their individual spaces, with their signatures above their heads. I can't tell you how many times I tried to copy those signatures.

My favorite cover from the Cindy era is probably CREAM OF THE CROP. They were still young, of course, but now they were all glammed up and seasoned. I love how Mary seems to be caught in motion and her facial expression is like "Yeah, I know. We is terrific."

i'd probably have to go with WDOLG simply because it was the first one we had and i would just stare intensely at the photo

I'm in agreement with many of the others listed here. but I'll add A Go Go. i love the massive block font of the title and group's name, the 3 pictures couldn't be more youthful and stylish. the energy and vibe of the cover art perfectly matches the recorded material contained within.

No question, for me it is More Hit By The Supremes. They were in soft focus youthfully innocent [[or so we thought). Their signatures personalized them. I used to stare at that lp cover playing that lp over and over again. It remains my fav Supremes/Motown album.

I was 9 when it was issued. I remember thinking how much Diana looked like Mary Tyler Moore on that cover. Moore was doing the Dick Van Dyke Show. They both boasted big toothy smiles.

Diana's eyes in that photo still grabs me. As does Mary's smile. Flo looks happy to just be there.

I would have to say my favorite cover would be The Supremes Sing Holland Dozier Holland.....the attitude exuding from that photo of the girls is almost palpable!
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    1. Sing Rogers and hart .love it.
    2. Greatest hits 67...wish the beautiful image on front was larger..
    3.love child
    4.sing HDH
    interesting about R&H - i love the concept of the album and the drawing but was so disappointed that they used such an old pic of the girls

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    interesting about R&H - i love the concept of the album and the drawing but was so disappointed that they used such an old pic of the girls
    As someone who has done dozens of mock covers, this was one I had to redo. I updated it using a photo of them on The Andy Williams Show. It fits the glitz and glam of who they were at the time and worked with artist drawing showing the lit marquees of Broadway.

Name:  IMG_5539.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  14.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    As someone who has done dozens of mock covers, this was one I had to redo. I updated it using a photo of them on The Andy Williams Show. It fits the glitz and glam of who they were at the time and worked with artist drawing showing the lit marquees of Broadway.

BRILLIANT!! Love it. So much better than the original.

agreed! major improvement!

i'm not a good graphic artist but i always thought this pic of DMC would have been a great pic for the Greatest Hit Volume 3 release.

Name:  1d66c8ccd868edd6ba06b7c4b041020c--diana-ross.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  66.7 KB

maybe just have the title be "3" perhaps the GHV3 could be spelled out on the back or in a smaller subhead.

Great Redo! I think this cover would have sold a lot more albums in 1967 and further.

This is so, so good!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    agreed! major improvement!

i'm not a good graphic artist but i always thought this pic of DMC would have been a great pic for the Greatest Hit Volume 3 release.

Name:  1d66c8ccd868edd6ba06b7c4b041020c--diana-ross.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  66.7 KB
    Diana's brief Sammy Davis Jr. stage , with the goatee and the open shirt ...

My other fav Talk of the Town.
    Special mention WDOLG 45 pix sleeve

The first italian LP is a favorite of mine :
    https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/7...Supremes-Shake

[and certainly not released in 1964 as indicated on discogs for obvious reasons)

More Hits got mentioned a lot here...the pictures of Florence and Diana are beautiful...the photo they used of Mary? she looks Asian...there is another shot of Mary from that session that is a much better choice.

I thought the artwork for the girls on Join was great...the guys, some were good, some weren't....although A Go Go is not my fav cover, I think it is the most iconic of the 60's LP's...the green writing first cover looked odd...it was a big improvement changing it to blue....the rear pic in the black gowns on Funny Girl was one of my fav pics, and I liked the inside one with Mary and Cindy seated on the floor. They would have made excellent covers.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    More Hits got mentioned a lot here...the pictures of Florence and Diana are beautiful...the photo they used of Mary? she looks Asian...there is another shot of Mary from that session that is a much better choice.
    Although she looks beautiful, I used to wonder why Mary's skin was lightened so much in that photo. Even when MORE HITS was featured on those old Motown inner sleeves with the small album covers, her skin was really fair.

it's a very squinty pic...and Mary probably had the darkest complexion of any Supreme...I saw Mary perform live about 10x...Only former Supreme I ever attended a concert by....she was my fav. I would have loved to see Mary Scherrie and Cindy.

I always attributed Mary's "squinty" look on the cover of MORE HITS to the photo having been taken while she was laughing. Maybe Flo had said something funny to her while she was waiting for her own turn in front of the lens? A fantastical thought, to be sure, but... I always looked at that pic and saw someone who was caught during a laugh. Obviously, from the release of MH: EE, we know there had been many pix snapped of each girl during that photo session. Mary was a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Talk of the Town captures the excitement and glamour of the live act.

Love Child due to the backdrop--a nice change of pace and something different as it adds a touch of grit to The Supremes image.
    Someone once was on a mission to find the alley where the LC photo was taken; I don't know if they ever located it.

I read once it was the Ed Sullivan theatre alley...it looks like it was a residential bldg...isn't there at least 1 large potted plant visible?