[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations in 1961 ...

An ad for a big show in Cleveland back in 61 ...
    Shows how the passage of time effects things ...
    . . . Jerry Butler & Gladys Knight were headliners ... while ... the Temptations still hadn't made it and just got equal billing to Gino Parks & Sammy Ward.
    They hadn't even had a Gordy release yet. They had recently settled on a new lineup; Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin, Elbridge Bryant, Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams. They had auditioned for Motown [[March 1961) but their 1st 45 on Gordy didn't escape till March 62 [[why were they originally placed on Miracle ?). Miracle seemed to be a label where acts were placed that seemed to be classed [[by BG's organisation) as not 'first stringers' [[Jimmy Ruffin for instance).
    Bet the guys in the group who'd made the move from down south to Detroit via Cleveland, would have been catching up with old friends though.Attachment 20964
    Last edited by jsmith; 08-17-2023 at 02:38 AM.

I think it might be that the Temps had both Berry Gordy's Miracle issues in 1961 "Oh Mother of Mine & Romance Without Finance" released & issued on July 05 1961, The other Miracle 45 "Check Yourself & Your Wonderful Love" was released on November 7th 1961.

The First ever "Gordy 7001" record and by the Temps was issued in March 16 1962, the B side "Isn't She Pretty" is from Oct 22 1961, however not issued until 16/03/62. [The A Side "Dream Come True]
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 08-17-2023 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    They hadn't even had a Gordy release yet. They had recently settled on a new lineup; Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin, Elbridge Bryant, Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams. They had auditioned for Motown [[March 1961) but their 1st 45 on Gordy didn't escape till March 62 [[why were they originally placed on Miracle ?). Miracle seemed to be a label where acts were placed that seemed to be classed [[by BG's organisation) as not 'first stringers' [[Jimmy Ruffin for instance).
    Remember that the Miracle label was started by Motown Records in 1961 a year before the Gordy label took it's place and The Temptations debut "Oh Mother Of Mine"/"Romance Without Finance" was the fourth single on the imprint . Miracle was discontinued when there were no hits on the label [aside from The Valadiers' minor hit "Greetings, This Is Uncle Sam"]. And Gordy would be launched with The Tempts' their third single "Dream Come True" in 1962.

Great to see this vintage promo ad from 1961 featuring Jerry Butler, Gladys Knight & The Pips and The Tempts. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    An ad for a big show in Cleveland back in 61 ...
    Shows how the passage of time effects things ...
    . . . Jerry Butler & Gladys Knight were headliners ... while ... the Temptations still hadn't made it and just got equal billing to Gino Parks & Sammy Ward.
    Bet the guys in the group who'd made the move from down south to Detroit via Cleveland, would have been catching up with old friends though.Attachment 20964
    This might have been the engagement that Otis spoke of in one of his interviews for THE MOTOWN STORY album.

Otis mentioned how the Tempts thought they could hold their own until they got to Cleveland and saw how the Pips were moving. It inspired the Tempts to do some more rehearsing and the next time they were on the same bill with the Pips, they held their own.

Hats off to all the performers who persevered through those three shows a day, moving from city to city. That was really paying dues to make it.

I saw the Tempts and the Pips in 1968 at Madison Square Garden on a school night where the Pips out performed the headlining Temps. Sidebar: I was on punishment for going out without permission, but that was well earned punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    hats off to all the performers who persevered through those three shows a day, moving from city to city. That was really paying dues to make it.

I saw the tempts and the pips in 1968 at madison square garden on a school night where the pips out performed the headlining temps. Sidebar: I was on punishment for going out without permission, but that was well earned punishment.
    wow, it's hard to think that they would be outperformed in[68] this was perhaps after david left...i last saw the temps in[87] and the o'jays did out perform them..melvin wasn't there though.

I guess the Temptations had a strong regional following before they became hot nationally 3 years later. Which is why they were billed so high.