[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Alternate takes to listen to from YouTube

Using this old post to launch from, am going to listen to alternate takes of Supremes records by posting them here from youtube

Originally Posted by longtimefan
    I am trying to assemble a complete listing of alternate versions of singles issued by The Supremes [[DMF/C) that have become available on CDs in recent years. By "alternate versions," I mean other versions [[takes) made in the studion at the time of recording as opposed to remixes that were made in later years.

Below is my list so far [[song title and CD in which alternate version exists). What have I overlooked?

Where Did Our Love Go: NONE
    Baby Love: WDOLG Expanded Edition
    Come See About Me: NONE
    Stop! In the Name of Love: 2000 Box Set
    Back in My Arms Again: Lost and Found
    Nothing But Heartaches: NONE
    I Hear a Symphony: Japan Quad
    My World Is Empty Without You: NONE
    Love is Like and itching In my Heart: Extended Version in 2001 Anthology
    You Can't Hurry Love: Lost and Found
    You Keep Me Hanging On: Japan Quad
    Love Is Here and Now You're Gone: Japan Quad
    The Happening: 2000 Box Set
    Reflections: NONE
    In and Out of Love: NONE
    Forever Came Today: NONE
    Some things You Never Get Used To: NONE
    Love Child: Lost and Found
    I'm Living in Shame: Lost and Found
    The Composer: NONE
    No Matter What Sign You Are: 2000 Box Set
    Someday We'll Be Together: Lost and Found
    Inspired by this one and from just now learning of it through the Sirius Radio 60s station that played it:

FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"do another one"
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-15-2023 at 08:25 PM.

I'll stay with the original....it is my fav Supremes song.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I'll stay with the original....it is my fav Supremes song.
    I understand, and on certain days this my favorite Supremes song too !

That's why this alternate version is so exciting to behold ! not a remix or latter day fuss-over but a genuine alternate version from the real players from BITD.
    Do you at least find it educational concerning the process in the creating of what would become your favorite Sup tune?

I prefer the hit version as well.

On this one, Diana seems to be almost overdoing it, rushing some lines. I wonder where this version falls in the order of recording. Was the hit version done before this or after?

It is also interesting that Johnny Bristol's adlibs are the same as those on the hit version so maybe he only had to go into the booth for inspiration once.

There are also alternate takes of Nothin But Heartaches on More Hits EE and The Happening on Sing HDH EE.

What are the differences with the You Keep Me Hanging On: Japan Quad version please?

love the alt takes too. of course nothing really ever passes the originals, but it's fun to hear the others

here's the 70s list too. i've also just included the variations on the songs too

Ladder - mono and stereo mixes are very different. mono is on Pink Box Set. there is also a missing verse. you can find it on Youtube but not an actual extended version. I think George mentioned that this big of the song originally followed the instrumental break. it would fit in between the break and jean singing "We'll laugh and i'll tell you the story of love..."

Bill when are you coming home - just listing this since it was B side AND since the mono version is a different lead by Jean. it too is on Pink Box Set

Everybody - there are a few variations in the mixes of the regular, released version but the really interesting one is the GH&RC version. totally different mix and different lead

River and Stoned - both just had [[inferior IMO) 45 edits from the longer album version. Also if you listen to the Tom Jones version, there are more instruments in the intro. And if you dig around on YouTube for the karaoke version, there again are the fuller, bigger instruments on the intro and a short "oooo" from the backing vocals that must have been edited out.

nathan - mostly just slightly different mixes that have more or less prominent phasing and synth effects. i think one of my fav is the GHARC version.

Touch - tons of different edits and versions. the lp version, the single version, the MW Anthology version and some others

FJ and AS - again tons of versions. they've released multiple edits and lengths of these songs over the years. the MW Anthology versions are unedited

YWSSL - just the 1 released version

IGIMTM - just the 1 released version

BW - there are a few different mixes floating around. i have a bootleg of i think a demo version.

HMM - several different mixes

WDOGFH - just the album and single versions. I think there's an extended version in the vaults still?

Walking - several different versions. album and single version, GHARC version, the alt Scherrie lead on LYG along with the alt Susaye lead on that set. then the version on American Bandstand [[Soul Train used this version but shortened it).

Wheel - tons of different versions

LYG - the lp mix, the 45 mix, the GHARC cassette tape mix.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I prefer the hit version as well.

On this one, Diana seems to be almost overdoing it, rushing some lines. I wonder where this version falls in the order of recording. Was the hit version done before this or after?

It is also interesting that Johnny Bristol's adlibs are the same as those on the hit version so maybe he only had to go into the booth for inspiration once.
    I like the way you think. Yes what take is this?? #3 ? or # 33? where does it fit in in the creative process?? Is she exhausted with it or still becoming comfortable??

I think she sounds a bit ....relaxed here ....perhaps a nip of gin?? hee hee...

and love her comment at the end ... not, "oh no, not again" or "that sounded good enough" "....

Diana knew she hadn't nailed it that time and with a lighthearted shrug was ready to have at it again ....

Aha yes the adlibs are the same [I think, are you sure reese? seems like i hear him more often here ??] suggesting using that element for the song had been confirmed at this point of the recording ...
    imo Johnny Bristol is essential in taking the vibe of this song to the next level ... I almost think he should have gotten billing on the record ...
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-16-2023 at 12:20 PM.

Diana’s vocals sound far more polished and forthright on the released single version, but this is fun to listen to.
    Generally not a huge fan of alternate versions which usually sound like dry practice runs until they managed to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I like the way you think. Yes what take is this?? #3 ? or # 33? where does it fit in in the creative process?? Is she exhausted with it or still becoming comfortable??

I think she sounds a bit ....relaxed here ....perhaps a nip of gin?? hee hee...

and love her comment at the end ... not, "oh no, not again" or "that sounded good enough" "....

Diana knew she hadn't nailed it that time and with a lighthearted shrug was ready to have at it again ....

Aha yes the adlibs are the same [I think, are you sure reese? seems like i hear him more often here ??] suggesting using that element for the song had been confirmed at this point of the recording ...
    imo Johnny Bristol is essential in taking the vibe of this song to the next level ... I almost think he should have gotten billing on the record ...
    At the end, Diana laughs and says "Do another one."

There might be a few extra "Hmmms" from Johnny here and there. And I think his track is mixed a bit louder. But I think this is same vocal track from Johnny that was used on the single.

Considering Diana’s reputation for being a bit of a madam, she always sounds quite amiable whenever heard speaking at the end of vocal takes. The expanded “Touch Me In The Morning” reveals another example of this where she talks of getting a cold.
    Perhaps it was mainly during the rca years where she was at her temperamental worst, improving again on her return to Motown.
    Just a thought…..

yeah we've heard horror stories of diana in the studio but i don't know that she was always 100% to blame for that.

diana is a perfectionist and so if she is working with someone that isn't up to her level, she's gonna be a challenge. for instance, Masser supposedly had some serious substance abuse issues and that's something Diana is not very tolerant of. plus he and other producers would have her do take after take after take. imagine having to sing One More Chance 25 times in a row lol. that could be quite frustrating.

and of course there are stories of her not liking a song, maybe not being as rehearsed as she might have been, etc. She is human after all

but in general much of the producer feedback [[at least during the motown years) was strong. HDH knew she had a temper but they also knew she was flawless. she would do these song in rapid fire.

also her movie producers and directors said she was very professional

i think a big problem with the RCA years is that she really just didn't care as much about the music. she was focused much more on other parts of her life and career and sort of approached the music in a haphazard way.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yeah we've heard horror stories of diana in the studio but i don't know that she was always 100% to blame for that.

diana is a perfectionist and so if she is working with someone that isn't up to her level, she's gonna be a challenge.
    In the 1985 book DIANA, Deke Richards said that he was initially intimidated working with Diana and scared to give her instructions. During one session, she hit a flat note and Deke was afraid to tell her. He told her that he thought she hit a flat note and she asked him why didn't he know if it was flat or not.

Finally, Deke told her that the note was indeed flat and Diana replied "Fine. If its flat, its flat and I'll do it over."

i love having the little bit of studio chatter on the EE tracks and all. and then in some of the books [[like 85's Diana and then the recent Randy bio on her), having them provide more insights

George mentions in Randy's appendix on the R&H album that apparently Diana was having problems with her headphones in the studio. guess they were cutting out or something. and they'd been in the studio a LONG time getting those tracks done with Gil and Berry. i guess Johnny One Note was recorded towards the end of the sessions and towards the very end of the song, she breaks and complains about the headphones. but it was close enough to the end of the song that they just faded her out and that's why the track continues without Diana at the very end.

i think a big problem with the RCA years is that she really just didn't care as much about the music. she was focused much more on other parts of her life and career and sort of approached the music in a haphazard way.
    And the money, lol.

I love alternate vocals or takes, but alternate mixes don't do much for me, and I usually can't tell the difference.

I love those nuggets the the extra verses in "LOVE CHILD" or "AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE", or the completely different vocals on "SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER" or "LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART".

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I love alternate vocals or takes, but alternate mixes don't do much for me, and I usually can't tell the difference.

I love those nuggets the the extra verses in "LOVE CHILD" or "AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE", or the completely different vocals on "SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER" or "LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART".
    some of the alt mixes are great if there is something significant to hear. like the additional strings on the intro to Getting Ready For Love. wow!! did that make the intro just explode! but others you almost have to listen to back-to-back and with a high quality set of noise cancelling headphones

and yes. lol i've done that

she had a lot more if not all the power in the productions at RCA....that could be why it has been said they were her most troubling studio moments....other than the Chic LP I don't think she had a heavy hand in production while at Motown....there are good cuts on ea. RCA LP...the full LP version of Swept Away is IMHO her 80's upbeat prime...but her Debut LP, Baby It's Me and Ross '78 and To Love Again LP's trump the RCA LP's as a whole listen for me...there are very few LP's in the 1000+ of vinyl and CD's I own that I can say I like EVERY song on...there are always 1 or 2 tracks I find I dislike enough to skip on most LPS..in the entire Ross/Supremes output, the only 2 LPS I love every song on are Floy Joy and High Energy...

i love having the little bit of studio chatter on the EE tracks and all. and then in some of the books [[like 85's Diana and then the recent Randy bio on her), having them provide more insights

George mentions in Randy's appendix on the R&H album that apparently Diana was having problems with her headphones in the studio. guess they were cutting out or something. and they'd been in the studio a LONG time getting those tracks done with Gil and Berry. i guess Johnny One Note was recorded towards the end of the sessions and towards the very end of the song, she breaks and complains about the headphones. but it was close enough to the end of the song that they just faded her out and that's why the track continues without Diana at the very end.
    I think you are mixing up two instances. It was during the session for "Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart" where she said "These earphones are going out!" The "Johnny One Note" session was done at the end of a session and at the end she stopped and said to Gil "I'm tired."

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I think you are mixing up two instances. It was during the session for "Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart" where she said "These earphones are going out!" The "Johnny One Note" session was done at the end of a session and at the end she stopped and said to Gil "I'm tired."
    ah yes! that's right

and of course the sneeze on TMITM after she had said "hmm i must be catching a cold" and then giggles after she sneezed lol

next!

You Keep Me Hanging On: Japan Quad
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    What are the differences with the You Keep Me Hanging On: Japan Quad version please?
    I'm probably the wrong person to be commandeering this thread and maybe some of these titles may not be on youtube ....

But perhaps this is the Japanese Quad version ......and if it is, perhaps someone has stretched it??? Don't know - and such little effort is often made by the poster to explain what it is they are presenting ---

So here is :
    You Keep Me Hangin' On [[Extended Alternate Version)

what ever that means:

I'm sure someone here can properly sort it out
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-18-2023 at 02:08 PM.