[REMOVE ADS]

The Glass House 1970 I Can't Be You

I have the 2 CD set Inside Glass House / Thanks, I Needed That....the day I brought my Partners LP I found a Inside Glass House record in the cheapy pile....I saw the INVICTUS Lp label, and picked it out...no cover...just the green thick paper common generic LP sleeve...for 0.99 I couldn't pass it up...I also have the glass blocks cover BEST OF GLASS HOUSE CD.....Scherrie composed some good songs for GH...Horse and Rider is one of them....I like If It Ain't Love It Don't Matter, Hotel, and Crumbs the best.

I love The Glass House and Scherrie is a talented songwriter. I wish Scherrie and Susaye could have continued as The Supremes and written music specifically for the group.

I still have my Glass House 45's. One of my all time fave gospel records is "Touch Me Jesus" by the Glass House, but its actually The Blossoms with Darlene Love on lead.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I still have my Glass House 45's. One of my all time fave gospel records is "Touch Me Jesus" by the Glass House, but its actually The Blossoms with Darlene Love on lead.
    ...... Why ???

This is absolutely priceless footage; don't think I'd ever seen any of the group before. Thanks for posting.

I have seen this before. Glass House was a good group and all of the members seem quite talented here. Cute and clever, if somewhat pedestrian song. I definitely like Crumbs more. Scherrie just radiates star power even in a small role in this song. No wonder Mary Wilson liked what she heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    ...... Why ???
    If I remember correctly, Darlene Love wrote that Invictus offered the Blossoms a bad deal and their lawyer advised them not to sign it. The next thing they knew, it was released under the Glass House's name.

I've seen this clip many times, been on YouTube for years. Isn't young Miss Scherrie working that body suit?

What tickles me is the guy in blue. His somewhat spastic, unrhythmic dancing seems like he is trying to steal the stage. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    If I remember correctly, Darlene Love wrote that Invictus offered the Blossoms a bad deal and their lawyer advised them not to sign it. The next thing they knew, it was released under the Glass House's name.
    How in the world does releasing a fake single like this benefit Glass House???

If I remember rightly, Darlene Love's introduction to Invictus / Hot Wax came through her sister, Honey Cone Edna Wright.

How in the world does releasing a fake single like this benefit Glass House???
    Well it may not benefit the group but it does get the name "The Glass House" out there [after all, H-D-H owned the name of the group so they could do that]. And they didn't have to pay Darlene Love for her work [shades of what happened to her when she recorded for Phil Spector in the early '60s].

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Well it may not benefit the group but it does get the name "The Glass House" out there [after all, H-D-H owned the name of the group so they could do that]. And they didn't have to pay Darlene Love for her work [shades of what happened to her when she recorded for Phil Spector in the early '60s].
    I guess they learned first hand from their Supremes days, it doesn't really matter who sings on the records .....

tune itself is kinda catchy ...can almost hear shades of WE ARE FAMILY at times. The random rattling off of the zodiac signs at the end .....hee haw ...
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-19-2023 at 03:49 AM.

tune itself is kinda catchy ...can almost hear shades of WE ARE FAMILY at times. The random rattling off of the zodiac signs at the end .....hee haw ...
    Yes Indeed! I Love "I Can't Be You [You Can't Be Me]". The song is very catchy and it manages to hit upon two popular trends of the early '70s; the 'do your own thing' movement & astrology. And I prefer The Glass House's random rattling of the Zodiac Signs on this record over The Supremes' "No Matter What Sign You Are".
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 08-19-2023 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes Indeed! I Love "I Can't Be You [You Can't Be Me]". The song is very catchy and it manages to hit upon two popular trends of the early '70s; the 'do your own thing' movement & astrology. And I prefer The Glass House's random rattling of the Zodiac Signs on this record over The Supremes' "No Matter What Sign You Are".
    good points.

and there it is, song explained in the closing moments .... I cant be you and you can't be me ....there's no possible way , the reason being - I'm born a Sagittarius and you're born a Capricorn.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-20-2023 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Reese, and just to continue Darlene's unending tale of woe, after getting the shaft from HDH, she finally got a break when Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff signed her to Philadelphia International Records -- only to have Phil Spector find out about it and buy her contract back from Philly Intl. Poor Darlene couldn't catch a break -- not with Gamble & Huff selling her out the way they did. [[Sorry for getting side-tracked here, but that story has always bugged me and needed to be told.)

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Reese, and just to continue Darlene's unending tale of woe, after getting the shaft from HDH, she finally got a break when Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff signed her to Philadelphia International Records -- only to have Phil Spector find out about it and buy her contract back from Philly Intl. Poor Darlene couldn't catch a break -- not with Gamble & Huff selling her out the way they did. [[Sorry for getting side-tracked here, but that story has always bugged me and needed to be told.)
    Yes, I remember reading that in Darlene's book. An interesting read, for sure.