[REMOVE ADS]

Master of Eyes......Aretha Franklin at her Absolute Best!

This is one song that shows the true skill and talent Aretha Franklin possessed that no one else had! I never get tired of hearing this one: "Master of Eyes [[the Deepness of Your Eyes)!"

Marv
    You never cease to amaze me! I was getting ready to go to bed and lo and behold you posted my favorite song of Arethas. I never get tired of hearing this and I remember for years trying to find it on youtube a few years ago it go up and then be taken down and someone else would post it. I have the 45 but I like to listen to it on the computer as well. I saw her do it on Soul Train and I could never figure out why it was not one of her bigger hits it got a lot of airplay here in DC. Oh well at least I can hear Miss Aretha in all her glory,
    Steph thanks a lot!

Brilliant song and LP. I've heard that Aretha has the rights to the album and kept it from being reissued. Anybody have any info on this?

This was a bonus track on the Rhino reissue of 1973's Quincy Jones collaboration Hey Now, Hey Now - The Other Side of the Sky. If discussions of the collaboration were correct, the marriage of their talents saw a rocky road.

Quote Originally Posted by texassoul View Post
    Brilliant song and LP. I've heard that Aretha has the rights to the album and kept it from being reissued. Anybody have any info on this?
    I think Aretha has rights to the albums: WITH EVERYTHING I FEEL IN ME, YOU, SWEET PASSION, ALMIGHTY FIRE, and LA DIVA. To date, none have been released on cd.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    This was a bonus track on the Rhino reissue of 1973's Quincy Jones collaboration Hey Now, Hey Now - The Other Side of the Sky. If discussions of the collaboration were correct, the marriage of their talents saw a rocky road.
    In his book, Jerry Wexler wrote that this album was originally supposed to be a jazz album. Then they changed focus, and went on to make a regular soul album. He also mentioned that it took a long time to record.

For me, HEY NOW HEY was the first Aretha album that I was disappointed in. Aside from SOMEWHERE, MOODY'S MOOD, and ANGEL, I didn't care for much of it. Years later, some of the outtakes were released, and they sound better than most of the songs that made the album.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Marv
    You never cease to amaze me! I was getting ready to go to bed and lo and behold you posted my favorite song of Arethas. I never get tired of hearing this and I remember for years trying to find it on youtube a few years ago it go up and then be taken down and someone else would post it. I have the 45 but I like to listen to it on the computer as well. I saw her do it on Soul Train and I could never figure out why it was not one of her bigger hits it got a lot of airplay here in DC. Oh well at least I can hear Miss Aretha in all her glory,
    Steph thanks a lot!
    Stephanie, this is one of those recordings you take with you to an island! I first heard it in February 1973 that's how much I like it if I remember the time I first heard it.

It has many different elements to it. Aretha starts out so melodic and by the end of the song she cannot restrain herself. That fact puts the lyrics and the song over big time for me. They [[Atlantic Records) had a lot of cofidence in her I can tell by how she just let's loose, ad libs ,etc. It is one of her greatest works in my opinon. I don't really care about it's chart ranking, this is one of those rare recordings where you "feel" the artists' soul coming from the grooves!

Quote Originally Posted by texassoul View Post
    I don't know. I do know that it took me years to find this song again and it was on the Atlantic "Queen of Soul" Box Set.

Thanks Copley!

I don't why it was left off of the album, "Hey Now Hey" at the time. It would have enabled the album to do better in my opinion.

Everything about this song works. From the sinister sounding opening, the chanting of the background singers and Aretha alternating between control and abandonment! This was one of her best y'all! LOL!

a real winner, marv! one of the most slept on singles by the queen! i never heard this song, until i saw her on soultrain performing it, truly amazing!