[REMOVE ADS]

Another love letter to Detroit soul music

Hi!

Our friend and top musician DREW SCHULTZ is about to release a compilation titled "Back to Class, Vol. 2" with some of Detroit's finest artists and musicians. Below he tells more about it:

https://www.soulexpress.net/drewschultz2023.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

Hi, still...

I forgot to list that the album contains new music by the Four Tops, Carolyn Crawford, Dennis Coffey, Melvin Davis, Ronnie McNeir, the Fantastic Four and many more. The article includes a new video of Spyder Turner's music.

Best regards
    Heikki
    Last edited by heikki; 08-16-2023 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi, still...

I forgot to list that the album contains new music by the Four Tops, Carolyn Crawford, Dennis Coffey, Melvin Davis, Ronnie McNeir, the Fantastic Four and many more. The article includes a new video by Speder Turner.

Best regards
    Heikki
    Great to hear that someone is keeping the Detroit Sound alive with Drew Schultz' Back To Class, Vol. 2. Thanks for sharing the news.

Best Always,
    Eddie

Fantastic! Drew,if you're looking in, let me know when the album drops, I'll put it on the SD Forum if you like.

Hi Drew

Congratulations on the new volume 2 project.

Great song "Give it Up" featuring Spyder Turner.

Love the photos especially of Eddie and Dennis!

Glad to know you are keeping the sound alive!

Always enjoyed the original Fantastic Four with James Epps as lead vocalist!

Abraham

Hey everyone!

Heikki - thank you so much for reviewing the album and for doing all you do for soul music journalism!

Ralph - thanks a million - the album will release on Sept. 9th and I will let you know when it's all up and running! I'd be happy to post the songs to the forum once it's all out there. "Give It Up" [[feat. Spyder Turner) and "So You Want To Make Me Happy" [[feat. Melvin Davis & Wayne Kramer) are currently released. "Long Term Plan" [[feat. Carolyn Crawford) will be out this Saturday 8/19. On 8/26 "Too Quick Caller" [[feat. Joe Pep Harris, Steve Calloway & Wendell Calloway) will be out, and on 9/2 "Delusions" [[feat. Four Tops, Dennis Coffey & Antwaun Stanley) will be released. The entire album will be out on 9/9.

Abraham - thank you!!! I love your new project, and always love to hear live musicians on the tracks! What I've heard has sounded great.

Below are the two songs currently released, and the guest list of artists. 50% of the profits from these recordings will benefit the music programs of the Detroit Public Schools.

Back To Class, Vol. 2 features:

- Four Tops [[iconic Motown vocal group)
    - Eddie Willis, Joe Messina, and Dennis Coffey of The Funk Brothers [[Motown’s Studio Recording Band)
    - Melvin Davis [[of The 8th Day, Holland/Dozier/Holland Recording Artist)
    - Wayne Kramer of MC5
    - Antwaun Stanley [[Vocalist and Vulfpeck Collaborator)
    - Joe “Pep” Harris [[of Undisputed Truth, The Peps, former Motown Recording Artist)
    - Reginald Torian [[of The Impressions)
    - Mark Scott [[of The Miracles)
    - Harrison Kennedy [[of Chairmen of the Board)
    - Billy Prince [[of The Precisions)
    - Yvonne Vernee [[of The Elgins, former Motown Recording Artist)
    - Carolyn Crawford [[former Motown Recording Artist)
    - Spyder Turner [[former Motown / MGM / Whitfield Records Recording Artist)
    - Pat Lewis [[vocalist with Isaac Hayes, Aretha Franklin, Motown)
    - Willie Jones [[of The Royal Jokers)
    - Tommy Good [[former Motown Recording Artist)
    - The Fantastic Four [[current lineup of the former Ric TIc / Motown / Westbound Records group)
    - Al Kent [[Ric Tic, Golden World, Motown Songwriter & Recording Artist)
    - Steve & Wendell Calloway [[of The Professionals)
    - Ronnie McNeir [[of the Four Tops, former Motown Recording Artist)
    - Charles “Buddy” Smith [[Northern Soul & Detroit Blues Icon)
    - Thornetta Davis [[Detroit's Queen of the Blues)

Thanks so much once again everyone! Looking forward to finally getting this out, and thanks once again to Heikki for the article on SoulExpress!

https://www.soulexpress.net/drewschultz2023.htm

Brilliant Drew and what a great read Heikki. You’re both brilliant stalwarts in your different fields. I’ll be listening to the songs tomorrow